IGNORED

How to save music from DAT Files

Hi TJ,

I've transferred some DAT's to hard drive a number of few years ago. As mansr asked what type of digital connection does it have?  As I remember the Sony DAT recorders had a maximum resolution of 24/48 in digital but could use the analog outputs for 16/44.1.

When I transferred the DAT's I used the digital output from the DAT recorder into an AD/DA interface and then usb from the AD/DA into the computer using Audacity software to convert to wav. If your computer soundcard has digital or analog inputs you wouldn't need a separate interface. The DAT recorder I had did not allow for high speed downloading to the computer so the transfers had to be done in real time. I'd download an entire DAT tape as a wav file and then use the DAW software to create individual tracks.

If you have the right DDS drive I believe you can transfer the DAT file directly from tape to hard drive and then use software to convert from .dat to wav or flac. The DDS drive has to have audio dat firmware on it which most don't.

Regards,

Mario

5 hours ago, marioed said:

Hi TJ,

I've transferred some DAT's to hard drive a number of few years ago. As mansr asked what type of digital connection does it have?  As I remember the Sony DAT recorders had a maximum resolution of 24/48 in digital but could use the analog outputs for 16/44.1.

When I transferred the DAT's I used the digital output from the DAT recorder into an AD/DA interface and then usb from the AD/DA into the computer using Audacity software to convert to wav. If your computer soundcard has digital or analog inputs you wouldn't need a separate interface. The DAT recorder I had did not allow for high speed downloading to the computer so the transfers had to be done in real time. I'd download an entire DAT tape as a wav file and then use the DAW software to create individual tracks.

If you have the right DDS drive I believe you can transfer the DAT file directly from tape to hard drive and then use software to convert from .dat to wav or flac. The DDS drive has to have audio dat firmware on it which most don't.

Regards,

Mario

The Sony is an DTC A6 that my friend gave me Sunday for the project I just don’t know where to begin. 

3 hours ago, TJtennispro said:

Yes the DAT has an S/PDIF which I’ve currently got hooked up to my 2015 MacBook Pro. 

Good. Now you just need to fire up Audacity, select the S/PDIF input, and press record. Once the transfer is done, you'll have to manually split the recording into tracks if you want them as separate files.

Hi TJ,

Have you used Audacity before? Do you need help getting it setup? Like mansr said record the entire tape as one big file, save that and then go back and manually split into tracks if you want to. Unless you're planning to monitor your input sound levels throughout the entire transfer I'd suggest finding a particularly loud section on each tape and set the input levels for that with a little safety margin so you're not red lining the input levels and clipping.

Regards,

Mario

7 minutes ago, marioed said:

Unless you're planning to monitor your input sound levels throughout the entire transfer I'd suggest finding a particularly loud section on each tape and set the input levels for that with a little safety margin so you're not red lining the input levels and clipping.

There's no need for that. This is a pure digital transfer.

1 hour ago, marioed said:

Hi TJ,

Have you used Audacity before? Do you need help getting it setup? Like mansr said record the entire tape as one big file, save that and then go back and manually split into tracks if you want to. Unless you're planning to monitor your input sound levels throughout the entire transfer I'd suggest finding a particularly loud section on each tape and set the input levels for that with a little safety margin so you're not red lining the input levels and clipping.

Regards,

Mario

I’ve never used Audacity before but besides the band I’m the only person who knows what songs are what and can separate the files from one another so I guess that’s how I volunteered. Should I just insert a DAT tape in and record? 

On 4/30/2019 at 1:23 PM, new_media said:

You can also use GarageBand to capture a digital stream and then export to WAV.

I had some problems with dropouts using Audacity, but I have found GarageBand to be rock solid.

Im having major Audacity problems too. I might try GarageBand. 

2 minutes ago, TJtennispro said:

I can hook the DAT deck up to my AV receiver and play straight through my speakers but I’ve got a problem with my audio setup. Anytime I try to record into my Mac it’s recording my cough instead of the music. 

Im not sure why? 

You need to select the right input. The default is probably the built-in microphone.

Hi TJ,

If your still using Audacity, use the Edit drop down menu & select Preferences. In Devices it should show your Host, Playback & Recording Interfaces. In the Recording part there should be a drop down menu to select which device you want to use.

Regards,

Mario