IGNORED

Article: AXPONA 2019 Best of Show

P.S. There was one more system that really impressed me at AXPONA. It was a headphone system. I can't give this system, a rating because it isn't officially being released until the Munich show in May. However, we've been given an exclusive to post video of the system Tuesday. What I heard was possibly the best headphone system I've ever heard. It isn't cheap (over $20,000) but the best things in life are either free or well over what most of us can afford. Look for more on Tuesday.

Having joined Chris for this preview and listen, I can attest to the fact that it's quite special.

Can you point me to the tracks you listened to on the Avantgarde system? Thx.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here is the Coltrane:

Qobuz version - https://open.qobuz.com/track/31034477

I have a CD rip of the Analog Productions version that is even better - https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/82058/John_Coltrane-Standard_Coltrane-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

CD rip? Or SACD rip? I love Coltrane... Ordered the Analogue Productions SACD you pointed to (which is not out yet) - their Nina Simone's "Little Girl Blue" SACD remaster from 2015 is absolutely stunning. Plus it was done five blocks away from my home in NYC! :)

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

6 minutes ago, miguelito said:

CD rip? Or SACD rip? I love Coltrane... Ordered the Analogue Productions SACD you pointed to (which is not out yet) - their Nina Simone's "Little Girl Blue" SACD remaster from 2015 is absolutely stunning. Plus it was done five blocks away from my home in NYC! :)

CD Rip.

I believe it's the same version released years ago from Analogue Productions.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

CD Rip.

I believe it's the same version released years ago from Analogue Productions.

When I get the SACD (no release date yet apparently) I'll post a review. I have a PS3 which I solely dedicate to the task of ripping SACDs.

system pics

I like Vinnie's table!  Do you have a link to it?

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

23 minutes ago, Madra said:

That said, I feel it is going to be too big for your listening room. An Uno XD will be visually and sonically (probably) more appropriate. Maybe more experienced Avantgarde listners can chime in.

The Duo Mezzo (which I have) is a large speaker that works great in a large space. See: https://goo.gl/66fjxw

Would it work well in a smaller space? It is a fairly directional speaker (because of the horns) so room reflections are generally less critical in the mids and highs than with a regular design. Given the basshorn is pretty adjustable, it is possible it would work fine in a smaller room. 

One more thing: In my previous apartment the speakers had to be set up in one end of a large room, firing in the short direction. You can get this to work well with careful setup. But these speakers project sound forward with a lot of power, and when you set them up firing in the long direction of the room they really rock.

What I would recommend is talking to the Avantgarde guys - they are super nice.

system pics

Always pleasing to finally come across a system that's been coaxed into delivering competent sound ... the Avantgarde is as good a demo as any of what playback should always be like, and how miserable many setups are at getting it right, in comparison. This is a rig that's "getting out of the way", and you actually hearing the content of the recording ...

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I love the flexibility one gets, with respect to amplifiers, when using horns. 

Yeah. Had a friend come in with a ZOTL amp - flea watt sort of thing - and it drove the AG's without issues. Not the same as Ongaku, but still fun...

system pics

I liked the Avantgarde, Esoteric, Transparent, Harmonic Resolution recording best, but I would be very unhappy with that sound in my home system. iPhone recordings are interesting but terribly limited in SQ. I don't doubt it sounded awesome in real life.

The Avantgarde Zero TA based system had horrendous sibilance and I don't think that can be blamed on the recording, since the other systems did not have the same problem.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Only a 16/44 version from Tidal, not Analogue Productions. 

Sounds really good, Coltrane is a great test for systems, most cant keep up! Keep the videos coming, you can easily tell if a source is producing noise or music. 

Agree the Vinnie Rossi room was great, enveloping, generous – if I were starting out and had the necessary in my pocket, and weren't a twitchy audiophile, that would be perfect. The Dynaudio Confidence 20s were something too, glad to have heard them. I became increasingly disaffected by vast boxes and cables like invasive pythons (not to mention monster loudspeakers playing small-group female vocal jazz, thwack, twang, brush), and the VR room was the antidote. Nagra plus Kharma was the best sound overall, but that's getting back into crazed audiophile territory.

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

14 hours ago, miguelito said:

Would it work well in a smaller space? It is a fairly directional speaker (because of the horns) so room reflections are generally less critical in the mids and highs than with a regular design. Given the basshorn is pretty adjustable, it is possible it would work fine in a smaller room. 

One more point: This is certainly not a near-field speaker. You need at least around 10ft distance for the various drivers to blend. The Uno Fino is much more of a near-field speaker.

system pics

14 hours ago, miguelito said:

The Duo Mezzo (which I have) is a large speaker that works great in a large space. See: https://goo.gl/66fjxw

One more thing: In my previous apartment the speakers had to be set up in one end of a large room, firing in the short direction. You can get this to work well with careful setup. But these speakers project sound forward with a lot of power, and when you set them up firing in the long direction of the room they really rock.

What I would recommend is talking to the Avantgarde guys - they are super nice.

I actually auditioned the Duo Mezzo in a reltively small space and it worked rather well. I was seated 3m from the speakers but felt that a couple of additional meters, and more space around the speakers would yield even better results.

My reservations about the Duos in Chris’s room are equall sound and aesthetic. Having a pitched low ceiling on the sides, I do not find them a good visual match, and I know Chris is sensitive about visuals.

33 minutes ago, Madra said:

I actually auditioned the Duo Mezzo in a reltively small space and it worked rather well. I was seated 3m from the speakers but felt that a couple of additional meters, and more space around the speakers would yield even better results.

My reservations about the Duos in Chris’s room are equall sound and aesthetic. Having a pitched low ceiling on the sides, I do not find them a good visual match, and I know Chris is sensitive about visuals.

Honestly I think those horns look amazing in any room. Just need to be careful about choosing an appropriate finish.

My friend in Princeton with the Duo's had them in metallic blue. He's actually a psychiatrist. When I was debating about the color, I liked the striking look of the metallic blue, or the Ferrari red. However, he made the point that you're looking at it continuously, and that if I chose blue, they would sound bright to me, red would always feel hot-rodded... So I chose metallic rose gold, which I love. If I were to order for Chris's room, it would be a dark finish on the basshorn (black or similar) with a matte white horn.

system pics