IGNORED

Bob Stuart launches blog to explain MQA

52 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

First DSP-powered loudspeaker (1990)

First digital surround processor (1994)

I know Meridian were right there very early on in these 2, but were they the absolute first to release these 2, for sure?

29 minutes ago, firedog said:

But you are lucky that dCS is one of only 2 manufacturers that has implemented MQA so that only MQA files - and not other PCM files - are given the MQA filtering treatment. 

Very quickly off the top of my head, I can think of PSA DirectStream DAC (with their Bridge 2), Mytek Brooklyn and Manhattan DACs (if you disable MQA in the DAC's menu) and Pro-Ject S2 DAC...

8 hours ago, firedog said:

We are actually agreeing. If you play  back MQA with the MQA filters engaged, the Mytek DACs continue using the MQA filters on all PCM once they are engaged - you have to manually switch out of MQA filtering to make them stop. That's what I'm referring to. Exception is DSD which uses entirely different filters from PCM .

Not positive about the Pro-Ject and the  PSA, but I'd be surprised if they are different.

Noted, just wanted to mention there are more than 2 manufacturers.

You said:But you are lucky that dCS is one of only 2 manufacturers that has implemented MQA so that only MQA files - and not other PCM files - are given the MQA filtering treatment.“

I’m positive about the PSA and Pro-Ject S2 DACs.. and there are probably others that I can’t think of.

1 hour ago, crenca said:

How are you positive?  I don't know about Pro-Ject, but is not PSA's MQA implementation buried in their USB controller  - how would anyone know how it is behaving vis-a-vis MQA filtering?  honest question...

The Pro-Ject is easy - Jussi of HQPlayer has one... I'm sure you know his work in the technical analysis of MQA and he can confirm... but I've already confirmed with him. Non-MQA stuff doesn't get the MQA treatment.

The PS Audio DirectStream is also easy, even just using logic... If there was no way to disable MQA for non-MQA content, there would be no reason for Ted Smith to be affiliated with his DirecStream DAC... he has commented on the PSA forum a long time ago and it was discussed here a long time ago... there was no way he was letting any MQA decoding/rendering code get into his FPGA... as I mentioned it's their network bridge that does the MQA decoding... they sent a unit to Bob to do impulse response measurements and whatever else they do. But Ted wasn't letting any MQA decoding/rendering code onto his FPGA. But Paul and Ted already confirmed non-MQA content is not touched by MQA code...  This was all discussed a long time ago already. There's no breaking news here...

With the DirectStream DAC it's easily verified by any owner by playing Ted Smith's bit perfect test files to the network bridge... 

You can also add EMM Labs DV2 DAC to the list also... non-MQA content is not given MQA treatment...  Ed Meitner wouldn't let that happen..

You can add iFi Pro iDSD to the list also...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-official-new-firmware-mqa-and-more.869144/page-47#post-14593415

So I think we're up to 6 manufacturers already... my only point was it's more than 2 manufacturers...

12 minutes ago, firedog said:

And I'm still skeptical about the Pro-Ject.

Not only does one of the key people involved in the MQA Technical Analysis have this DAC himself (Jussi)... but you can check Stereophile's measurements... and compare with their Brooklyn DAC measurements... it's extremely obvious from the measurements when MQA is affecting non-MQA test files...

54 minutes ago, firedog said:

. I find it hard to believe the same type of resources were invested that little inexpensive DAC from Pro-Ject. 

And don't be fooled by the price tag of this inexpensive DAC either... per JA's measurements, it's measures close to state of the art...

MQA fully aside, there is very competent Engineering in this DAC for very good price... And fortunately, the MQA filter has no effect on non-MQA files with this DAC, per JA's measurements...

680797122_ScreenShot2019-03-16at8_58_50am.png.3d85aa8c2280d1008c1d4315ffdf6254.png

15 minutes ago, jparvio said:

Are You suggesting that this little overachiever is putting a show against the known heavyweights like dcs, totaldac, MSB and alike..? Soundwise that is. If so, I beg to disagree.

Ah, gotta love the internet. 

Not sure what I said that makes you think this... Context is very important. Have a look at what I have quoted above - I was only replying to very specific comments (which I quoted above), like "And I'm still skeptical about the Pro-Ject." and "I find it hard to believe the same type of resources were invested that little inexpensive DAC from Pro-Ject."

Price is not always the best indicator of measured performance. And note I only commented on measured performance... I never commented about sound quality... (subjective performance). JA's measured performance is what is is and he said (his words, not mine...) it measures almost state of the art... that's all I have quoted.

I'm a little more careful than to go down the path you thought I went 😉