IGNORED

Double Blind Testing Prices All Power Cords Have An Effect On Audio!!!!!

On 4/15/2019 at 7:08 PM, AudioDoctor said:

You guys got way too serious about a tongue in cheek satirical article and totally missed my brilliant explanation of how it works...

Let's say everybody in Smalltown, USA has been driving around on a gasoline containing 81 octane max for as long as they can remember.  All the vehicles in town are sputtering, stalling, lacking hp and torque, short mean-time-between-failure-rates for engine parts, poor mpg, overall engine inefficiencies leading to shorter engine lifespanse, etc.

Then somebody posts a tongue-in-cheek comment in the local newspaper's op/ed section mocking a newly developed fuel they heard about containing 93 octane promising improved hp, torque, and mpg, no more sputters and stalls, overall improved engine efficiencies, longer MTBF rates, quieter operation, and overall longer more enjoyable troublefree engine lifespans. 

Yes, I think I understand the tongue-in-cheek humor.  It's a good one.  :)

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

6 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I think a more apt analogy for your example would be someone telling you that fitting a new gas line from the tank to your engine will solve all your problems...

I agree.  How's this?

Let's say everybody in Smalltown, USA has been driving around in vehicles containing too restrictive fuel lines for as long as they can remember.  All the vehicles in town are sputtering, stalling, lacking hp and torque, short mean-time-between-failure-rates for engine parts, poor mpg, overall engine inefficiencies leading to shorter engine lifespanse, etc.

Then somebody posts a tongue-in-cheek comment in the local newspaper's op/ed section mocking a newly developed fuel line they heard about allowing a sufficient flow of fuel to meet an engine's fuel demands promising improved hp, torque, and mpg, no more sputters and stalls, overall improved engine efficiencies, longer MTBF rates, quieter operation, and overall longer more enjoyable troublefree engine lifespans. 

Yes, I think I understand the tongue-in-cheek humor.  It's still a good one.  :)

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

I could see upgrading a cord in SOME cases, surely not all though.  I've worked with some HID ballasts in the 400W range and they only include usually an 18awg cable with it.  Just not enough conductor diameter to do the job properly IMO, there is huge inrush to account for and an 18awg cord will get physically warm after a few hrs of use.  But that assembly passed UL/CE/FCC certification as designed, with the included cord.  It's a marginal pass though, barely making the cut.  Upgrade the cord and things just run safer, not necessarily performing better.

Shielding mattered more years ago when we dealt with CRT's, especially computer monitors.  They dumped airborne noise in audible part of spectrum and shielding would help a lot.  Emissions from modern PCs and LCDs is nothing in comparison to back in the 90's.

11 hours ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

I could see upgrading a cord in SOME cases, surely not all though.  I've worked with some HID ballasts in the 400W range and they only include usually an 18awg cable with it.  Just not enough conductor diameter to do the job properly IMO, there is huge inrush to account for and an 18awg cord will get physically warm after a few hrs of use.  But that assembly passed UL/CE/FCC certification as designed, with the included cord.  It's a marginal pass though, barely making the cut.  Upgrade the cord and things just run safer, not necessarily performing better.

Shielding mattered more years ago when we dealt with CRT's, especially computer monitors.  They dumped airborne noise in audible part of spectrum and shielding would help a lot.  Emissions from modern PCs and LCDs is nothing in comparison to back in the 90's.

You do make a good point here.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

There is an old saying; one with more than a modicum of truth to it. To wit: “The mind sees what it wants to see.” We can expand that bit of wisdom to say “The mind also HEARS what it wants to hear!”

You could add or remove an important change into the sound system, but the mind will hear what it hears anyway after very short adaptation period. What it used and expects to hear.

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

“The mind also HEARS what it wants to hear!”

That applies especially to many of the Objective members of this forum ! :P

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:05 PM, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

Emissions from modern PCs and LCDs is nothing in comparison to back in the 90's.

But it has been replaced in many cases by cheap LED lighting SMPS power supplies.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

On 4/21/2019 at 8:42 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Every electrical device sold in the US has to be UL Listed and one of the mandates they make is that the power cord has to carry the current the device can draw...

And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Fine.  Then go back to my original analogy and apply your UL comment to that.

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

But it has been replaced in many cases by cheap LED lighting SMPS power supplies. 

Levels aren't the same though.  My roommate would turn on my PC in college and the CRT television in our dorm room would go from crystal clear picture to nothing but snow, instantly.  And the PC was 20ft away from the TV antenna.  That is a LOT of energy.

FCC cracked down on a ton of industries about a decade ago.  Lighting was one industry, another I remember well was guitar effects.  If you generate any frequency above 10khz the FCC will come at you hard if you aren't filtering properly.  Ballast mfgs and pedal makers were hit hard with fines, some went out of business.  But the end result has been much clearer airwaves and power lines here in the states, things may be different elsewhere.

One thing that drives me nuts though is the growing DIY LED lighting industry.  Most of the boost/buck converters being sold for this on amazon are less than $20 and have no certifications at all.  Only a few run well with low noise levels, most are mass produced spectrum polluting junk.  They get away with it by classifying the device as a part/diy assembly and not a finished product.  Sneaky.

I just hate those self-ballasted bulbs, I run COB's on an LPS and they run pretty clean.

47 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Why just a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine brought over some ultra expensive power cord from Furutech. I explained to him how it was completely impossible for that cord to change the sound of his amplifier.    My amp had a different connector than his cord, so we used my headphone amp to test it.

Come on George, that is a completely unfair way to verify any improvements from an  expensive mains cable designed to power HIGH CURRENT devices such as high power Power Amplifiers etc., not a piddling Headphone Amplifier! :o

Laws of physics are just that, law.  Independently validated time and time again by scientist after scientist.  Fully reproducible and observable if you follow the same documented steps.  If a cable mfg or anyone else claims that their product ever gets around one of these laws, they are frauds.

Then there is theory/hypothesis.  It's a concept that may be possible or somewhat accepted, but it isn't law.  Because it can't be observed yet with current tech or consistent results can't be obtained with capable tech right now.

Most cables fall under theory or hypothesis.  They may be right, they may be wrong, but no one can agree either way.

42 minutes ago, Allan F said:

And, of course, you reject out of hand the possibility that what you "ignore as a figment of my imagination" is, in fact, real. Your bias, IMO, stems from the assumption that any audible differences that can be heard must necessarily be measurable with current knowledge, technology and techniques.

I take your meaning,  but I do not think that is what George said. What he said is perfectly true, at least for George. What Alex says is perfectly true, at least for Alex. :)

It appears to be a conundrum! :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

19 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

More like separate contradicting realities that are both valid, but only within their corresponding personal universes.

You are completely missing the obvious. There are quite a few other members, including Peter and Mani, and other people from a couple of other forums that have also experienced AND verified MY Reality.

George shares his reality along with members such as Mansr.

I liken getting audio of high quality to doing a precision scientific measurement - in the latter, the greater the precision, and certainty desired, the more 'expensive' the effort will be - in time and/or expense - there are no shortcuts available, like just chucking in some extra visual bling, to try and push it over the line.

Science has some of the ultimate high end exercises in pushing the limits of "finding extra detail" - massively huge, massively expensive, to render "audible" a tiny, tiny thing ...

17 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You are completely missing the obvious. There are quite a few other members, including Peter and Mani, and other people from a couple of other forums that have also experienced AND verified MY Reality.

George shares his reality along with members such as Mansr.

That, Alex, is not sufficient evidence in my reality. The evidence that you sent me and others didn’t validate your claims, so perhaps our universes are just not compatible.