AudioDoctor

Double Blind Testing Prices All Power Cords Have An Effect On Audio!!!!!

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, fas42 said:

Unfortunately, electrons are very even handed in their ways of dealing with 'obstacles'.

The problem with vague meaningless statements is that they don’t take into account physics. None of this has to do with “electrons” per se except for their participation in electromagnetic waves.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

The problem with vague meaningless statements is that they don’t take into account physics. None of this has to do with “electrons” per se except for their participation in electromagnetic waves.

My light comments about dealing with the weakest link don't take, I see - from my POV, I see most audio rigs as laughable, having very obvious "flimsy back doors" - with the owners believing that the magic of extra bling takes care of that ... to rephrase things, physics is very even handed in its way of dealing with 'obstacles' ...

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

19 minutes ago, fas42 said:

My light comments about dealing with the weakest link don't take, I see - from my POV, I see most audio rigs as laughable, having very obvious "flimsy back doors" - with the owners believing that the magic of extra bling takes care of that ... to rephrase things, physics is very even handed in its way of dealing with 'obstacles' ...

Lighten up a bit Frank, you have certainly built an interesting way to get a wonderful sound system, but there *are* other ways, including just throwing enough money at it to get it right.  And "right" seems to be a very fluid target these days, but at the end of any given day, what makes you happy, what makes you smile, what your wife does not kill you over? All good stuff. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

Lighten up a bit Frank, you have certainly built an interesting way to get a wonderful sound system, but there *are* other ways, including just throwing enough money at it to get it right.  And "right" seems to be a very fluid target these days, but at the end of any given day, what makes you happy, what makes you smile, what your wife does not kill you over? All good stuff. 

-Paul 

Cultural differences come in - I was being light, actually ^_^.

Yes, money can do it, and always has been able to; best LP playback I've heard, over 30 years ago, was from a slightly lesser, copy of the famous HP rig of the time.

I would beg to differ on "right" being fluid; what a fully competent rig - not something I have right now - delivers is:

1) Completely invisible speakers, from anywhere in the space, or room

2) The ability to go to any sane level of SPLs with complete assurance, "effortless" is the word to think of here. This means that it can deliver an orchestral crescendo with absolute authority, no excuses needed; or the correct impact of a drum kit only feet away from one

3) The tonality never wavers from perfectly mimicking real world sounds, "naturalness" is what comes to mind

4) All recordings show of their very best; even the most down trodden reveals remarkable insight into the musical event that was recorded; and can be fully enjoyed, the presentation is completely satisfying

Frank

2 hours ago, Paul R said:

-Paul 

I would be surprised if most wives knew just how much some of these fancy networked systems cost to implement, and whether they believed they were more worthwhile than a nice kitchen upgrade, or a more comfortable living room for the whole family ?

From my own observations, it appears that many (most?) wives like an unobtrusive system that they can have on while they carry on a normal level conversation ! :D

"If you can't hear the difference between an original CD and a copy of your CD,

you might as well give up your career as a tester. The difference between a reconstituted FLAC and full size WAV is much less than that, but it does exist. - Cookie Marenco"

PROFILE UPDATED 31-10-2018

55 minutes ago, sandyk said:

From my own observations, it appears that many (most?) wives like an unobtrusive system that they can have on while they carry on a normal level conversation ! :D

Bev gets a real buzz out of what I do - has for 30 years. And she especially likes the rig to have limitless grunt - I have to apologise for the fact that the limits have been reached, because of gain setup and clipping restrictions.

It all depends on the compression level of the recordings - modern pop efforts easily make it impossible to converse, because the average SPLs are just too great.

Frank

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Bev gets a real buzz out of what I do - has for 30 years. And she especially likes the rig to have limitless grunt - I have to apologise for the fact that the limits have been reached, because of gain setup and clipping restrictions.

It all depends on the compression level of the recordings - modern pop efforts easily make it impossible to converse, because the average SPLs are just too great.

