IGNORED

Article: A Class D Exploration and Comparative Review of PS Audio, Wyred 4 Sound, and XTZ

Nice comparison review. Most interesting because there's a core technical base component across all the amps which shows that it's the whole of the implementation that matters. (I get fatigued by people who launch off on "well this DAC has the same ESS chip so it has to be as good as all the other DACs using the same chip.") The differences you describe aren't minor.

Look at Formula 1. Four engine manufacturers across the 20 teams... and look at the huge differences in performance. The fastest and slowest two teams, one each of Ferrari and AMG Mercedes engines. As my mechanic used to say, you can put a BMW M5 engine in a Chevy Caprice, and it's still gonna drive like a Caprice.

I'm curious about how much your results and preferences have to do with the totality of your system components, based on my own experiences. I have two higher end systems (one home, one in my studio) and have tried mixing and matching components, and there are definitely two optimal combinations. My Gradients love my Krell integrated. Not so much my Anthem integrated. Slightly mushy and dull sounding. Same specs. Totally different sound. But... my GoldenEar 1s love the Anthem integrated. The Krell comes off harsh and edgy, but the Anthem is crisp and clean and 3D.

Your review, and my own experiences, got me wondering what speakers each of these manufacturers used in their development. Could their speaker choices have influence over how they develop their amps?