IGNORED

dbpoweramp vs EAC for scratched discs?

I've been using dbpoweramp for a year or so now. I find that it is fine for discs in excellent condition, but in my experience I have to use EAC (secure, test and copy) for scratched CDs. I just bought a bunch of classical CDs that look like the previous owner really enjoyed them and about a quarter of them are stalling on dbpoweramp but ripping fine with no errors in EAC. I've had similar experiences in the past.

Try changing the error sensitivity before cancelling rip and associated settings in dbpoweramp. 

EAC suggests trying the fastest insecure ripping mode on troublesome discs (more relevant to perfect condition CD-R releases).  Experimenting with the results of this on both programs can sometimes produce acceptable results with damaged discs by comparing known problematic time signatures the program hung up otherwise.

I've had a similar experience in the past.  

Once had a disc found under the floormat of a car.  It looked like you'd taped it to your shoe and walked on gravel.  Fellow was asking if I could recover it.  I didn't know.  But 11 hours later EAC had every track.  Two tracks had momentary glitches, but would play.  No player would even attempt to play them.  EAC and an HP CD-ROM drive just kept reading, and reading and working and working until it managed to recover it.  Pretty amazing I thought. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.