IGNORED

Amazon High Definition Music Streaming Service

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, PAR said:

Does that mean that it is just upsampling?

Even though it takes control it doesn't seem to switch so just follows what Audio Midi is set at. So yes. This could just be my Mojo issues. Needs a play with a variety of interfaces.

Until it gets fixed and tracks what it is supposed to do I would manage this by setting the Audio Midi to what it should be.

Another bug is that the Ultra HD playback icon (the resolution detail) can disappear once you start fiddling. to bring it back you reload your music and restart the app.

I wish I'd brought my CCK so I could try it with the phone!

9 minutes ago, PAR said:

Looks like it has a 90 day free trial period. Rather generous.

So far I can't find anything about it on Amazon.co.uk . So is it USA launch only or even just USA only?

Anyway it is called Amazon HD and HD  according to their own information means 16/44.1.  However they seem to also be saying that they are offering Ultra HD which is up to 24/192. That is interested considering some of the rumours that had it limited to 24/48 at one point.

If it ever turns up over this side of the pond I will certainly try it. 

Given the pricing I would suspect a blow to Tidal and Qobuz. And the fact they are doing it without MQA I would guess as an even more serious blow to Mr.Stuart.

I'm on UK. You just need to google amazon unlimited HD. It's only 90 if you haven't tried them before else it's 30.

13 minutes ago, PAR said:

Thanks Patrick. Between  my last post and your response I found it and signed on. However as it only appears to offer pop music from the home page  I will cancel shortly. As you are using it right now and have , oh, minutes more experience then me with it do you agree that it is pop only - no jazz, no classical?

For me to listen to it properly BTW means getting my music PC out of "storage"  and rigging it up my USB connection.

Listening to latest Branford right now

46 minutes ago, PAR said:

Thanks Patrick. That is, of course, doubly confusing. Imagine that you are in 1983 and all CD players carry the well known CD logo but none of the discs do! Then things would have become doubly confusing were SACD in a similar situation given two silver disc formats that look the same but have different specifications.

BTW some vendors certainly use the Hi-Res logo associated with their downloads e.g. Presto Classical.

Mind you if I had a pound for every person who asks what SACD is when I mention it then I would have several pounds 😊

Importantly Amazon are not even using the phrase Hi-Res.

Oh I know they do. Including Qobuz...

Just don't get Mark Waldrep on the subject...

This about says it all...

Sponsor: Chord Electronics

vkvedam said: 
I second that! @Matt Bartlett
Well as I only found out about this new Amazon music service yesterday we will have to take a look and see what information we can get to see whether there is
an option for third party apps. Unfortunately at the moment Amazon don't seem to have a developers program like Tidal and Qobuz have.
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, PAP said:

I have read somewhere that In order for a smaller artist to get on one the streaming sites he or she has to make a publishing deal with one of the big publishers.

Sportify and Tidal does not deal with individual independent artists. ( I'll try to find the article and put the link).

Not true, I know plenty of young London jazz acts who are on all the services without being signed to a publisher. Own label often too.