IGNORED

Double Blind Testing Prices All Power Cords Have An Effect On Audio!!!!!

barrows - do you have any brands/models of AC power cords to suggest that people try?

- esp. ones with a return priv. or 'rental' from one of the places renting cables

BTW, I'd do a dedicated line long before a swap of AC power cords; a swap of DC power cords (to the DAC) before that, and an upgraded p/s to the DAC before that...

ok, I am going to try to argue in favor of an AC power cable affecting SQ...

It is the closest (or first) piece of AC cable to the component in question, not just the last part of an electrical distribution chain.

As the closest AC cable to the enclosure, it picks up radiated noise (RF) and then conducts it into the component.

Now, this RF noise gets past the transformer and into the circuit.  This happens either by magik, or by a parasitic leakage (via the 'ghost' circuit of capacitive coupling).

49 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Quite true, I didn’t mention it because I thought it muddied the waters to my main point, which is that these huge and hugely expensive boutique power cords cannot possibly have any effect on the sound.

If all the other arguments fail to convince one of this simple fact, doubters and true believers alike should ponder this final and indisputable fact: Since the Romex* cable in one’s walls is not shielded, why would a shielded 6ft. long mains cable from the wall socket to the IEC socket on the back of a component do anything to keep out RFI? If there is RFI, it was already picked up by the wall wiring, of which there is likely hundreds of feet before the mains power ever reaches the wall outlet into which the boutique power cable has been plugged. In other words, the notion that these expensive IEC cables do anything that the cable which came with the component in question can’t or doesn’t do, is just that... a notion.

*Romex is the heavy-gauge sheathed, solid copper cable that carries your mains (in the USA) from your fuse/breaker box to your various outlets throughout your house.

Yes.  The only way around that is to claim that RFI sources are near the AC power cable.

12 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Clean contacts is a great idea. Works wanders in addition to better cords.

but don't you want to prevent "wanders"?

The electrons should go straight thru the "slow pull" oxytocin-free pure "Oh no!" copper 

10 hours ago, Paul R said:

Well, Ramapo Triplex 2-2-2 is only about $1.02/foot. That will surely handle any power need for an amp. :)

Yeah, I am being a little facetious, becuase who would want that stuff visible in their house? But in any case, even with 2-2-2 from the wall to the device, the rest of the house is probably just Romex, and the lights may still I'm for a second or so. They will just I'm a little faster!

Seriously, cable shenanigans are atrocious, and right up there with the snake oil salesmen selling electrocream or whatnot. 

-Paul

you should upgrade from the Ramapo Triplex to the Rambo - and put him on a Quad, not a Triplex (which are illegal now anyway)

the Rambo is well suited to freeing any captive electrons

11 hours ago, sandyk said:

Paul

I may not be winning this argument anywhere near every time, but I sure as hell have a great deal more of member support than I did originally 10 years ago ¬¬

You can see many members now think ( and experiment ) for themselves, instead of blindly accepting everything the "Experts" insist is correct.  This is way more obvious in areas other than the General Forum area. 

Even Ralf11 has conceded that I have made quite a few worthwhile contributions in the important Power Supply area, as well as the Analogue area.

Alex

I have "conceded" nothing.  I have several times pointed out your contributions in analog circuits.  you need to learn digital.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

The spec allows for a 15% deviation, and cables might also vary in DC resistance. The important thing is that with a conforming source and cable, the eye pattern at the receiver will be within the defined limits, thus allowing correct recovery of the transmitted data. It is perhaps conceivable that a (poorly designed) DAC might be affected by noise carried, one way or another, over the USB cable and that differences in shielding or whatever between cable models might influence this. Even then, however, the descriptions of the effects (radically altered frequency response, etc) are entirely unreasonable. This suggests, to me, that the reported experiences are more likely imagined than the result of any real electrical differences.

Quoted for emphasis. 

I will additionally opine that different cables might lead to detectable differences with a poor DAC due to that noise.  And I'd bet on symphonic music as most susceptible.

We will never know w/o a listening test.

6 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Unless one holds Gordon Rankin in higher esteem than you and believes what he has to say. :)

this is why scientists do experiments

if you work solely on the basis of "esteem" you will find many many members holding carnival barkers in higher esteem than an expert and believing in what they say

3 hours ago, Allan F said:

Maybe you consider it arguing. I don't. Rather, it is a statement to objectivists like him that we who share our experiences neither need nor appreciate the continual snide remarks and demands for proof. As to @marce 's experience, it would make no difference if he was the co-author of Ohm's law. He has only two ears, the same as you and me. :)

I agree completely.  There is no way science and engineering can match your experiences

23 minutes ago, Allan F said:

While I am fully aware of the frailties of eyewitness testimony, most especially with regard to identification, I fail to see any parallel with focused, repeated and consistent audible observations. Far rarer "earwitness" testimony, usually related to voice identification, also has no parallels IMO as it is not based on observations made under similar conditions. One factor affecting voice identification is that the observation is often made while attention is divided between face and voice, thus reducing the reliability of both.

if you were to bother learning a bit about cognitive psychology, you would see the parallel