IGNORED

What's your kit for measuring room frequency response?

ipeverywhere

Question

My current set-up:

Room EQ Wizard (REW) + USB DAC for output + Blue Nessie (USB) microphone on a very low powered, but very portable, Windows 10 laptop. 

This is a pretty terrible setup and I'm looking for something better that can:

* Measure at the listening position (I don't need to measure individual drivers or at 0 degrees etc.)

* Full range analysis is important (20Hz - 20khz)

* Smoothing is perfectly fine even 1/3rd gives me what I need (I think, maybe?)

* Would like to continue to use the underpowered Windows 10 laptop (which requires USB into/out of the laptop as that's all it has)

* Need to replace both mic and output device as I don't trust the DAC I'm using to accurately produce a full range sweep (and I know that microphone is doing something funky as well)

* I have three primary things I'm trying to accomplish:

- Get left / right response as close as possible at listening position 

- Get low frequency response as flat as possible and matched to mains (I've got 2 subs in my system and I'm finding this is difficult to do by ear)

- Verify optimal placement of speakers and room treatments

Budget? Almost nothing. 

3 answers to this question

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Your DAC would be pretty strange if it didn't reproduce 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

I have short digital cables but plenty of long analog cables so I'm using a portable headphone dac/amp (output on the line level side/amp is turned off) at the laptop near the listening position (short USB / long RCA to pre-amp). DAC manual says -0.5dB across 4Hz~20Khz but I'm not sure I trust that. It's certainly reproducing full range but I don't trust it's a flat response so I fear I'm measuring the quality of the DAC. <shrug> 

Maybe I'll start with a calibrated microphone and see what results I get. Thanks for the quick suggestion.