Mike Rubin

Powered speakers with microRendu?

Rate this topic

I am going to add a small sound system to a basement room that also has a TV.  I still have the microRendu that my Signature SE replaced in my main system and would like to use it with powered speakers that have a built-in USB DAC and an optical input for a TV.

The KEF LS50 might meet my requirements but it doesn't appear to have DSD capability, so I would need play my DSD files as PCM.  Are there users of this combination of renderer and speaker?  

Are there alternatives that also would work that include DSD capability?  Would I be better off with a separate small-footprint DSD DAC and a less expensive powered speaker that has RCA inputs?  (Most powered speakers seem to have mini-jack inputs rather than RCA.  Is this likely to compromise SQ compared to RCA inputs?)

Sorry for so many questions.  Not finding anything helpful using Google!  

Any suggestions 

3 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

I am going to add a small sound system to a basement room that also has a TV.  I still have the microRendu that my Signature SE replaced in my main system and would like to use it with powered speakers that have a built-in USB DAC and an optical input for a TV.

The KEF LS50 might meet my requirements but it doesn't appear to have DSD capability, so I would need play my DSD files as PCM.  Are there users of this combination of renderer and speaker?  

Are there alternatives that also would work that include DSD capability?  Would I be better off with a separate small-footprint DSD DAC and a less expensive powered speaker that has RCA inputs?  (Most powered speakers seem to have mini-jack inputs rather than RCA.  Is this likely to compromise SQ compared to RCA inputs?)

Any suggestions 

We have customers doing it, but I don’t know the details. Before DSD support we would convert DSD on the fly to 24/176.4 or 24/88.2 and it worked great. If you need a small DAC I can offer you the Sonore toneDAC in a few weeks when we have more available.

6 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Any suggestions 

I think you won’t find much that plays back DSD, and if it does, it is converting it internally to PCM right away before the conversion to analog. I’d just find the powered speaker you like best and convert to PCM on the server side if you need to. It will still sound great. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also 2 SBT and an SB Boom. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks, guys.  

The Yamaha NX500 seems to be able to handle DSD over USB, but I don't know if it's native or converts to PCM.  I also can't find a local dealer who will let me hear a pair. 

Any other recommendations for specific powered speakers?