rn701

Bob Stuart launches blog to explain MQA

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Haven't they claimed to use AI to determine what ADC "correction" to apply?

You could interpret it that way.  Then again, your findings suggest they simply used marketing to determine the correction applied.  :)

To paraphrase Rick James, "sighted listening is a helluva drug".

Good!! This site needs a discussion of photography, the Nature of Art, and the Germanic Total Art Movement, and why it never caught on much elsewhere.

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

"We also changed the game by offering only the pure original and highest quality of a recording with secure confirmation at playback – so the listener has the huge benefit of knowing they have the approved original. MQA: Master Quality Authentication."

If only this were true, I'd forgive all the other stuff.

26 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

"We also changed the game by offering only the pure original and highest quality of a recording with secure confirmation at playback – so the listener has the huge benefit of knowing they have the approved original. MQA: Master Quality Authentication."

If only this were true, I'd forgive all the other stuff.

But none of it is true. A total fabrication, ain't it?😅

On 5/4/2019 at 4:35 PM, mansr said:

Haven't they claimed to use AI to determine what ADC "correction" to apply?

Well that was Lee's claim, tough to say whether that makes it even less believable or not.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

34 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

... industry giants ...

like Goliath, no doubt

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

52 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

First DSP-powered loudspeaker (1990)

First digital surround processor (1994)

I know Meridian were right there very early on in these 2, but were they the absolute first to release these 2, for sure?

10 hours ago, Ski Bum said:

My principal gripe with MQA is different than most of the folks who have been posting in the "vaporware" thread and elsewhere about MQA.  I'm really not hot and bothered by the fact that MQA is "lossy," may be disguised DRM and/or is promoted with some hysterical marketing language and unintelligible explanations.  The fact is that I got full MQA compatibility for free with a firmware update from the manufacturer of my digital stack (dCS), and IMO a lot of the MQA Studio-encoded files on Tidal sound as good or better on my system than the same hi rez titles streamed on Qobuz or purchased from a download site.  I may not be thrilled with the way MQA made or marketed the "sausage," but I think it tastes ok.

But you are lucky that dCS is one of only 2 manufacturers that has implemented MQA so that only MQA files - and not other PCM files - are given the MQA filtering treatment. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)