IGNORED

Client/Server sound question

Denver

Question

Hi everyone!  My first post!

I've recently had to use headphones instead of my normal home theater system (wife and child are early to bed!) and I've been working to replicate the surround set up (and overall preference to speakers) through headphones.  Sure, I'd love to plunk down 4k on a 'smyth realiser' for a hardware solution, but the cost is prohibitive.  I've been trying out different software solutions, and my favorite so far is a virtual sound card software 'Out of Your Head.'   The software runs the sound from the PC through a virtual sound card that applies EQ that simulates a surround system.  

I'm satisfied enough with the results for now, but the OOYH effect only works on media played directly by the PC.  When using the PC as a server and running a client such as Plex  in my living room, the media is played from the Plex client and not the server, and the effect is bypassed.  Thus, if I want to play music or watch media ON the pc directly, I'm fine, but in the living room server (over wired network, but I can also use wireless) it doesnt work.  

Besides a long, long cable, is there a way around this?  The goal is to have the software work when played on the client side from media on the server side.  I'm certainly open to ideas and appreciate any help provided!

1 answer to this question

16 hours ago, Denver said:

Hi everyone!  My first post!

I've recently had to use headphones instead of my normal home theater system (wife and child are early to bed!) and I've been working to replicate the surround set up (and overall preference to speakers) through headphones.  Sure, I'd love to plunk down 4k on a 'smyth realiser' for a hardware solution, but the cost is prohibitive.  I've been trying out different software solutions, and my favorite so far is a virtual sound card software 'Out of Your Head.'   The software runs the sound from the PC through a virtual sound card that applies EQ that simulates a surround system.  

I'm satisfied enough with the results for now, but the OOYH effect only works on media played directly by the PC.  When using the PC as a server and running a client such as Plex  in my living room, the media is played from the Plex client and not the server, and the effect is bypassed.  Thus, if I want to play music or watch media ON the pc directly, I'm fine, but in the living room server (over wired network, but I can also use wireless) it doesnt work.  

Besides a long, long cable, is there a way around this?  The goal is to have the software work when played on the client side from media on the server side.  I'm certainly open to ideas and appreciate any help provided!

you have a piece of software meant to work locally, not integrated with streaming to another device. See if the manufacturer can help, perhaps has a different product for streaming.

An option you might want to consider is a second machine like a NUC running the same software setup.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system