IGNORED

Amazon High Definition Music Streaming Service

On 4/25/2019 at 10:12 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

This could be interesting.

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/amazon-is-readying-a-hi-def-music-streaming-service/

Note: "It’s understood that Amazon has not partnered with MQA for its own HD tier."

Interesting is one word for it. If this is seriously going to adhere to standards (huge question), can you see the smaller competitors surviving? Perhaps in Europe, perhaps not. And perhaps it won’t be standards compliant, in which case we’re in real trouble.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

46 minutes ago, PAR said:

Unfortunately as far as I can see you are wrong on this. In the USA the new Music Modernization Act provides a compulsory licence i.e. no refusal, no negotiation.

That interpretation would seem to eliminate the need for services to sign agreements with labels, so I'm not sure it's correct.

I think the compulsory licensing may set the compensation for reproduction in formats a label makes available, but not necessarily require availability in all formats.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

22 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Musicians need to stop signing away their rights to make more money. It’s the same as it ever was, but now with streaming. 

Think about relative economic power and access to the market. They sign or no one hears them. Someone as hugely popular and talented as Prince saw his sales go down the tubes when he left his label, so how well will an anonymous newcomer do?

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m with you 100%. But, the choice is there.  Macklemore & Ryan Lewis did it with great success. 

Interesting: "Macklemore, in a slightly unusual recording contract, pays a nominal percentage of sales to use Warner Bros. Records's radio promotion department to push his singles."

5 hours ago, PAR said:

This ranges from artists  no longer requiring professional studios by being able to create their recordings in a converted spare bedroom to undertaking their own publicity /marketing routes via the interweb.

Would you give some examples of musicians making good livings in this way?

5 hours ago, wgscott said:

Well, they do manage to put an awful lot of crap in their catalogue, like Pear Jam for Babies.

spacer.png

You know @The Computer Audiophile probably raised his daughter on this album, right?

😉

On 9/18/2019 at 9:55 AM, charlesphoto said:

I still have plenty of friends who are happy with their old Yamaha or Marantz receivers and buying records by the oodles and playing them on their cheap turntables. A lot of them being musicians themselves. They are the ones who are truly keeping it alive.

Though the numbers of LPs being sold are on a steep upward trend, the proportion of the business they make up is tiny. Something like 77,000 LPs sold in 2018, I believe?

Most musicians make their money these days by playing live, so go see people.

4 hours ago, rn701 said:

16.8 million according to Billboard, about 12%.

Wow, don't know how I got so far off. Thanks for the correction.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 1:17 PM, Ralf11 said:

forcing serfs to "run with the land"

Pardon the OT: Though serfs were tied to the land and their status was inherited, the only time I've seen the phrase "run with the land" used was in regard to covenants. Do you have an example referring to serfs?