IGNORED

Double Blind Testing Prices All Power Cords Have An Effect On Audio!!!!!

5 hours ago, Paul R said:

Lighten up a bit Frank, you have certainly built an interesting way to get a wonderful sound system, but there *are* other ways, including just throwing enough money at it to get it right.  And "right" seems to be a very fluid target these days, but at the end of any given day, what makes you happy, what makes you smile, what your wife does not kill you over? All good stuff. 

-Paul 

Problem is what seem to be "right" in one particular day may seem to be wrong after certain period of time. Nothing stays and would not. That is why difference brought by any and every upgrade (expensive or not) is only temporary. One may be remarkably happy one day with the sound of the rig, as a result of elegant combination of food, wine, wife and news, the other day the same rig will sound bland and not involving with wrong combination of the same factors.

35 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Cultural differences perhaps are more important that we credit.

There is plenty of recent music I won't play because the bass is soooo overdone. If it was a steak I would nail it to the wall as warning to the other listeners. 

You can not make that sound good on any system on the planet. Unless you happen to like that kind of music of course. (I most emphatically do not.)  Well, perhaps a system without speakers or headphone outputs... the best sound from some of that music is quite literally silence

In any case, it is a live and let live world. I have got to hear some of your systems some day. :) 

-Paul 

Such recent music would play nicely on small portable or/and mobile systems.

38 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Cultural differences perhaps are more important that we credit.

[...]

Also, most (if not literally all) of recordings made in India, Africa, Caribbean or Middle East are below quality standards accepted by Western listeners. And it means nothing to the people of those parts of the world. They have lot of joy from their music and they do not depend from sound 'quality' issues.

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

There is an old saying; one with more than a modicum of truth to it. To wit: “The mind sees what it wants to see.” We can expand that bit of wisdom to say “The mind also HEARS what it wants to hear!”

You could add or remove an important change into the sound system, but the mind will hear what it hears anyway after very short adaptation period. What it used and expects to hear.

3 hours ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

I took a class in college called Light and Vision that explored this concept in full.

I understand. You have an idea you took the class. The moment this idea will vanish from you mind you will not know you took this class. If you stop knowing it will not be relevant anymore, did you or didn't you ever attend such a class.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

Post #162 says otherwise. Unless of course you believe that the DBTs demanded by most E.E.s are a useless tool, and that 6 separate  sessions, all positive, and not all having the same participants, with 8 repeats in each session are statistically worthless  !

This is MANY more than with the Mani and Mansr session , where many members believe that Mani DID hear differences.

BTW, this thread IS about Double Blind Testing, so my replies are not off topic

It is not difficult at all. I could imagine someone imagined he/she was present at certain sessions.