IGNORED

Use ReplayGain?

audiobomber

Question

I've read about replaygain on the net and I'm not sure whether it is a good thing or not. They say it is not "bit perfect". I would like to hear an explanation of how it affects the bits and whether this is a theoretical compromise or an actual sonic compromise. TIA!

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I found a good Wiki. https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=ReplayGain_2.0_specification

So replaygain adjusts tracks to -14dB based on rms level. If the track has peaks beyond 14dB, then it will limit the peaks. Wouldn't that be the only time it is not bit-perfect?

Bit perfect means each sample has the same exact value it started out with.  So if I increase level or decrease level by even 1 db, the value of all samples changed (the bits have changed).  Now done in software that works at 32 bit or 64 bit float that has zero effect on the sound quality other than level.  Yet it isn't bit perfect. 

I thought I remembered that replay gain could do other things besides level changes.  So yes when they slightly compress or limit peaks to prevent clipping while hitting a target of - 14 db the sound of a file will have been changed as a result.  Which is why audiophiles would never use Replay gain.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

My understanding is that it was intended to reduce or eliminate amplifier clipping in the event of a sudden jump in volume.  It simply adjusts the peak and gain of the track with data stored in meta format with the file - it doesn't actually change the music in any way except with the volume.  You do need software or a player that has Replay Gain enabled.  

I looked into it years ago when I started ripping CDs and discounted it as an option for two reasons.  First, I didn't want the metadata to be changed from what was already there and more importantly I wanted to listen to the music the way it was recorded - for right or wrong.

I live with music libraries where anytime I play a CD after an LP there's a big jump in volume - but I know that and can easily adjust for that.  

On 5/8/2019 at 1:23 AM, esldude said:

The way it works is to analyze the entire track, pick a gain that won't clip, but sounds like an appropriate level of loudness. 

I found a good Wiki. https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=ReplayGain_2.0_specification

So replaygain adjusts tracks to -14dB based on rms level. If the track has peaks beyond 14dB, then it will limit the peaks. Wouldn't that be the only time it is not bit-perfect?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.