IGNORED

Sonic Transporter i5 vs PC for ROON core

Hi guys,

Will there be a SQ increment if using the ST i5 compared to a laptop as ROON Core? I am intending to purchase one if it does. I am perfectly fine with my Laptop which is using a i7-7500U 7th Gen intel chip. My laptop is Lenovo ideapad 520S-141KB. Any inputs is much appreciated.

My setup is as follows:

Router>soTm Trifecta>Gustard U16>Terminator>Simaudio HAD430>Abyss Phi CC. All cables are Tellurium Black/Blue MkII and Silver Diamond USB.

/Sablon USB. 

Thank you so much for your time.

10 minutes ago, Abyss Man said:

End point? Isn't my soTm-200ultra a end point? Please advise sir. Thank you.

It is. Didn’t notice. A very good one I think. 

But a NUC with ROCK may be as good as the SonicTransporter. The SonicTransporter gives you more options if needed. As an example you can add HQPlayer embedded quite reasonable like a $220 extra I think it is.

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

If you’re going for a SonicTransporter, I would suggest you wait until the upgraded version with fiber interface is available. I have no idea when that will happen. Nor if the extra cost is worth the money. 

Ok sir, thank you. I will wait as you suggested as I am very happy with my current setup and I don't really have much to complain. The reason I want to get the ST is purely out of curiosity to see if it really does improve the SQ.

I spent ages agonizing over the same question, before getting at STi5 about 6 months ago, to replace my MB Pro for my.Roon core.  Initially I located the STi5 next to my audio equipment. The SQ didn't really seem much different to the MBP.  Then, after a few weeks, I moved the core to another room.  Big improvement - really worthwhile.  I use a microrendu 1.4 as my end-point

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

On 4/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, R1200CL said:

If you’re going for a SonicTransporter, I would suggest you wait until the upgraded version with fiber interface is available. I have no idea when that will happen. Nor if the extra cost is worth the money. 

Hi Sir,

Are there other makers who make the same thing? I was looking at Innous, Melco Antipodes etc, but am confused. I just want a good quality unit that will replace my PC, something in the mould of the STi5. Really appreciate your inputs and time sir. Have a good weekend.

3 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi Sir,

Are there other makers who make the same thing? I was looking at Innous, Melco Antipodes etc, but am confused. I just want a good quality unit that will replace my PC, something in the mould of the STi5. Really appreciate your inputs and time sir. Have a good weekend.

I was in the same position as you and for months I read and read and visited a few forums to pick up bits of information.

As I am a big roon fan I ended up going for a Nucleus. Only problem is the 8 week delivery time to my dealer. 

‘I was close to getting the zenith , but I don’t really need a CD ripper , so opted for a nucleus . With my set up though the nucleus will have to sit on my Hi-Fi rack 

On 4/22/2019 at 2:57 PM, Abyss Man said:

Ok sir, thank you. I will wait as you suggested as I am very happy with my current setup and I don't really have much to complain. The reason I want to get the ST is purely out of curiosity to see if it really does improve the SQ.

Why not do a test with a used fanless NUC. Install ROCK. 

That should point you in the direction if your system would sound even better with a SonicTransporter. 

Also I would expect using a NUC is much more convenient than the laptop, and a very cheap investment, as you’re most likely to get the money you paid for it back. 

I don’t know if you’re using HQPlayer or plan to do so, but with the SonicTransporter you can integrate the HQPlayer embedded. 

On 4/28/2019 at 3:30 PM, Womaz said:

I was in the same position as you and for months I read and read and visited a few forums to pick up bits of information.

As I am a big roon fan I ended up going for a Nucleus. Only problem is the 8 week delivery time to my dealer. 

‘I was close to getting the zenith , but I don’t really need a CD ripper , so opted for a nucleus . With my set up though the nucleus will have to sit on my Hi-Fi rack 

Hi Womaz,

How do you find the Nucleus compared to the PC? I am almost certain that I will be getting the STi5.

17 minutes ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi Womaz,

How do you find the Nucleus compared to the PC? I am almost certain that I will be getting the STi5.

I am still waiting for delivery. I am not expecting a great deal of difference in sound quality. Also I am not one for sitting and analysing. I got the Nucleus for the convenience and to eventually get my lap top out of the music chain