IGNORED

MiniDSP SHD Studio

After the positive review by Hans Beekhuyzen I ordered the MiniDSP SHD Studio. https://www.youtube.com/watch…

The SHD Studio is an ethernet streamer with Dirac room correction. Today I experimented with Dirac. With Dirac off there isn't much difference with my other streamer. With Dirac on the booming bass is gone. It's a big difference. Switching Dirac on and of is just a click on the remote. So it's easy to compare.  Bass heavy tracks like Melanie De Biasio Gold Junkies Dirac is a blessing.

Also the mid frequencies sound a bit different. Not the sound sound an sich but with Dirac off the soundscape seems more compressed to the middle and the sides. With Dirac on with f.e. a choir the sound is more evenly spaced. 

I've been looking for a way to add digital EQ or room correction without adding a computer to my set up. I tried the new Auralic software with parametric EQ on the Aries. But not to my liking. The MiniDSP SHD Studio with full room correction does sound promising.

Screen Shot 05-04-19.JPG

Playing with the target curves is quite easy. I don't think the one you're using above is a typical one? Personally I found better SQ all round, tighter bass, crisper sound, more focused soundstage. Very impressed. As you say, the on/off button permits very easy comparison. I found the supplied power supply not good enough. I'd prefer not to have another computer and power supply in but for this, I'm really pretty happy. Kick drum sounds like a kick drum.

• 2 months later...

Returned the SHD Studio.

My first streamer weeks ago was the project stream box S2 ultra.

Nice boost in my setup with
Schiit Yggdrasil/Raganrok to my Ecouton LQL200.
The S2 has problems with WLAN.
Sudden reboots and the last firmware leaves in Audirvana
no more smooth audio playback at all.
Could have returned the S2.
After that I had the Auralic Aries LE with the Auralic linear power supply. The sound is much better than the S2 but Audirvana and the Aries don't work well together because of openhome protocol in Aries...
A track is played, then the audio playback stops...unfortunately.
Sold quickly with a heavy heart..because the sound was really very good.
Last weekend came the minidsp SHD studio...but my expectations were not fulfilled. The SHD sounds very digital, has problems in the de-esser zone. With complex material the SHD tends to distort and sounds muddy. It can't draw a clean stage. Vocals do not sound good at all. Thin and edgy. The Aries plays much better.
Now I will probably look around for a SoTM ultra.
Unfortunately the AES/EBU output is missing.

MacBook Pro/ WS2019/AO /Roon & HAF - AudioPC ; Mutec mc-3+ usb - Yggdrasil - Ragnarok - Ecouton LQL 200 ; IMac/win10&AO Roon Core - ControlPC

Thats nice...in my setup with schiit yggy/ragnarok shd is to edgy and bright without room definition. ..kills all the goods schiit presents...

No my setup is without any bridge and sounds sweet again...

MacBook Pro/ WS2019/AO /Roon & HAF - AudioPC ; Mutec mc-3+ usb - Yggdrasil - Ragnarok - Ecouton LQL 200 ; IMac/win10&AO Roon Core - ControlPC

Is it possible to use this not as a network streamer but only as a Dirac Live processor?
For example, use an opticalRendu for network streaming and then connect its USB output to the input of the SHD Studio in order to get Dirac processing.  And then have the SHD Studio's output feed a DAC.

If anyone has done something like this, could you please describe the change in sound quality?

1 hour ago, palpatine242 said:

Is it possible to use this not as a network streamer but only as a Dirac Live processor?
For example, use an opticalRendu for network streaming and then connect its USB output to the input of the SHD Studio in order to get Dirac processing.  And then have the SHD Studio's output feed a DAC.

If anyone has done something like this, could you please describe the change in sound quality?

from browsing the manual, it looks like you can.  i think you're limited to 96k though.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
On 7/29/2019 at 7:39 PM, palpatine242 said:

Absolutely, I'm using SPDIF out from AlloDigiSig into SHD then SPDIF out into digital actives. It sound excellent, I can hear nothing being removed only additional clarity, focus and improved sound stage.

I am using a quality power supply though. With the supplied PS, it detracts from the sound. With my set up, the PS is critical (unsurprisingly).

Really very impressed.

• 1 year later...