IGNORED

Best Audiophile USB Card ?

On 6/29/2020 at 12:27 AM, matthias said:

Yes, go for the Startech and please share your impressions 🙂

Matt

I purchased the newer edition with 1 USB A and 1 USB C output. I recommend it as a stopgap until you get the itch to go with a true Audiophile card:

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/~PEXUSB311AC3

This was a noticable improvement over the Asus Strix Z390-I USB 2.0 ports. 

Very interested in the Pink Faun USB bridge and JCAT Femto USB XE. I am wondering if the latter will be worthwhile on my Linux system though. Some say the Jcat cards work more optimally with Windows.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, OAudio said:

Hi,

This is the OAudio RealStream USB card which I hope people will find interesting.

It's designed and constructed without compromise for what I think might be the ultimate in USB sound reproduction. Sound quality is best simply described as "next level".   

A few details:

• Highly developed master USB RealStream clock subsystem incorporated onto the card.
  • 12 LDOs for people that count, many more commonly found in applications like top end RF test equipment.
  • Two user configurable USB ports
  1. Both ports No1 and No2 can have USB chipset firmware changes applied to modify the USB chipset's transmission characteristics.   
  2. In addition Port 1 has a bespoke system controlled via setting controllers at the rear of the card to allow Port 1's USB transmission signal integrity parameters to be modified to suit down stream system and musical taste.
  • Various Power options including PCIE sourced or dedicated 12 volt to rear of card.

No plans currently to offer this commercially but without a doubt listening to it, I think it is a contender for the title of this thread :)

Enjoy.

OAudio

20210411_120718

RealStream USB back 2

Thanks for sharing @OAudio So this card is voiced for a server you will be offering as well, correct? 

Exciting times.

Cheers,

-Rob

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, prinz said:

- after I red what one of our colleagues wrote about Taiko ATX - I decided not to proceed with the pre-order, as I am afraid it will make my gear sound too open and too detailed.

Interesting. This does not mirror my experience with the Taiko DC-ATX. To my ears it has been an upgrade from the HDPlex 800W device on all fronts. Nothing too open or detailed about the sound, but a step closer to live music. (My subjective feedback of course)

1 hour ago, prinz said:

I was really surprised to hear that ULTRA sounds: warmer, heavier, more like analog tape, with high 'foot tapping' factor, more organic, less digital, Little bit smoother, maybe even laid back a little (VS forward presentation of OCXO).

At this moment in time (so quite early) I need to say that Ultra has different sound signature than OCXO.

Maybe it improves OCXO strong points by ~20% (details, resolution etc) but whats even more noticeable - it shifts the type of presentation. OCXO was like LCD or LED, while Ultra OCXO is like Plasma TV :)

Thank you! If you don't mind my inquiry...which OS are you using?

Cheers,

-Rob

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, flkin said:

Hey Rob, are you saying you are plugging the sclk-ex clock output programmed at 20MHz into the Jcat? If so, can you share what cable you used (length, impedance etc) and the sclk-ex power source?

Correct - and the 75ohm input was also enabled, with a Mutec Ref10 reclocking the sclk-ex board. Here is the cable: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hirose-Connector/U.FL-2LPHF6-088N1T-AC-150?qs=Znm5pLBrcAKMUSb53pim9w%3D%3D&countryCode=US&currencyCode=USD

That is the length and impedance.

In both tests above, the TX-UsbHubin is cleaning up the signal again before the DAC, as I have built a jumper cable from the JCAT USB XE to the Tx-USBhubin. 

The sclk-ex is powered by a Sean Jacobs DC4 and so is the JCAT USB XE.

12 hours ago, flkin said:

The 2023 Pink Faun v2 USB card has finally arrived. 😄

IMG_3860.thumb.jpeg.a7c3c313a2627381893cd607dfc57604.jpeg

In my streamer burning in now 24/7. Probably will take a week or so. But I couldn’t resist having a quick listen first. Sounds very promising in comparison to my old v1 card with OCXO. Treble quality as yet can’t quite match the old card presently but the rest is good. 

More to come once the burn is done. 

Wasn’t able to locate clock options. Is the V2 not compatible with the Pink Faun clock boards?

Did the card you’re comparing to use the Ultra clock?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 1:02 AM, flkin said:

100 hour mini review of the Pink Faun USB v2 bridge (card)

For the discussion below, I refer to v1 but that is the older v1 card with the Ultra clock module attached. This card is warmed at least 24 hours (makes a big difference when cold). The v2 is burned in around 100 hours.

Both are externally powered by a 5V Paul Hynes DR7t+ double regulated, extreme version.

After burning in the v2 for around 100 hours, my overall impression is this:

- More accurate modern sound

- Tight, controlled, great imaging which can challenge the v1

- Detailed and dynamic

- At the upper edge of dynamic sounds, the treble was a little shouty during the break-in time. After 100 hours of burn, this seemed to have reduced but not gone

Compared to v1:

- V1 is more liquid softer sounding, natural but slightly less clear

- Bass slightly less tight than v2

- Slightly more body, thicker in the lower mids and bass especially when clock is not warmed up.

- Vocals remain preferable especially with female voices. More analogue? Feeling of being present and real with no treble issues.

