IGNORED

Bob Stuart launches blog to explain MQA

29 minutes ago, firedog said:

But you are lucky that dCS is one of only 2 manufacturers that has implemented MQA so that only MQA files - and not other PCM files - are given the MQA filtering treatment. 

Very quickly off the top of my head, I can think of PSA DirectStream DAC (with their Bridge 2), Mytek Brooklyn and Manhattan DACs (if you disable MQA in the DAC's menu) and Pro-Ject S2 DAC...

10 hours ago, kumakuma said:

You have fallen into the trap of believing that "any publicity is good publicity."

Ask Boeing if that's true.

Sorry I missed the bit where Bob Stuart accidentally killed someone...

In this case I suspect any is good. Let me know when someone gets hurt.

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

And the point of the ad hominem is what

Just this: Because one desultory and repetitive 576 page thread savaging MQA—a technology that isn't quite the existential threat to this hobby that some make it out to be—is not enough, a new one is launched so that the usual suspects can ring in with their contempt for a guy who has contributed in an important way to the perfectionist audio industry for decades. We're told by one such participant, whose own technical competency is entirely unknown, that Stuart has "no credibility at all" and that his (Stuart's) "experience" is meaningless. The sheer arrogance of this stance is actually comical and thus my sarcastic response.

screenshot_489.png.adcb594f3e8db3119b6fbea251264aa7.png

37 minutes ago, mansr said:

The "Nobel disease" is a striking phenomenon, for sure. To add to the list in the Wikipedia article, I was recently reading about  Elizabeth Kübler-Ross of Death and Dying fame who late in life was taken in by spirit-channeling / spirit guide charlatans.

But are the technical premises of Stuart's current work that off the wall? Is it possible to criticize aspects of MQA (as, say, Paul does) without denigrating the man's  previous accomplishments, his motivations, and his honesty? And is it possible for an audio magazine to have anything not-negative to say about MQA without every word from every writer in that magazine being deemed worthless?

I ask as someone who respects your technical chops.

Andrew Quint

24 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

Is it possible to criticize aspects of MQA (as, say, Paul does) without denigrating the man's  previous accomplishments, his motivations, and his honesty?

Without going into the technical stuff (which others are way more qualified to do than I am), the aspects of MQA that the technically-sentient have criticised are foundational to the rest.

If MQA's technical claims unquestionably checked out, then there wouldn't be a hint that BS is trying to con anyone, and there would be no attacks on his motivations or his honesty.

There's a paradox in your thinking though, which is that if BS was proven to be technically incompetent, then one could think that he's just past his prime, and not actively trying to swindle. Him trying to project authority (something that's reinforced by the Meridian fan / old-buddies-from-the-HiFi press crowd) makes things worse, because it makes it more difficult to give him the benefit of the doubt he'd have if he was just a failed businessman - his technical competence is what makes him go from "somewhat slimy" to "full-on mendacious".

24 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

And is it possible for an audio magazine to have anything not-negative to say about MQA without every word from every writer in that magazine being deemed worthless?

Well, if there hadn't been about a gazillion claims about magical stones and the extraordinary directional capabilities of cryogenically treated wires before that, maybe...

1 hour ago, Thuaveta said:

Well, if there hadn't been about a gazillion claims about magical stones and the extraordinary directional capabilities of cryogenically treated wires before that, maybe...

Oh, but that should be obvious to you, there'd probably be less antagonism towards hifi rag writers if there'd been competent technical reporting on the claims (instead of leaving that to the readership), and if you lot had made real amends, instead of doubling down in defense of the culprit once the technical (un)reality of BS's claims were made public...

6 hours ago, firedog said:

But you are lucky that dCS is one of only 2 manufacturers that has implemented MQA so that only MQA files - and not other PCM files - are given the MQA filtering treatment. 

Valid point.  I am grateful that dCS does a great job of providing updates and improvements for its customers.

8 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Very quickly off the top of my head, I can think of PSA DirectStream DAC (with their Bridge 2), Mytek Brooklyn and Manhattan DACs (if you disable MQA in the DAC's menu) and Pro-Ject S2 DAC...

We are actually agreeing. If you play  back MQA with the MQA filters engaged, the Mytek DACs continue using the MQA filters on all PCM once they are engaged - you have to manually switch out of MQA filtering to make them stop. That's what I'm referring to. Exception is DSD which uses entirely different filters from PCM .

Not positive about the Pro-Ject and the  PSA, but I'd be surprised if they are different.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

In the short time I have been here this is perhaps the most arrogant, smug, and delusional post I have seen yet.

Let's examine these big "accomplishments".

-"First" Audiophile CD player-100% totally opinion. It was a partially rebuilt Philips that had no remote, took forever to load, and it, you are not even correct it was not introduced until late 1984 or 1985.

-Surround? Don't know, never cared, never paid attention

-First DSP Loudspeaker-The market soundly rejected this product. End of story.

-MLP-Numerous audio engineers rejected it, refusing to use it for a number of technical reasons. James Guthrie of

Pink Floyd fame is one notable. It died a dead for 2 channel audio soon enough when 24 bit downloads hit the market.

-MQA-LOL!!!!!!

All equalling losses to the tune of FOURTY MILLION shekels. 😂

Excellent points!

The Meridian CD player was a knock-off of the Philips' CD100/CD101 players. Meridian took the shell of Phillip's player and painted it graphite grey. However, the Meridian player's innards were a bit different; the output stages were rebuilt, and the servo and error-correction systems were tinkered with.

First DSP Loudspeaker: Yes, the market soundly rejected this product. There lacked a compelling reason to use DSP.

mQa is dead!