IGNORED

DIGIONE SIGNATURE - Playing Tidal

11 hours ago, rn701 said:

Tidal subscription is $20/mo. here in the US. Where is it $500?

What is your DAC connected to? If it's a desktop computer of some sort, can't you use the Tidal desktop app? 

I suppose you could use the Digione Signature Player's Raspberry Pi as a desktop computer.

No chance of running the TIDAL Desktop app on it though (both the Windows and the Mac version, just in case you required that clarifying). 😄

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

16 hours ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

My only source of music is TIDAL. So I want to ask how I can stream TIDAL to my DAC with the DIGIONE SIGNATURE PI.

I am not ready to drop 500$ for a Roon subscription so what other software options do I have?

Today I am using the HEOS app streaming TIDAL to my Marantz AV8805

What streamer/endpoint, apart from the Roon Bridge, do you intend using on the Allo Digione Signature Player, as that would determine what software you can use to get it to play from TIDAL?

If you are uncertain, what OS you are using on the Digione Signature Player, as that determines what streamer/endpoint is already available or can be installed?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Cambridge Audio, Bluesound and Marantz/Denon all have apps where I can stream Tidal. So is there a similar app for the RPi?

I want a pure streamer without a DAC. Many dedicated streamers are crazy expensive. The Allo Digione Signature are also expensive considering that it's an extension board for the RPi. But the reviewers love it.

So should I just buy Roon and get on with my life 🙂 or are there some free alternatives

Tidal does not have any kind of audio redirection (example is Spotify Connect) so you need to find a way to redirect audio at the host level. There are a number of ways to do this that are supported by the Pi (Airplay and Android Cast are two). You can also set-up a UPnP server.. looks like this is a good article: https://www.hifizine.com/2016/06/how-to-stream-tidal-to-the-raspberry-pi/

The problem is every device you want to run Tidal on _may_ require a different way to redirect audio to the Pi. 

Roon really is your answer here as others have already pointed out. It may also be the only way to guarantee a bit-perfect way of getting the audio to your Pi from _all_ your devices. Roon does have a trial period and it is well worth doing some research and preparing for how you'd trial the software. Then spend some time with it. You may, like a lot of people, find the cost well worth it. Happy listening. 

On 4/25/2019 at 6:15 AM, Cebolla said:

I suppose you could use the Digione Signature Player's Raspberry Pi as a desktop computer.

No chance of running the TIDAL Desktop app on it though (both the Windows and the Mac version, just in case you required that clarifying). 😄

Sorry, Digione Pi did not register.

I have the Digione Signature with Dietpi OS. I have previously used the Bubble Upnp Android app to stream Tidal to my DAC via the Digione. I’ve recently moved to an IPad and now use the mconnectHD app for streaming Tidal via the Digione.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the DigiOne Player. I had it pre-installed with Volumio, and I am playing Tidal Hi Res through the Volumio interface. I signed up for Volumio and their $2.99/month pay service to get Tidal implementation. I control everything with my iPad /Volumio app. Works well and sounds fantastic!

Still testing it out. Good news is the app is very responsive and playback is flawless, and a noticable sound quality improvement coming from Chromecast Audio. Not currently able to control volume with the ipad or software though, despite selecting software control. App is stable and responsive, can also use a web browser interface. This works fine for me now, though I'm sure I will explore other options for controlling Tidal to my DigiOne.

Hi DKINRIC

Does the Volumio pay service software decode TIDAL's hi-res MQA tracks to the MQA Core/aka 'first unfold' at either 24/88.2kHz or 24/96kHz or does it leave the hi-res tracks with the contained MQA signal undecoded, so exactly as received from TIDAL's online server at either 24/44.1kHz or 24/48kHz and therefore you need to attach a full MQA decoding DAC to DigiOne for MQA decoding?

-- Jo Cox

Good question. I don't know. We know the first unfold is performed by the Tidal front end (web browser or app), I would think that is how Volumio passes it on, downstream from that, but I am not sure. Otherwise, that means they have a alternate line into Tidal's database outside of Tidal's customer products, which seems unlikely given how small Volumio is. But I'm just speculating. I looked through some of their documentation and it is not addressed.

The TIDAL user interface doesn't need to handle the audio file tracks in order to display TIDAL's music catalogue and that does not mean the Volumio player has to use an "alternative line into TIDAL's database". Volumio can just use the official TIDAL partners provided API (Application Programming Interface) connection and stream the file tracks directly from TIDAL's online server in the normal way for network audio file players - the user interface doesn't get involved in handling the track file data, so definitely no 'first unfold' occurring there!

I've just had a look at some recent posts on the official myvolumio paid service forum and it looks like Volumio just passes the hi-res TIDAL MQA masters tracks through, so without any MQA decoding (aka 'unfolding') with the tracks remaining at their original resolution as received directly from TIDAL's online server, ie, at either 24 bit/44.1kHz or 24 bit/48kHz - so leaving the DAC to do all the MQA 'unfolding'. For example:

https://forum.volumio.org/#p61831

https://forum.volumio.org/#p61858

Can you confirm if the myvolumio display is indeed showing a resolution of either 24 bit/44.1kHz or 24 bit/48kHz and nothing higher when playing TIDAL MQA masters tracks?

