IGNORED

Bob Stuart launches blog to explain MQA

10 hours ago, Ski Bum said:

My principal gripe with MQA is different than most of the folks who have been posting in the "vaporware" thread and elsewhere about MQA.  I'm really not hot and bothered by the fact that MQA is "lossy," may be disguised DRM and/or is promoted with some hysterical marketing language and unintelligible explanations.  The fact is that I got full MQA compatibility for free with a firmware update from the manufacturer of my digital stack (dCS), and IMO a lot of the MQA Studio-encoded files on Tidal sound as good or better on my system than the same hi rez titles streamed on Qobuz or purchased from a download site.  I may not be thrilled with the way MQA made or marketed the "sausage," but I think it tastes ok.

But you are lucky that dCS is one of only 2 manufacturers that has implemented MQA so that only MQA files - and not other PCM files - are given the MQA filtering treatment. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Very quickly off the top of my head, I can think of PSA DirectStream DAC (with their Bridge 2), Mytek Brooklyn and Manhattan DACs (if you disable MQA in the DAC's menu) and Pro-Ject S2 DAC...

We are actually agreeing. If you play  back MQA with the MQA filters engaged, the Mytek DACs continue using the MQA filters on all PCM once they are engaged - you have to manually switch out of MQA filtering to make them stop. That's what I'm referring to. Exception is DSD which uses entirely different filters from PCM .

Not positive about the Pro-Ject and the  PSA, but I'd be surprised if they are different.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

With the DirectStream DAC it's easily verified by any owner by playing Ted Smith's bit perfect test files to the network bridge... 

You can also add EMM Labs DV2 DAC to the list also... non-MQA content is not given MQA treatment...  Ed Meitner wouldn't let that happen..

You can add iFi Pro iDSD to the list also...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-official-new-firmware-mqa-and-more.869144/page-47#post-14593415

So I think we're up to 6 manufacturers already... my only point was it's more than 2 manufacturers...

The two I mentioned included the iPro. It is the only one in the iFi line with that type of MQA setup. 
 But still, we are talking about maybe 6 actual DACs. And I'm still skeptical about the Pro-Ject. The other manufacturers who have implemented it have done so only on high end products, and both dCS and iFi said the process was very time consuming and expensive in terms of SW development hours. (this probably not true for PSA as the bridge is a different situation). I find it hard to believe the same type of resources were invested that little inexpensive DAC from Pro-Ject.