IGNORED

Article: LessLoss Echo’s End Reference DAC Full Review

On 4/26/2019 at 10:04 PM, Nsummy said:

Not a chance.  And if it did influence it, it would be in a negative way.  Think about all of the high precision laboratory equipment, medical devices, quantum computers, space shuttle electronics, etc. that are not encapsulated in a wooden box.   Its fine if someone wants to make a product like this and jack up the price;  I get it, there is a level of craftsmanship here.  But to say the wooden box is there because of performance reasons is absurd.

Panzerholz (Tankwood) is used as the base of the core chassis of F1 cars. Here's a picture of one turned over:

Martin_Brundle_1451284c.jpg.80f7bc6b25282cbcdda1d1f2abdf93e0.jpg

We did not choose this material for eye candy. We chose it for its performance. 

We carried out a calibrated studio comparison of Panzerholz and aluminum and published the results here:

https://www.lessloss.com/page.html?id=80

On that page you can find audio examples which you can download yourself and run your own comparison. The difference is enormous. 

Any current running through any conductor will create some amount of molecular movement. Current is defined as the flow of charged particles. If it did not have any friction it would also not generate any vibration. We are talking not only about miniscule amounts; surely everybody has heard a transformer buzz with their ears directly. Just how that buzz is dealt with through the design of the enclosure will also influence the final results of the audio performance.

Here is another set of comparisons, with audio and video examples:

https://www.lessloss.com/video_demonstration_of_high_performance_audio.html

If the build of an enclosure had no effect whatsoever on the resulting sound, nobody would be found tweaking these things. 

Returning to the F1 application, you can find more Panzerholz inside the cars surrounding the car's timing electronics. Here is a sliced open F1 car. At around 3:30 you can clearly see the Panzerholz encapsulated onboard electronics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WVtZHYjds

When I built a DAC I used a wood chassis to avoid internal reflections. Made no measurements of different chassis materials of course. But I'll be interested to see/hear what Louis has posted upthread about different chassis materials.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

uses in turntables, F1 cars, and ski edges are not relevant

the question is - what does it do for a DAC??

looks are fine; but the manf. should come up with some measurements, listening tests, or a least a coherent design reason - their web site is not convincing

yes, it is pretty - not 20k pretty tho

is it prettier than Lignostone?  or Bubinga?  or Myrtle wood?

I am also partial to the color scheme of Accuphase gear, but got stuck with the crummy Audio Research Corp. light green only ghetto-look...

36 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

looks are fine; but the manf. should come up with some measurements, listening tests, or a least a coherent design reason - their web site is not convincing

Ralf,

could you please elaborate you critics of the provided links by the manufacturer (post #151).
I'd like to understand, why this is not convincing (enough) for you and what would be a common ground or a suitable information you would accept in a more positive manner? 
I am aware that "pseudo science" is often used for marketing purposes, therefore I'd find a clear formulated critic important, assuming that you are not convinced from the manufactures website. And it's something to learn for the readers, including me.
Cheers from France, Tom

58 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

uses in turntables, F1 cars, and ski edges are not relevant

the question is - what does it do for a DAC??

l

I was referring to its' anti-vibration properties. Some manufacturers go to great length to treat vibration using special footers, enclosures carved from solid aluminum blocks..... They claim that it affects the performance. You may obviously disagree.

4 hours ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

Wood is actually a pretty good dielectric, it won't compress during assembly and contains a good % of air.  It's a pretty fast dielectric like cotton, so the key is thickness for efficacy.  A log cabin home would probably work great keeping out RF compared to gypsum/frame construction.

You seem to be confusing dielectric properties with electromagnetic shielding.  They are completely different things! 9_9

Unless you laminate some metal foil in between the plys, wood is not going to act as much of a shied.

9 minutes ago, Madra said:

I was referring to its' anti-vibration properties. Some manufacturers go to great length to treat vibration using special footers, enclosures carved from solid aluminum blocks..... They claim that it affects the performance. You may obviously disagree.

Vibration properties matter for speakers, turntables, and anything with tubes in it. This DAC fall in neither of those categories.