She would also need to like the smell of soldering flux as you solder up all your interconnects, speaker cables, mains cables etc. :D

"If you can't hear the difference between an original CD and a copy of your CD,

you might as well give up your career as a tester. The difference between a reconstituted FLAC and full size WAV is much less than that, but it does exist. - Cookie Marenco"

PROFILE UPDATED 31-10-2018

23 hours ago, opus101 said:

Given that you do seem to accept that its CM noise which is the issue and isn't going to be much filtered by the mains trafo its just a small step to envisage a particular design of mains cable to act as a distributed common-mode choke.

I don't know if that works or not, but it is a possibility. Thanks for your input.

On 4/16/2019 at 4:20 PM, sandyk said:

George

Yet once again you plain wrong about possible audible differences between interconnects, Coax SPDIF cables and even some power cables, both for A.C. and DC too.

I didn't believe in differences between A.C. mains cables either until  expensive Mains cables on loan from a local HiiFi dealer were  substituted between a cheap Bunnings Hardware store power board and a couple of big Nelson Pass Class A monoblocks at one of our then regular listening sessions.

All 5 present reported hearing small but worthwhile improvements with the very expensive mains cables under NON SIGHTED conditions.

Alex

But, I didn't say anything about "possible audible differences between interconnects" in this thread, Alex my friend.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

She would also need to like the smell of soldering flux as you solder up all your interconnects, speaker cables, mains cables etc. :D

Yes, that's the problem with soldering ... you have to do it every month or so - unlike push on connectors which maintain integrity over indefinite periods of time ...

Frank

20 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes, that's the problem with soldering ... you have to do it every month or so - unlike push on connectors which maintain integrity over indefinite periods of time ...

does the bit rot set in after a month?

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

5 hours ago, Paul R said:

-Paul 

Problem is what seem to be "right" in one particular day may seem to be wrong after certain period of time. Nothing stays and would not. That is why difference brought by any and every upgrade (expensive or not) is only temporary. One may be remarkably happy one day with the sound of the rig, as a result of elegant combination of food, wine, wife and news, the other day the same rig will sound bland and not involving with wrong combination of the same factors.

5 hours ago, fas42 said:

Cultural differences come in - I was being light, actually ^_^.

Yes, money can do it, and always has been able to; best LP playback I've heard, over 30 years ago, was from a slightly lesser, copy of the famous HP rig of the time.

I would beg to differ on "right" being fluid; what a fully competent rig - not something I have right now - delivers is:

1) Completely invisible speakers, from anywhere in the space, or room

2) The ability to go to any sane level of SPLs with complete assurance, "effortless" is the word to think of here. This means that it can deliver an orchestral crescendo with absolute authority, no excuses needed; or the correct impact of a drum kit only feet away from one

3) The tonality never wavers from perfectly mimicking real world sounds, "naturalness" is what comes to mind

4) All recordings show of their very best; even the most down trodden reveals remarkable insight into the musical event that was recorded; and can be fully enjoyed, the presentation is completely satisfying

Cultural differences perhaps are more important that we credit.

There is plenty of recent music I won't play because the bass is soooo overdone. If it was a steak I would nail it to the wall as warning to the other listeners. 

You can not make that sound good on any system on the planet. Unless you happen to like that kind of music of course. (I most emphatically do not.)  Well, perhaps a system without speakers or headphone outputs... the best sound from some of that music is quite literally silence

In any case, it is a live and let live world. I have got to hear some of your systems some day. :) 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

35 minutes ago, Paul R said:

There is plenty of recent music I won't play because the bass is soooo overdone. If it was a steak I would nail it to the wall as warning to the other listeners. 

You can not make that sound good on any system on the planet. Unless you happen to like that kind of music of course. (I most emphatically do not.)  Well, perhaps a system without speakers or headphone outputs... the best sound from some of that music is quite literally silence

In any case, it is a live and let live world. I have got to hear some of your systems some day. :) 

-Paul 

Such recent music would play nicely on small portable or/and mobile systems.

38 minutes ago, Paul R said:

[...]

Also, most (if not literally all) of recordings made in India, Africa, Caribbean or Middle East are below quality standards accepted by Western listeners. And it means nothing to the people of those parts of the world. They have lot of joy from their music and they do not depend from sound 'quality' issues.

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

What a load of rubbish.