IGNORED

Sonos Amp anyone?

@kirkmc  i've had sonos stuff for many years, but don't consider it something for a discerning listener.  in considering the cost of the amp, i think you have to look at the incremental cost over a connect (which you'll need if you don't already have one).

if you don't have sonos already and want better sound, i'd look at bluesound.  it's more of an audiophile component (can handle 24/192) -- a node 2i is the equivalent of a sonos connect; a powernode 2i is the equivalent of a sonos amp.  bluesound costs more, but will sound better.

one way or the other, i'd use a separate amp.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I'd never heard of BlueSound. It does have the key feature I want, which is AirPlay 2. However, the PowerNode 2i is £799; the Sonos Amp is £599. That's a huge difference. (I don't particularly care about the "audiophile" element, especially not high-res music.) And the Node 2i is not an amplifier; it's just a streaming device. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

@kirkmc -- yes, the node 2i is like the sonos connect -- does not have an amp.

sonos wins on the ui in their software and they stream just about everything.  bluesound wins on sound, but you pay a price.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100