IGNORED

Testing RAM with different brands and models, seems to have more difference than I thought

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Testing different RAM with different models and capacity during past few days. They all give different sound signature more than my expectations. Well, I've been doing this for a long while since DDR2 time but maybe my system has become more resolving and better to make more dramatic changes. I'm using bit-perfect playback btw. May consider modifying some like I did for long time ago too.

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

Any preliminary findings in favour of a particular Brand or size, and do you think that the PSU area is the reason for some of the perceived differences ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 hours ago, sandyk said:

Any preliminary findings in favour of a particular Brand or size, and do you think that the PSU area is the reason for some of the perceived differences ?

So far nothing conclusive yet. Some has different charm. Over Corsair I picked has lowest CAS latency among the same 2400MHz frequency. It tends to perform better than others in theory and more ambient and body. However, its dynamics gotten soften up a bit and not solid like the rest despite being the longest run stick.

5 hours ago, bibo01 said:

It would be important to know the whole testing setup as well... thanks

I'm conducting tests on developing low powered design with Intel i7 desktop processor version with developing linear power supply.

you may want to alter your testing to include some type of shielding around the  memory used. IMHO what one often hears is not a sound from the media used but rather interaction  with neighboring electronics on the board. Gaming memory used to include metal heat sinks covering the board (Ballistix?)

Doesn't address memory board caused voltage noise of course...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

13 minutes ago, davide256 said:

you may want to alter your testing to include some type of shielding around the  memory used. IMHO what one often hears is not a sound from the media used but rather interaction  with neighboring electronics on the board. Gaming memory used to include metal heat sinks covering the board (Ballistix?)

Doesn't address memory board caused voltage noise of course...

For testing's fairness, I try to keep everything as factory built for now.

22 hours ago, Windows X said:

For testing's fairness, I try to keep everything as factory built for now.

Have you made any changes involving the Linear PSU you are developing , especially in the area of filter capacitor types and values ?

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 hours ago, Windows X said:

It's a new design so yes everything is changed and still developing. :)

Regards, 

Keetakawee

At least with internal SSDs , both the OS and a Music SSD, you will find that if you regulate the internal +12V down to a much lower noise +5V supply that the SQ will change to some extent due to the types and values of the filter capacitors used. If for example, the output impedance of the PSU is much lower at 100kHz due to the use of very Low ESR electrolytic capacitors, the sound will become more HF detailed.  Yes, I know that this ISN'T supposed to happen with Digital.¬¬ You will then be able to hear small differences between files saved to HDD compared with the same files saved to SSDs with cleaner power when played from System Memory.

Incidentally, the PSU issue is exactly the same with the Optical device used for ripping CDs .

The cleaner the PSU for the Optical device, the better the rip sounds.

I will not be further responding in this thread to the usual know-it-alls,  ONLY via a P.M. 

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

At least with internal SSDs , both the OS and a Music SSD, you will find that if you regulate the internal +12V down to a much lower noise +5V supply that the SQ will change to some extent due to the types and values of the filter capacitors used. If for example, the output impedance of the PSU is much lower at 100kHz due to the use of very Low ESR electrolytic capacitors, the sound will become more HF detailed.  Yes, I know that this ISN'T supposed to happen with Digital.¬¬ You will then be able to hear small differences between files saved to HDD compared with the same files saved to SSDs with cleaner power when played from System Memory.

Incidentally, the PSU issue is exactly the same with the Optical device used for ripping CDs .

The cleaner the PSU for the Optical device, the better the rip sounds.

I will not be further responding in this thread to the usual know-it-alls,  ONLY via a P.M. 

I know a friend who builds linear power supply with two transformer for 12V and 5V feeding Plextor Premium 2 drive so I understand what you mean. Don't let bits are bits believer get you down. They never have that kind of experience to understand.

Regards,

Keetakawee

P.S. Keeping things as factory applies to RAM only. I don't want to modify each RAM to compare yet. ;)

13 minutes ago, Windows X said:

I know a friend who builds linear power supply with two transformer for 12V and 5V feeding Plextor Premium 2 drive so I understand what you mean. Don't let bits are bits believer get you down. They never have that kind of experience to understand. 

Regards,

Keetakawee

P.S. Keeping things as factory applies to RAM only. I don't want to modify each RAM to compare yet. ;)

Hi Teetakawee

They don't get me down, they just piss me off with their closed minded attitudes based mainly on  theoretical stuff they were taught at Uni decades earlier, instead of REAL hands on practical experience in the area.

Incidentally, if you want a slightly warmer presentation with audio files , a bit like Valve type warmth, also use some electrolytic capacitors such as the Elna for Audio types in the PSU area for SSDs,  as well as something like the Panasonic FC for the upper HF area.

The attached is a cheap way to investigate the PSU area of SSDs, by playing around with electro types.

You can also replace the rectifier diodes with Schottky 1N5822 and the trimpot with a 2K resistance type for a finer adjustment.

Kind Regards

Alex

40uV voltage regulator for +5V SSD supply.jpg

15 hours ago, sandyk said:

Hi Teetakawee

They don't get me down, they just piss me off with their closed minded attitudes based mainly on  theoretical stuff they were taught at Uni decades earlier, instead of REAL hands on practical experience in the area.

Incidentally, if you want a slightly warmer presentation with audio files , a bit like Valve type warmth, also use some electrolytic capacitors such as the Elna for Audio types in the PSU area for SSDs,  as well as something like the Panasonic FC for the upper HF area.

The attached is a cheap way to investigate the PSU area of SSDs, by playing around with electro types.

You can also replace the rectifier diodes with Schottky 1N5822 and the trimpot with a 2K resistance type for a finer adjustment.

Kind Regards

Alex

40uV voltage regulator for +5V SSD supply.jpg

Glad to hear that and thank you for sharing your tips with us here. :)

13 hours ago, One and a half said:

The server / workstation type motherboards tend to use ECC RAM. Apart from reliability, would there be any sonic advantages?

Technically non-ECC RAM should be better but some of my friends told me using ECC RAM sounds better. It's server grade so they probably use better grade components on ECC RAM to deliver which may play significant role too. Or maybe it's more about synergy working better with ECC RAM on their cases.

Regards,

Keetakawee

It would be interesting to see if changing the CAS latency has any sonic affects. My gut says yes.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room