Jump to content

newbie to Fire Wire question


Recommended Posts



Bought a KRK Ergo (pro audio device: Pre/DAC/DSP Room Correction). The RC is licensed from Lyngdorf, it's basically a poor man's version of a Lyngdorf DPA-1.


My question is this: My music server PC has 6 pin FW ports, and the Ergo does also. I presently have a 6 pin FW cable (male both ends). The Ergo has an extenal PS, so I don't need to power it from the FW cable.


I've read here I might get better sound if connect the Ergo to the PC with 4 pins only (no power).


I see that there are 6pin/4pin male FW cables. But after a web search, I don't see any cable plus adapter that will enable me to connect the 4pin side of such a cable to the 6 pin female port on the PC, so that I'm not supplying power over the cable to the pre/DAC.


What am I missing?


Sorry if the solution is obvious, it isn't to me. First time I've worked with FW and audio.




Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...