Rate this topic

After the positive review by Hans Beekhuyzen I ordered the MiniDSP SHD Studio. https://www.youtube.com/watch…

The SHD Studio is an ethernet streamer with Dirac room correction. Today I experimented with Dirac. With Dirac off there isn't much difference with my other streamer. With Dirac on the booming bass is gone. It's a big difference. Switching Dirac on and of is just a click on the remote. So it's easy to compare.  Bass heavy tracks like Melanie De Biasio Gold Junkies Dirac is a blessing.

Also the mid frequencies sound a bit different. Not the sound sound an sich but with Dirac off the soundscape seems more compressed to the middle and the sides. With Dirac on with f.e. a choir the sound is more evenly spaced. 

I've been looking for a way to add digital EQ or room correction without adding a computer to my set up. I tried the new Auralic software with parametric EQ on the Aries. But not to my liking. The MiniDSP SHD Studio with full room correction does sound promising.

Screen Shot 05-04-19.JPG

Playing with the target curves is quite easy. I don't think the one you're using above is a typical one? Personally I found better SQ all round, tighter bass, crisper sound, more focused soundstage. Very impressed. As you say, the on/off button permits very easy comparison. I found the supplied power supply not good enough. I'd prefer not to have another computer and power supply in but for this, I'm really pretty happy. Kick drum sounds like a kick drum.