IGNORED

Bob Stuart launches blog to explain MQA

10 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Not loose in the wild.  Because of my interest in multichannel, I asked Bob Stuart whether MQA would support it (and also I asked about EQ).  He said that both would be coming in the future.  He also sent me a selection of multichannel MQA files, many of which were familiar to me.  These were the subject of my listening tests.

What DAC supports such files?

9 hours ago, esldude said:

Its not 100% clear, but the Stereophile testing would make you think you do have control of the filtering.  They claim hardware implementation of MQA so I'm not sure that means it is buried in the USB controller, though MQA is only available via USB.

If MQA is only supported over USB, it usually means the decoder is done on an XMOS USB chip.

2 minutes ago, STC said:

I should have kept my mouth shut since I don’t and never will use MQA but as a Mytek user that’s how you play multichannel tracks with Mytek DAC which is MQA enabled or whatever fancy name they are using. 

The question was specifically how multi-channel MQA is coded. If the file is split into 2-channel pairs, do you get three valid MQA files?

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

The original file is a single PCM file just like any other multichannel file.

The file, of course, must be separated into channels for playback, just like any other multichannel file.  Typically, that is done in a multichannel DAC but it can be done separately as, for example, with a miniDSP U-DIO8 which splits it into 3-4 S/PDIF or AES3 outputs.

It can be done in a processor such as with JRiver running on a Mac which recognizes the 3-4 Myteks as individual stereo devices but can combine them into a "virtual" multichannel device.

In other words, MQA is handled just like any PCM file because MQA is embedded into the PCM data and none of these processes see it (until it gets to a suitable DAC).

How to route multi-channel audio to several stereo DACs wasn't the question. I was asking only about how the MQA data is encoded. I'm guessing it's simply done in channel pairs using the same format as stereo MQA, given that it can be decoded on separate DACs. That does mean you need to pair the channels correctly, of course.

1 minute ago, Kal Rubinson said:

MQA data is always buried in each channel of the PCM and, regardless of whether it is stereo or multichannel. 

No, that's not how it works. In stereo files, the MQA data is split between the channels. One channel on its own is useless; it can't even be recognised as MQA.