phosphorein

Adieu Old Friend

Rate this topic

CNN, 2 minutes ago:

French official says "both towers of the cathedral are safe" and the fire is cooling.

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

This is quite interesting. Are trees really so different nowadays? Maybe that's why Stradivarius and Guarnieri violins are still unbeatable..(although I also heard a theory of a specific climate influence on trees back in those times).

There are not any trees in France that are large enough to replace the ancient Beachwood beams that burned in the Notre Dame fire, Bertrand de Feydeau, vice president of the French Heritage Foundation (Fondation du Patrimoine), told CNN.

“The roof was made of beechwood beams over 800 years ago. There are no longer trees of that size in France,” he said. 

Asked if any trees in Europe were big enough for the beams and could be imported to Paris, he said, “I don’t know.”

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

19 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Are trees really so different nowadays?

They're cut younger is much of the issue. The average age of French oak forests is closer to 150 years, when they'd usually cut at around 300. By the way, CNN fucked the translation up, and those beams were oak, not beech.

There's also a small thing on Le Monde's website that quotes the head of the French wood industry association as saying that "they're going to organise, including financially, so that French oak is used". The same piece mentions that one of France's insurance companies pledged 1300 oak trees from one of its forests, in Normandy. 

1 hour ago, Thuaveta said:

They're cut younger is much of the issue.

Ah, and another reason why they can't rebuild it "like it was" is that the logs were originally laid down in a bog for 25 years to treat them against insects and mushrooms. Safe to say that's not going to happen again...

apparently a lot of the burned parts were things done in the mid-1800s, not the original 1100s structures

I hear there are Solokian and Norwegian or Swedish oak forests that are pretty old and straight grained.

NYT has a good article on this today

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

57 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

I was quite heartbroken yesterday when I heard the news - so much happier today as I heard the magnificent "rose" windows were saved, along with that incredible organ!  Now to get it rebuilt better than ever.

Same here, I instantly reminded myself knocking with my fingers at the pillars inside the cathedral which is enough to make them resonate - you can clearly hear the effect, they simply behave like huge strings!

Seems that all my connotations have musical nature x-D

Oh... Notre Dame is to put it simply a beauty.. And I'm sure it will remain one..

―  William Shakespeare.