Sign in to follow this  
ipeverywhere

What's your kit for measuring room frequency response?

Rate this question

Question

My current set-up:

Room EQ Wizard (REW) + USB DAC for output + Blue Nessie (USB) microphone on a very low powered, but very portable, Windows 10 laptop. 

This is a pretty terrible setup and I'm looking for something better that can:

* Measure at the listening position (I don't need to measure individual drivers or at 0 degrees etc.)

* Full range analysis is important (20Hz - 20khz)

* Smoothing is perfectly fine even 1/3rd gives me what I need (I think, maybe?)

* Would like to continue to use the underpowered Windows 10 laptop (which requires USB into/out of the laptop as that's all it has)

* Need to replace both mic and output device as I don't trust the DAC I'm using to accurately produce a full range sweep (and I know that microphone is doing something funky as well)

* I have three primary things I'm trying to accomplish:

- Get left / right response as close as possible at listening position 

- Get low frequency response as flat as possible and matched to mains (I've got 2 subs in my system and I'm finding this is difficult to do by ear)

- Verify optimal placement of speakers and room treatments

Budget? Almost nothing. 

3 answers to this question

I use REW with the miniDSP UMIK-1 USB Measurement Calibrated Microphone and output via USB from a laptop to any of the USB DACs in my system. 

Your DAC would be pretty strange if it didn't reproduce 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Your DAC would be pretty strange if it didn't reproduce 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

I have short digital cables but plenty of long analog cables so I'm using a portable headphone dac/amp (output on the line level side/amp is turned off) at the laptop near the listening position (short USB / long RCA to pre-amp). DAC manual says -0.5dB across 4Hz~20Khz but I'm not sure I trust that. It's certainly reproducing full range but I don't trust it's a flat response so I fear I'm measuring the quality of the DAC. <shrug> 

Maybe I'll start with a calibrated microphone and see what results I get. Thanks for the quick suggestion. 

I use REW with a UMIK-1 USB Microphone and optical output from a laptop to my DACs and it works perfectly to do measurments and corrections