IGNORED

SACD + 24/192 Async USB all for the price of a Honda

Looks like Esoteric has a new top dog in the SACD player world. This one comes with an async USB connection supporting 24/192, though. JPY 1,470,000 for the K-01 (~$18k) and 840,000 for the K-03 (~$10k).

http://esoteric.teac.com/audio_players/k-01/

http://esoteric.teac.com/audio_players/k-03/

The Ayre DX-5 @ $10k doesn't look so crazy now, does it?

• 3 months later...

I'm wondering if Chris might be able to review one of these to address whether it improves on the D-07 USB input or whether the same issues he identified remain.

Also, I'm surprised that the K-01 still uses the VRDS-NEO transport, which is the lowest grade of all the Esoteric transports, same as the $5k SA-50.

The Ayre DX-5 @ $10k doesn't look so crazy now, does it?

Scot, although all three players (Esoteric, Ayre) are quite expensive as disc spinners, I think the real shock and awe over the Ayre (which also does BluRay) was that it was initially being seen as an upgraded Oppo, and hence thrown quickly into the likes of the Lexicon fiasco. However, the Ayre is NOT an upgraded Oppo anymore than any of the earlier players using a Pioneer sled was an upgraded Pioneer. Very few parts and even less design was brought over.

All that being said I just can't personally get behind disc spinners that are built and priced in this category. My $.02

Ted, I certainly wasn't taking a swipe at Charles & Co with my "crazy" remark. But I think we have similar reservations about this technology being priced out at those levels. It's kind of like $30k turntables, $10k cables or $100k speakers. My first reaction is usually sheer disbelief. And not at how cool the technology is.

Anyway ....

I like the idea of a combo package. Something that covers all my digital needs. But at those prices, it's gonna be a while before I "invest" in the approach.

"All that being said I just can't personally get behind disc spinners that are built and priced in this category."

Yup. The high-priced CD spinners are going the way of the dodo bird with the advent of the computer transport. I assume this Esoteric model is marketed towards the cost-no-object audiophiles in SE Asia.

That's really the only demographic that would pay for it. There are couple of high-end players on Audiogon, a Naim CD555 and a Lindemann SACD going for less than half. They've been sitting there for awhile.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21