IGNORED

Article: A Class D Exploration and Comparative Review of PS Audio, Wyred 4 Sound, and XTZ

1 hour ago, JoshM said:

I’d also be curious to hear your thoughts on the “Class H” Differential Reference amp from Emotiva if you ever get a chance to audition one...

https://emotiva.com/products/xpa-dr2

Josh,
first of all, mille merci.
Emotiva was on my list, and requested, but their press contact vanished in the digital nirvana around end of December. Sad but true. So I even didn't note them, I guess, they did change their external press officer at years end.

The S300 imho is a great value, and its siblings M700 may be interesting as well, I'd love the compare them to the new 1200AS (ICEedge) boards, when they will be finally available.
Tom

8 minutes ago, ednaz said:

Your review, and my own experiences, got me wondering what speakers each of these manufacturers used in their development. Could their speaker choices have influence over how they develop their amps?

Thank you Ednaz,

as far as I am aware, all manufactures (apart from NAD) displayed in this article could use the speakers of their own production line(s).
But I agree, this would have been an interesting question, too, for the short Q&A.
Tom

20 hours ago, budgetplesures said:

it is unfortunate that only a few people have heard The JOB INT

@budgetpleasure
The JOB INT had been on my list of items I had proposed to Chris, when I sent him my initial email back then when he asked for reviewers ... particularly because Geneva is just 500 miles away from here, and from what I had read about the JOB INT, it has sounded very interesting.
One point which I found at least a bit difficult from reading "With how the INT is configured, you'll never know what the DAC, DSP and output stage bits contribute. You can always only assess the full combo." @ 6moons, and please correct me if I am wrong on this, I have understood that the internal "Goldmund" DSP would be used with the digital AND the analog input from an external DAC or Preamp (as it has only one analogue input)? In other words, there would be always the JOB INT sound signature  (and perhaps Goldmund like)? How would you apply external Room Correction or DSP like that from Miska's HQ Player when using the JOB INT? 
Nonetheless, I am happy to read you like your amp so much , because from all I know about it, it is a value proposition ...
Best, Tom

41 minutes ago, STC said:

Is it normal for these amplifiers to hum? My CrownXLS is set at maximum volume and there is no noise whatsoever

The hum, imho is negligible (for me), and I have heard more unpleasant hum, deriving from an USB mouse connected to the CAPS, in the Class D amps of my subs, which leads me to assume that this technology in fact could be sensitive to external factors. Otoh, if it is well done, the external factors could be as well inaudible. Most important to underline, I have only twice in 5 years pushed my preamp to 12 O'clock for a few songs, and in my memory there had been no audible space left for detecting humming 😉

10 hours ago, googoogjoob said:

A. Greenland is 896,000 sq miles.
     Austraila is 2.97 MILLION sq miles.
B. you went to a considerable length for a class d comparison...yet didnt include n-core from ATI among others!?!

Thank you very much @firedog for explaining point A perfectly.

for B. I may need to excuse @googoogjoob  for the fact, that I was having my focus on ICEpower amplification only (as this already brought the article to "considerable" length) and offered the explanation for my approach just in the final part.

Still, I consider a "comparative" review of one N-Core500 or N-Core1200 implemention very interesting, particularly when the new Purifi amplifier and the Icepower 1200AS  (with ICEedge) will be available, maybe a Pascal module could be interesting as well? 
Do you think the ATI N-Core is more special than other N-Core ? And which of both stereo amplifiers of ATI would suit you most?
Best, Tom

1 hour ago, googoogjoob said:

tom, i have no exposure to any class d. im old (ish) and stuck in my a/b ways. i am a huge fan of ati amps. currently i own a 300x7 & a 200x6. they are delicious. i see ati is continually paring their lineup to transition almost completely to class d. as i am respectful of Morris Kessler and enjoy many of his products i allow for, hmmm....is there something to this class d business? curious as to peoples perspective on the subject...when i saw your article AN EXPLORATION OF CLASS D...i had hoped for info on the n-core. to your questions...i know of no other n-core products. i mentioned ati due to brand affection. as to which of 'both' stereo amps of ati would suit me?.....the signature 6000 (300w)....however, i also lust after the ps audio bhk signature amps. whats that they say about old (a/b) habits?
best wishes. 

Thank you for the clarification.
I have understood, that either ATI or PS AUDIO are the brands  you're affected with. I have no idea if ATI has a trade-up option for changing from Class D to Class AB for its Signature amps, but you may check alternatively with PS Audio what would be your options starting with the M-700 monos (haven't heard them yet, but they have the same analogue cell as the S300 reviewed, which sounds really good - and they are Stereophile Class A listed) and if that does not suit you may be able to trade up to the BHK series.

In the example of PS Audio you may count 3 k USD for a pair of M700, for BHK S 250 7,5 k USD and BHK S 300 15 k USD. This is a significant difference in price, serves different markets and leaves the options to upgrade for the customer. I would guess, that an audiophile who "lusts" for the BHK S series and has that money available, may not stay/stop with the M700s, maybe even not start with them, because there are other forces than rationality included in his decision making ;-). I took PS Audio as example, because I am more familiar with their products due to the research on the article.

The buzz with Class D is, imho, that this technology went from "bang for buck" only to serious quality audio for reasonable money. It is important to note the fact that many "newer" developments in audio, like active speakers with room correction,  or Amplifier with DSP, use Class D amplification due to its tiny and economic footprint. Moreover, there is that improvement in quality we have seen,  which in my understanding  is driven by the high demand from the automotive industry that in turn offers a fair share of research knowledge to audio amplification.

Best, Tom

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
14 minutes ago, Doug A said:

Excellent review. One of the best I've ever read. Appreciate all the work you put into this round up.

A year later the PS Audio S300 is on sale for $1099. Already own a VTL ST150 tube and Pioneer Series 20 M22 class A amp. Considering trying a class D. Do you think a tube/ class A owner would enjoy a S300 on occasion? I wouldn't be replacing the other amps, just augmenting them.

Thanks,

Doug A

Happy you like it, thank you for the flowers, @Doug A

Fellow member @botrytis

may have the experience you're asking for, I think he owns the pioneer M22 and the S300 as well and may have some aural impressions to share?

My take, if the 1k$ doesn't hurt you, try it.

It is a well engineered design. And imho the amp sounds different to other Class D like nCore or PuRiFi or TPA3255 or MA12070 chip amps due to the gain cell.

Best, Tom

• 3 weeks later...