-- Jo Cox

If you have an Android phone or tablet you can use the BubbleUPnP app to send your Tidal stream to a UPnP device. If your DAC isn't already a streamer you could run JRiver on a Pi (or a NUC) to make it visible to Bubble. JRiver isn't free, but there's a 30 day trial and after that it would be a one-time purchase, rather than a subscription like Roon.

18 hours ago, DKINRIC said:

I just installed the DigiOne Player. I had it pre-installed with Volumio, and I am playing Tidal Hi Res through the Volumio interface. I signed up for Volumio and their $2.99/month pay service to get Tidal implementation. I control everything with my iPad /Volumio app. Works well and sounds fantastic!

Still testing it out. Good news is the app is very responsive and playback is flawless, and a noticable sound quality improvement coming from Chromecast Audio. Not currently able to control volume with the ipad or software though, despite selecting software control. App is stable and responsive, can also use a web browser interface. This works fine for me now, though I'm sure I will explore other options for controlling Tidal to my DigiOne.

Yes I'm doing the same and controlling through the Volumio interface on my iPad to play Tidal through my DigiOne Signature. I use the Lumin app however to control my NAS stored music via MinimServer and I would love to control Tidal from the Lumin app if possible. I find the Volumio interface clunky in comparison.

Sorry for coming across as naive but what do I install where to get the Tidal icon on the Lumin app?

15 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Can you confirm if the myvolumio display is indeed showing a resolution of either 24 bit/44.1kHz or 24 bit/48kHz and nothing higher when playing TIDAL MQA masters tracks?

It does indeed show 24/44.1 on the Master tracks I played.

Thanks DKINRIC.

OK, that confirms that MyVolumio does give you access to TIDAL's MQA file tracks, but doesn't unfold them - so you require to add a full MQA decoding DAC for any MQA unfolding.

BTW, from your first post it looks like you are saying that TIDAL's hi-res MQA tracks sound fantastic with MyVolumio on the Digione Player, even though nothing is doing any MQA unfolding, ie, not even the first unfold!

-- Jo Cox

2 hours ago, wanta911 said:

Yes I'm doing the same and controlling through the Volumio interface on my iPad to play Tidal through my DigiOne Signature. I use the Lumin app however to control my NAS stored music via MinimServer and I would love to control Tidal from the Lumin app if possible. I find the Volumio interface clunky in comparison.

Sorry for coming across as naive but what do I install where to get the Tidal icon on the Lumin app?

???

wanta911, are you saying that you too are using Volumio's MyVolumio pay service and not the free version?

I thought the whole point of the pay service the provided user interface, for those that don't want the hassle of sorting out services such as Qobuz & TIDAL for themselves!

-- Jo Cox

18 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

???

wanta911, are you saying that you too are using Volumio's MyVolumio pay service and not the free version?

I thought the whole point of the pay service the provided user interface, for those that don't want the hassle of sorting out services such as Qobuz & TIDAL for themselves!

Yes I am using the paid MyVolumio service to access Tidal but I am not a fan of the UI, especially after using the Auralic Lightning UI in the past with my Aries, which was much better. That is why I use the Lumin app rather than the Volumio UI for my local content. Ideally I would like to use the Lumin app for both local playback and Tidal streaming, without having to switch.

1 hour ago, wanta911 said:

Yes I am using the paid MyVolumio service to access Tidal but I am not a fan of the UI, especially after using the Auralic Lightning UI in the past with my Aries, which was much better. That is why I use the Lumin app rather than the Volumio UI for my local content. Ideally I would like to use the Lumin app for both local playback and Tidal streaming, without having to switch.

MyVolumio uses its own method of accessing TIDAL & Qobuz, not the native OpenHome method which TIDAL & Qobuz supporting OpenHome controllers like the Lumin app require - so its very unlikely that there's a simple MyVolumio user interface setting provided to change that.

Even if you could, there's also reason why you shouldn't enable the native OpenHome method for accessing TIDAL & Qobuz in Volumio, anyway, specifically when using the Lumin controller app. Volumio uses upmdcli to provide it with its UPnP and OpenHome renderer and the Lumin app does not currently allow the user to see Volumio for player selection, if its upmpdcli provided OpenHome renderer has the native OpenHome method for accessing TIDAL & Qobuz enabled.

Background

Volumio's UPnP and OpenHome renderer is provided by upmpdcli:

Volumio User Manual - Stream audio to Volumio (see UPnP - DLNA section)

upmpdcli's lumincompat setting disables the OpenHome Credentials service (for native OpenHome TIDAL & Qobuz support) so that the Lumin app can be used:

Upmdpcli and Control Ponts (see the Lumin references under both iOS & Android)

Upmpdcli User Manual - Media Renderer parameters (see lumincompat section)

Have you tried using a standard UPnP/DLNA controller app with TIDAL support, so access Volumio's UPnP renderer instead of the OpenHome renderer?

All the support for accessing TIDAL is in the UPnP/DLNA controller app, as opposed to being shared with the renderer when using OpenHome. For example, the mconnect Player app (free Lite version available).

-- Jo Cox