IGNORED

Amazon High Definition Music Streaming Service

36 minutes ago, PAP said:

Not for Sportify. Only for the artist.

And here is another interesting thing happening;

The-economics-of-streaming-is-changing-pop-songs

Artist who chase the dollar will alter their art to whatever makes them the most money. Not blaming them, it’s just a fact. It’s streaming today, in decades past it was a terrible disco album or even making songs for the MTV era. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 8:23 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not everyone deserves to make a living from whatever they wish. Some artist produce content with very little commercial value. Compensation should be commensurate with commercial value. 

I’d prefer to make a living doing what I love, listening to great music on a great system and talking about it. Oh wait, I do. However, if everyone who starts a website is guaranteed a living from it, no matter the commercial value, that would a bit over the top. 

Well said, Chris!

Make Art for the sake of the Art itself.  (Regardless of the medium of the Art)
If you can make a living at it all, the better, but do it because you love it, not to make money.  In the former Soviet Union, there were state saleried artists, but they did not make much great art.  Perhaps excepting the writers, who tended to end up in the gulag.  

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:24 PM, Leroy Bad said:

One draw back with the the Amazon HD is that the Amazon desktop app does not allow you to choose the output device and doesn't support WASAPI or ASIO. So the resolution output is always locked at what ever is set in windows sound properties.

can you download the HD files and play them back from another application, or are they locked to Amazon’s player?

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:20 PM, jdjaye said:

Well said, Chris!

Make Art for the sake of the Art itself.  (Regardless of the medium of the Art)
If you can make a living at it all, the better, but do it because you love it, not to make money.  In the former Soviet Union, there were state saleried artists, but they did not make much great art.  Perhaps excepting the writers, who tended to end up in the gulag.  

Yes  indeed!!! Long live the multinational corporations! 

Check these '''state saleried artists,'' not making great art;

sorry for being sarcastic but do you really believe a starving artist makes the best art?

On 10/7/2019 at 12:13 PM, Jud said:

Pardon the OT: Though serfs were tied to the land and their status was inherited, the only time I've seen the phrase "run with the land" used was in regard to covenants. Do you have an example referring to serfs?

Jud, the only thing I might have would be an old text on property law - worse I have 4 or 5 of them so very hard to search; I expect it is an English common law term, maybe based on Law French from even earlier times

I'm sure I heard or read it tho

partly.

I could also ask for great classical musicians who used to starve and sleep on park benches before being able to make a living playing the music they love.

My point is, I believe great art comes from within and if we support the artists the chances of really great art being made are all the greater.

As shown in the two videos I posted with state supported artist.

29 minutes ago, PAP said:

partly.

I could also ask for great classical musicians who used to starve and sleep on park benches before being able to make a living playing the music they love.

My point is, I believe great art comes from within and if we support the artists the chances of really great art being made are all the greater.

I think you’re mixing a few items.

Everyone here would like to support artists. 

Artists fighting to make it because they literally have nothing, often do great work. That said, successful artists also make some great music. However, state sponsored musicians remind me of a quote from Marvin Hagler, ” It’s tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you’ve been sleeping in silk pajamas”

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Artists fighting to make it because they literally have nothing, often do great work. That said, successful artists also make some great music. However, state sponsored musicians remind me of a quote from Marvin Hagler, ” It’s tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you’ve been sleeping in silk pajamas”

Admittedly it's Chris's website - but can you please take the debate on suffering and art into another thread and keep this thread on topic?

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

We discussed this back in the eighties/nineties when I was photographing bands that had become world famous but were still living on Top Ramen, and we heard about the Dutch gov supporting bands. We all thought that sounded great, but at the same time asked ourselves how many Dutch bands we had actually heard about, or were doing anything remotely exciting or original. Silence was the answer. Sometimes struggle can be a positive (don't ask my ten year old though ;) ). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

15 minutes ago, PAP said:

Ok.

Just one suggestion;

Go and see if the band you like on Amazon, sportify deezer and so on is available on BandCamp, if so buy the download or the CD there.

The artists on BandCamp gets 80%.

Good advice. 

Got this on BandCamp yesterday:

folder.thumb.jpg.428ad819af1d6467b9b9dc782b12e196.jpg

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

On 10/22/2019 at 5:11 AM, PAP said:

partly.

Well, I do recall George Szell's 'players' picketing some decades ago.  I asked one how much they made and how much they wanted, but the answer made me walk away shaking my head.

I dunno where  great art comes from - maybe within or maybe without...