IGNORED

Substitute for Chomecast audio?

Looking for something with similar functionality: wifi, USB connection possible. 

Anyone found anything that works well?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@firedog

How about an old broken iPhone with CCK ?

Well, that is if you’re into iDevices ....

Don't know if an android can do the same. 

Now, why would you replace your Chromecast Audio, and are you using it as a digital transport or using its DAC as well ?

I suppose you’re looking for something in the same price range ?

The other item that comes to mind, is the Squeezebox (Touch)  😀 

Looking to attach the device to a powered USB port on wireless speakers, then send signal from Roon or LMS to the device. The wireless speakers are designed to be used that way (They also have BT, but I assume  a lossless signal sent over wireless will sound better). 

Yes I could use a Touch or my  present Chromecast Audio, but they are already in use and I'd prefer to reserve them for those other uses. Would prefer something inexpensive, if possible. Not looking to create the ultimate audiophile results here, just something pretty good.  

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Sounds like an old (broken glass) iPhone & CCK will be perfect 😀

Of cause many other and more expensive options are available, but it’s hard the beat the iPhone option.

Do you have an iDevice and the CCK available ?

You could even test it against your more expensive equipment. You may get surprised 😀

I have a JBL wireless speaker that I use on the patio, garage or kitchen.  I send Roon through my iphone either Bluetooth or a simple 3.5mm (auxiliary in) cord connection.  You could use an iphone, ipad or a cheap tablet found at your local pawn shop or craigslist.  When I first started using Roon before Apple products were supported for audio zones, I bought a used Roon recommended tablet as a zone device for this scenario.  I paid just under $70.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

57 minutes ago, avta said:

Apple Airport Express gen 2?

Thanks, but not looking to expand into the world of Apple devices and auxiliary hardware. I do own one iPad that i use for surfing, but it’s not what I’d want to attach permanently to the wireless speaker system. 
As I said in the OP, I’m looking for something to attach to the USB port of the speaker system and just leave it sitting there to receive audio over wifi. 
I guess I could use a cheap tablet. I don’t even really need the screen, though. That’s why I asked about something that more or less replaces a Chromecast audio: Plug in a small device and covert your item to a wireless audio playback device. 

Does it have to be USB?  An old, unused DAP via AUX port.  If Android based could load an Endpoint app.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

19 hours ago, firedog said:

Thanks, but not looking to expand into the world of Apple devices and auxiliary hardware. I do own one iPad that i use for surfing, but it’s not what I’d want to attach permanently to the wireless speaker system. 
As I said in the OP, I’m looking for something to attach to the USB port of the speaker system and just leave it sitting there to receive audio over wifi. 
I guess I could use a cheap tablet. I don’t even really need the screen, though. That’s why I asked about something that more or less replaces a Chromecast audio: Plug in a small device and covert your item to a wireless audio playback device. 

Do you actually understand the suggested advice adding a tablet or iDevice as an endpoint ? I think not. You don’t need to use the screen at all. Actually you shouldn’t. 

I’m 100% sure you do understand the concept of an endpoint. And I suppose you’re using your iPad to control music and Roon. Your other posts sometimes reveal high technical skills. 

So you get a cheap additional iOS device, even one with a broken glass, use usb interface and control it from your present iPad.  Have you ever tried ? Do you really understand the concept ?

You can as I said, even test the concept by using your present iPad as an endpoint. Use a PC to control Roon temporary. But the key is to have the CCK. Without the CCK, it won’t work.

If you have an Android lying around, it may work as well, but this I haven’t tested, so I cannot tell you if an Android will show up as an endpoint in Roon. Also there’s a challenge of splitting usb signal and power. 

The iDevice solution is cheap, takes less than 5 min to setup, works 100%, and has excellent SQ. 

The pi will of cause also work in same manner. More complicated if you ask me. 

19 hours ago, avta said:

Sure I understand. Why not another Chromecast Audio? There’s plenty of them on eBay last time I checked. 

Do Chromecast Audio support usb ? I don’t think so. Analog out or digital toslink via same physical connection. Correct ?

