IGNORED

Amazon High Definition Music Streaming Service

On 9/18/2019 at 9:55 AM, charlesphoto said:

I still have plenty of friends who are happy with their old Yamaha or Marantz receivers and buying records by the oodles and playing them on their cheap turntables. A lot of them being musicians themselves. They are the ones who are truly keeping it alive.

Though the numbers of LPs being sold are on a steep upward trend, the proportion of the business they make up is tiny. Something like 77,000 LPs sold in 2018, I believe?

Most musicians make their money these days by playing live, so go see people.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 hours ago, rn701 said:

16.8 million according to Billboard, about 12%.

Wow, don't know how I got so far off. Thanks for the correction.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Not exactly. "The Market" only works as an efficient system when there are no sellers or buyers in a position to influence the market. The music market is clearly not one without market influence by some of the participants. A truly efficient market would probably reward recording artists and sonwriters with better pay relative to other participants.

It doesn't matter how you distribute the money. The $10 per month people are willing to pay is simply not enough for all the artists to make a living, even if a handful are getting rich in the current scheme.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

It doesn't matter how you distribute the money. The $10 per month people are willing to pay is simply not enough for all the artists to make a living, even if a handful are getting rich in the current scheme.

Not everyone deserves to make a living from whatever they wish. Some artist produce content with very little commercial value. Compensation should be commensurate with commercial value. 

I’d prefer to make a living doing what I love, listening to great music on a great system and talking about it. Oh wait, I do. However, if everyone who starts a website is guaranteed a living from it, no matter the commercial value, that would a bit over the top. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 9/20/2019 at 8:37 AM, rn701 said:

16.8 million according to Billboard, about 12%.

Of which approximately 16 million were purchased by Millennials playing them on $200.00 or less record players in a box because they simply think it's cool. This means Jud's original quote was pretty accurate! :)

JC

4 minutes ago, PAP said:

The main part of the money from streaming goes to the publishers not the artist.

Sure it goes to the rights holders and that's not the artist in the cases where artists have signed away their rights. Artists like Macklemore who never signed a bad record deal are making out pretty well in the streaming days. rather than a single payment from a purchase, he gets paid every time someone listens. it's a great incentive to create good music and to keep the rights to your recordings. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have read somewhere that In order for a smaller artist to get on one the streaming sites he or she has to make a publishing deal with one of the big publishers.

Sportify and Tidal does not deal with individual independent artists. ( I'll try to find the article and put the link).

46 minutes ago, PAP said:

I have read somewhere that In order for a smaller artist to get on one the streaming sites he or she has to make a publishing deal with one of the big publishers.

Sportify and Tidal does not deal with individual independent artists. ( I'll try to find the article and put the link).

Not true, I know plenty of young London jazz acts who are on all the services without being signed to a publisher. Own label often too.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:17 PM, Ralf11 said:

forcing serfs to "run with the land"

Pardon the OT: Though serfs were tied to the land and their status was inherited, the only time I've seen the phrase "run with the land" used was in regard to covenants. Do you have an example referring to serfs?