IGNORED

Article: dCS Takes My Audio System To Another Level

27 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

I'm a dCS Vivaldi owner, and have been the beneficiary of John Quick's patient telephonic advice on numerous occasions.  John and dCS provide a much higher level of continuing customer support than any other audiophile manufacturer that I've ever dealt with.

Good to read. That has been my experience as well. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I wonder if RPG room sizer can simulate the shape of your room's ceiling (likely the most  acoustically problematic part).

I used several softwares to predict room acoustics recently mostly Room EQ Wizard (no Windows required) but all allow only for parallel surfaces.

Curious about this RPG Room Sizer thingie... A google search took me to RPG EU, but can't figure out a way to the software.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

22 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Good to read. That has been my experience as well. 

Shout out to Jesse Lunas also for impeccable customer service. He's dCS' Sales Manager for the Americas.

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Moondog said:

And can someone instruct me how to get this link into Qobuz inside Roon?

Never mind. After clicking on the blue button "Listen on Qobuz" approximately 37 times... it finally opened up inside my Qobuz account on a web browser. Sheesh! I was then able to subscribe and it's now available within Roon.

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

Ditto from me on all the comments regarding John Quick. He’s helped me innumerable times over the years. 

Regarding the Rossini DAC (while I will catch a lot of crap for what I’m about to say at its price), I think the Rossini is one of the best values in high end audio and for sure in dacs. I’m a very fortunate Vivaldi owner (partial stack - no transport), the Rossini v2 is darn close. If you can do the Rossini, you will not be disappointed. Ive heard it many times, and it is a world class dac. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

23 hours ago, MarkS said:

Ditto from me on all the comments regarding John Quick. He’s helped me innumerable times over the years. 

Regarding the Rossini DAC (while I will catch a lot of crap for what I’m about to say at its price), I think the Rossini is one of the best values in high end audio and for sure in dacs. I’m a very fortunate Vivaldi owner (partial stack - no transport), the Rossini v2 is darn close. If you can do the Rossini, you will not be disappointed. Ive heard it many times, and it is a world class dac. 

I have not listened to Vivaldi on my system so I cannot say, but I have Rossini and master clock, and it sounds amazing. The addition of the Vivaldi filters and mapper in v2.0 was just amazing.

More importantly, I have had an amazing experience with dCS in terms of evolution of the platform (via firmware updates, for free!!!). This is in extremely sharp contrast with my horrible customer service experience with my previous DAC (which was not much cheaper at all).

Kudos to dCS for an amazing product, support, and the pleasure I get when I listen to music every day. Flawless.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

On 5/12/2019 at 5:40 PM, miguelito said:

Funny enough, I enjoy listening to my system from afar also. My speakers (Avantgarde Duo Messo) are definitely not usable for near-field. They are positioned firing along the long side of the room and the presentation you get when listening from ~ 27ft away (vs the sweet spot listening position of ~16ft away) is quite different. It is basically like sitting in the back of a club vs first row, quite like that actually, and it’s fun for how much more relaxed it is.

Ditto ditto on listening outside the sweet spot. That's been one of my main decision criteria when buying speakers - how will the system sound to a few people around the room, not just one person sitting in exactly the right place.  While the speakers in my two better systems do have a sweet spot, in both cases what sealed the deal was not how they sounded in that three foot cube of space, but how they sounded if I stood over there. Sat back here. Paced back and forth over yonder. How will they sound in the dining room, which is next to the family room where the speakers live? (Yes, I got a lot of weird looks when I was speaker shopping.)

Only my near field systems have a huge difference between sweet spot and elsewhere in the room.

I've heard some really great speakers (if you're in the sweet spot) that sound like they were moved into the next room if you stood up and to one side. Everything kind of dulls down. Most of the instruments we listen to through our speakers don't have tiny little sweet spots. Why should our speakers?