BTW

That horrible airport express doesn’t have usb out. Correct ?

It has analog out if I remember correctly. 

On 4/21/2019 at 3:49 AM, firedog said:

Looking for something with similar functionality: wifi, USB connection possible. 

Anyone found anything that works well?

You need to be more specific - your intentions are not clear. If you're looking for an endpoint device you can power from an active speaker's USB port but not output to USB, you may be out of luck.  CCA's the only simple, inexpensive device I've seen that gets power from USB, and it only delivers audio output via 3.5mm TRS analog or 3.5mm optical digital.   If you want to power an endpoint directly and send audio to your active speaker via USB, a Raspberry Pi costs the same $35 that a CCA used to cost and does the job as well (or better.   You just have to install an endpoint, e.g. Roon Bridge, Volumio, Moode, etc.  JRMC runs well on a Pi too.

But if you're trying to avoid running any wires except between the speaker and the endpoint, I don't know of anything as simple and effective as CCA.

6 hours ago, bluesman said:

You need to be more specific - your intentions are not clear. If you're looking for an endpoint device you can power from an active speaker's USB port but not output to USB, you may be out of luck.  CCA's the only simple, inexpensive device I've seen that gets power from USB, and it only delivers audio output via 3.5mm TRS analog or 3.5mm optical digital.   If you want to power an endpoint directly and send audio to your active speaker via USB, a Raspberry Pi costs the same $35 that a CCA used to cost and does the job as well (or better.   You just have to install an endpoint, e.g. Roon Bridge, Volumio, Moode, etc.  JRMC runs well on a Pi too.

But if you're trying to avoid running any wires except between the speaker and the endpoint, I don't know of anything as simple and effective as CCA.

I'm really looking for a wifi endpoint that can output to an AUX input, and be powered by a powered USB port. I only know of the Chromecast, and now the Apple Camera device. 

I could go for one of the Pi variants and use the audio out, but that wouldn't be powered from the powered USB port. 

On 4/23/2019 at 8:14 AM, firedog said:

I'm really looking for a wifi endpoint that can output to an AUX input, and be powered by a powered USB port.

So what you’re actually looking for an USB powered DAC with WiFi, that can communicate with Roon? 

(AUX to be understood as analog out, hence you need DAC)

May I ask what’s wrong or why you don’t want to use the Chromecast Audio ?

Like to have a better DAC, and/or not a discontinued product maybe ?

Actually my CCK suggestion won’t work then. Then you need the Rockstar and the Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter. Maybe with an additional 3.5 to RCA adapter, as you haven’t told us how that AUX looks like.

If you like a better DAC, you can still use the CCK and an Audioquest Beetle (or Audioquest Red/Black).

I’m actually using the Beetle myself with CCK. But only in my car. (With an old iPhone) The raise in SQ, doing it this way is remarkable huge.

Sort of don't want a discontinued product. Not looking for a superaudiophile level piece - it 's for a secondary setup and will mostly be doing internet radio. 

10 minutes ago, firedog said:

Sort of don't want a discontinued product. Not looking for a superaudiophile level piece - it 's for a secondary setup and will mostly be doing internet radio. 

You can do this with any phone or tablet (Android or iOS) that has an analog ‘phone jack. Power it from the USB port and run a 3.5mm cable from device out to speaker in.

I bought a new 7” Android tablet on sale for $35 at Best Buy a few months ago to use on stage for lyrics. But I put Roon on it and use it at home too. There are many players and streaming endpoints available for these devices that will do what you want.

My iPhone 4s is long retired from service, but it still works fine as a network device. JRemote is intact, although the old processor won’t run any of the Roon instances.

Haven't tested, b/c I don't yet have the powered speakers the device will be hooked up to. I think I am going to buy 2 devices: a Chromecast audio off ebay: (yes, in spite of what I previously thought they are so cheap I might as well),; and a Raspberry PI built into a touch screen/stand from Volumio. One of my goals for this setup is to add a SB Touch replacement, hence the item from Volumio.  The Chromecast will go into the powered USB port on the speakers and the Pi will connect via AUX.