I think both cards can appeal to different audiophiles in different ways. After spending a lot of time optimising my system with the v1 inserted, it’s not surprising that I prefer its sound. And at 4 times the price, this should be the case. That said, I was surprised at the v2 performance. That newer tighter sound is engaging.

For those using Euphony as the playback software, one can try switching kernels 5.14 and 5.18 as an optimising tool to balance the sound character of the v1 and v2 cards. It is possible to use the v1 card with Euphony 5.18 kernel which then gives the modern sound of the v2.

And for those wanting to add a bit of the Pink Faun clock magic - natural sounding, spatial awareness and emotional connection especially to vocals, will have to wait for the Ultra card due later this year. Perhaps they will incorporate some of the newer tech of the v2 card into it as well? 

Some of the tracks used for this evaluation:

Screenshot2023-09-28at6_55_36PM.jpg.23d851ca63bd76606f81f0ac00667673.jpg

Live a FIP - Musica Nuda

Tracks: Quando, I will survive

Great live album where bass lines and dynamic vocals show the extreme edges of the system

Screenshot2023-09-28at6_56_45PM.jpg.0a44ed2e85c1a86f94e0b8d5ef015540.jpg

Chasing a Dream - Gabor Csordas

Tracks: Chasing a dream, Fresh

The electric bass guitar and drums are pretty good tests for bass resolution and separation.

Screenshot2023-09-28at6_56_10PM.jpg.1b466193ffa231f7a3141576c3a507f1.jpg

Alive at the Village Vanguard - Fred Hersch, Esperanza Spalding

Tracks: A Wish

Esperanza voice is goosebump real when the system is firing well. Emotional engagement at 100%. Lots of 'things' happening in the venue background which can show resolution power of the system 

My system details within which the cards were playing is in the signature link below.

@flkin I enjoyed reading this!

Looking forward to your journey with the Ultra card.

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2023 at 2:33 AM, flkin said:

This character doesn't overwhelm the performance of the card, it's just one aspect of the sound. Just one data point in my own system.

The card is out on loan to a friend who is considering a modded version of the card with the existing clock swapped into a U.FL connector and then using an external reference clock. I'll try again after it's back from its rounds and when it's reached say 200-250 hours burn.

Hi @flkin do you happen to have an update on this journey? Thanks

16 hours ago, Acholate said:

I did a quick comparison against my broken JCAT XE card, where it only works intermittently. My JCAT XE card may sound off because it is broken. So, take my impression with a grain of salt.

Compared to JCAT XE:

• Highs are sweeter with less attack at the top.
  • Vocals have a bit more holographic quality.
  • There's slightly less bass and mid-bass; overall sound becomes more mid-focused.

The difference I described is quite small. Both cards sound pretty similar in my opinion.

It’s interesting that the two were so close. Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/6/2024 at 4:28 AM, flkin said:

Finally the long awaited Pink Faun Ultra USB bridge is complete and just about to be delivered to their first owners next week. 😄

Last year 2023 when I found out about it, I visited Pink Faun in Rhenen to have a first look and wrote up about that visit is here. Being a long time Pink Faun user, I am fortunate to be in this first pre-production batch of 10 units.

It’s taken a little longer than planned but the team has taken the time to revise the locking lip of the USB Ultra’s aluminium case so it can fit both the current 2.16 Ultra streamer, which was what it was designed for, and the older 2.16x cases where full height cards usually needs some adjustment to fit. The Ultra card is 1.5x the width of a PCIe slot due to the new case which serves as an EMI shield and heat sink for the new super-capacitor power components and Ultra OCXO clock inside and so it will need 2 free full sized PCIe slots to fit. External power will be 5V/2A through what will probably be a 2.5mm barrel plug but there seems to also be an internal 4-pin Molex power socket too. It will be interesting to compare the internal Molex supply buffered by the super capacitors to a good external DC supply. This is significant since good DC supplies and their associated audiophile cables are not cheap. 

1(18).thumb.jpeg.4ff08dc2c6b3b0488e82b6ad6068c003.jpeg

1(19).thumb.jpeg.241bdc1139a45e60b9e9c2126fdeaf0c.jpeg

1(20).thumb.jpeg.18681bc6371849031ab4c06e6d62ff17.jpeg

Jord informs me that the card will be officially launched on their website before the Munich show in May. The 2nd batch is sold out with units ready later this month and production of the 3rd batch is on the way. I’m told the current plan is to sell only to existing Pink Faun owners for €3250 ex. VAT making this probably the highest price USB card in existence!

Once I get my unit and have sometime with it, I will write my impressions about how it sounds. At this price, it is not a trivial purchase and it would have to out perform the existing v2 card substantially to make it worth the asking price. I recently found that the existing v2 card already outperformed the older v1/ultraOCXO card so this will be a difficult target to reach indeed. Let’s see soon!

Regards to all, Kin

Looking forward to your feedback! Needless to say, the form-factor is interesting and gives the impression of quality. Typical for Pink Faun 😎

Unfortunately I am priced out of purchasing this card at the stated price point.

@flkin have you had a chance to demo the SOTM USBx10g or Jcat USB XE + Master OCXO?