IGNORED

Article: LessLoss Echo’s End Reference DAC Full Review

16 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm not sure how this DAC escaped me, but I'm glad to read about it here. The craftsmanship looks amazing. 

it's positively first rate and at that, so markedly different from anything else on the market. A genuine gem if it were!

23 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

yes, the grooved wood is ... uh ... groovey lookin'

but does not provide any RF shielding

That's okay, I live inside a giant faraday cage, and every single piece of electronics I own is also inside its own faraday cage...  

My walls are made of Shakti Stones with special glue that reduces vibrations.

No electron left behind.

Somehow, Less Loss makes me think of Less Nessman. 

From the Less Loss Echo's End page:

We always know that sonic performance has primarily to do with Jitter reduction, and that Jitter is always going to be contended, since it is impossible to measure with authority. We work by ear where the lab equipment can’t follow. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

13 minutes ago, esldude said:

Somehow, Less Loss makes me think of Less Nessman. 

We always know that sonic performance has primarily to do with Jitter reduction, and that Jitter is always going to be contended, since it is impossible to measure with authority. We work by ear where the lab equipment can’t follow. 

Oh the Humanity...

No electron left behind.

38 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Just FYI—as it is not mentioned in the review:

The LessLoss DACs are based on this Soekris ladder DAC DIY module:

http://www.soekris.dk/dam1021.html

Wow! What's a pretty face (box) worth?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

20 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

The DIY part linked above lists that it is capable of 24/384 and Native DSD. The LessLoss Website says the DAC is capable of 24/192 and DSD.

Must have either been their choice to limit it or they are using an early version of the Soekris firmware.  But they are the same board.  The pictures don't lie.

As good an example as any of the importance of the 'auxiliary engineering'. Same board, pulled out of that box, and attached to the usual "other bits" and inside a conventional case will highly likely sound nowhere near as good - I note people are still hung up on the core bits "being everything", and "measurements tell the full story".

Having worked from the other direction, that is, using very ordinary circuits from cheap audio gear, and improving the enviroment they work in - to excellent effect - I have no doubt that it delivers the goods.

People have great difficulty appreciating that low cost electronics get all the key aspects of high SQ right - which is then wrecked by cheap and nasty implementation in the final package. Meaning, the high cost is justified, because of the knowledge component in the construction of the full product; Swiss gear uses a similar philosophy, to great effect.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Must have either been their choice to limit it or they are using an early version of the Soekris firmware.  But they are the same board.  The pictures don't lie.

That’s a great question and I don’t know the answer to it, nor do I frankly care. The DAC is fabulous and LL Implantation of the final product is terrific.

2 hours ago, esldude said:

Wow! What's a pretty face (box) worth?

Well let’s see. Go find a supplier of genuine Panzerholz, have them give you a quote for a case the size of this DAC. Once you have that number, add another zero to it, because by the time you actually have the chassis you want, you’ll probably go through 20 revisions. Then, once you took out a second mortgage on your home, carefully source all the other parts, because this isn’t a review of the Soekris DAC modules. Once you have all those parts, the pretty box and DAC modules, find an engineer who will put it all together for you. Finally, when you’re done, shoot me an email and send one for review and let’s see what you put together.

Is that fair enough?

PS: of course, you don’t have to go for the Reference edition either; I bet the Original Echo’s End for $5342 sounds great too... 

😎