Jump to content
The Computer Audiophile

Article: AXPONA 2019 Sights & Sounds Part 1

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

What is that gorgeous "rack" in the Meitner booth? I said rack but it's much, much more...

57 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here is the brand's site - http://www.falkenohr.at/en/

 

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 2.15.22 PM.png

 

59 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here is the brand's site - http://www.falkenohr.at/en/

 

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 2.15.22 PM.png

 

Thanks Chris. I tried "falken°hr" and all I got was zillion refrences to tires. The raised "o" looks like degree sign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That clip of the Elac setup exhibits the classic shortcomings of most audio systems - inability to get the treble right ... the cymbal splashes are miles from being correct, and there is an overall choked, 'thick' quality to the SQ - not the fault of the speakers, but weaknesses in the driving chain.


Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, fas42 said:

That clip of the Elac setup exhibits the classic shortcomings of most audio systems - inability to get the treble right ... the cymbal splashes are miles from being correct, and there is an overall choked, 'thick' quality to the SQ - not the fault of the speakers, but weaknesses in the driving chain.

Here you go again. Judging systems based on YouTube videos. 


Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here you go again. Judging systems based on YouTube videos. 

 

So, the qualities I mentioned are due to

 

A) The microphone and ADC of the recorder?

 

B) YouTube degradation?


Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, fas42 said:

 

So, the qualities I mentioned are due to

 

A) The microphone and ADC of the recorder?

 

B) YouTube degradation?

And where in the room I’m located while making the recording and everything else in that room among other things. 


Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joelha said:

No.

 

C. They're due to you're not having been there.

 

Joel

 

That's why all recordings are such a poor substitute for the real thing - if you are not actually in the room where the microphones are operating when capturing live music making you have no way of knowing what the performance was like ... ^_^.

 

I find it ridiculous that musisicians can listen to a midfi unit, and claim to pick what the quality of playing was like - obviously, they're fooling themselves; only direct exposure to the actual sound waves can allow them to discern what actually occurred, :).


Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 5:06 AM, ted_b said:

Yeah, I sat in that room and had my buddies listen in via my iphone call to them.  They couldn't believe how bad it sounded.    HUH????????

I wasn't even there, but I told a friend anyway, and he agrees with your friends.

I guess we're on to something.

 

@fas42 You can not make informed observations based on Youtube videos. The playback quality is low and the complex chain of electronics prohibits that you are able to distinguish where certain abberations are coming from.

 

It is just not possible, no matter how much you would love it to be otherwise. There is a reason why recording studios and the equipment associated with them are somewhat larger than a phone or tablet.

 

There is also a reason why with concert registrations the microphones are decoupled, and they're not being held by a moving and breathing human being.

You may be happy with listening to a classical recording being made using a phone, but I prefer less after-thoughish approaches.

 

@The Computer AudiophileThe above implicates that I won't be watching any of the clips, can you also provide screenshots? Much more interested in those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YouTube and current recording technology, even low end items, are perfectly adequate for revealing issues with the sound being produced in some location. Would you like me to point to a few videos, where, miracle upon miracle, the stellar quality of the reproduction is indeed obvious?

 

Yes, every aspect of the sound won't be evident - but that's not the point; if a clear lacking is there, and obvious - the job's been done. And, as women are happy to point out, size has very little to do with it ... :).

 

Music lovers are indeed very fortunate that recording technology, no matter how 'crude', does a remarkably good job of capturing what sound existed in a particular space - the real failures are aways, always on the playback side - as evidenced by the spectacular audible results achieved by rigs working at the higher levels.


Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

YouTube and current recording technology, even low end items, are perfectly adequate for revealing issues with the sound being produced in some location. Would you like me to point to a few videos, where, miracle upon miracle, the stellar quality of the reproduction is indeed obvious?

 

Yes, every aspect of the sound won't be evident - but that's not the point; if a clear lacking is there, and obvious - the job's been done. And, as women are happy to point out, size has very little to do with it ... :).

 

Music lovers are indeed very fortunate that recording technology, no matter how 'crude', does a remarkably good job of capturing what sound existed in a particular space - the real failures are aways, always on the playback side - as evidenced by the spectacular audible results achieved by rigs working at the higher levels.

The beauty of it all is that you can believe what you want and if it makes you happy, it can’t be that bad. 


Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also helps having 35 years experience being interested in, and exploring aspects of sound reproduction that most people ignore, and always having one's ideas reinforced or fine tuned by the results ... :D.


Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

It also helps having 35 years experience being interested in, and exploring aspects of sound reproduction that most people ignore, and always having one's ideas reinforced or fine tuned by the results ... :D.

If it makes you happy ...


Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 10:41 PM, fas42 said:

 

That's why all recordings are such a poor substitute for the real thing - if you are not actually in the room where the microphones are operating when capturing live music making you have no way of knowing what the performance was like ... ^_^.

 

 

But yet you can tell what an audio system sounds like from an iPhone recording uploaded to YouTube?


“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone listening to music.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sarcasm, my friend ... :).

 

I can tell an audio system from live music making - meaning, the rig is getting things wrong - it's when you are having trouble picking it from a clip that you know that key elements are 'right'.


Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Sarcasm, my friend ... :).

 

I can tell an audio system from live music making - meaning, the rig is getting things wrong - it's when you are having trouble picking it from a clip that you know that key elements are 'right'.

 

I wasn't being sarcastic.

 

If a recording of live musicians is a "poor substitute for the real thing" then a recording of an audio system, especially one done with an iPhone at an audio show, is also going to be a "poor substitute for the real thing" and the fact that you claim to be able to diagnosis what's wrong or right with that audio system based on a recording done under those conditions is, to me, pure nonsense.


“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone listening to music.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank - I have over 47 years experience being interested in, and exploring aspects of sound that most people cannot even understand, and I have always had my ideas reinforced or fine tuned by the results as well as publications in scientific journals and citations from scientists all over the world.

 

I ALSO have you beat in that not only did I not attend, I did not even listen via iPhone!!

 

You are wrong.  It sounds JUST FINE. 

 

(I will however acknowledge it might sound better with high end electrostatics or ribbon/planar speakers.)


"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

 

I wasn't being sarcastic.

 

If a recording of live musicians is a "poor substitute for the real thing" then a recording of an audio system, especially one done with an iPhone at an audio show, is also going to be a "poor substitute for the real thing" and the fact that you claim to be able to diagnosis what's wrong or right with that audio system based on a recording done under those conditions is, to me, pure nonsense.

 

But I was, in the earlier post of mine you quoted  ...

 

I don't diagnose what's right, I merely listen for the sense of it being 'wrong' - nearly everyone has no trouble identifying whether the sound they can hear coming from source unknown is a hifi, or real musicians - what I have is the awareness of what it is in the qualities of what I'm hearing that are the giveaways as to the identify of the sound making - something that everyone can learn.


Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...