The Computer Audiophile

Article: Editorial: What's Wrong With You?

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, Confused said:

maybe I will try swapping a few cables around, I'm still not sure if they make any difference... 

Luckily, trying them yourself provides the best results in figuring out if cables matter to you. 😉

My theory is that it is more about shielding than about the cables themselves, and that results differ much depending on the abundance of cable spaghetti, EM noise and the sensitivity of equipment used.

It is the only explanation I can come up with that explains why people have such different experiences and strong opinions about them.

Obviously this is debatable as well, so I'm already bracing for impact.

General Guidlines:

use Balanced components & interconnects - that will greatly reduce some types of noise

use well-designed components - that will reduce the effects of any noise

cross cables at 90 degrees & try to keep them away from each other

worry about conducted noise more than RFI

worry about circuit design more than noise injection

test using single or double blind, levels matched - that will eliminate the effects of confirmation bias (or just buy big phaat cables with a groovey lookin' design on them and be happy)

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

4 hours ago, Tin said:

My theory is that it is more about shielding than about the cables themselves, and that results differ much depending on the abundance of cable spaghetti, EM noise and the sensitivity of equipment used.

It is the only explanation I can come up with that explains why people have such different experiences and strong opinions about them.

Obviously this is debatable as well, so I'm already bracing for impact.

Even a positive one, :) ...

Cabling between the components I take terribly, terribly seriously; if I didn't, I would be stuck, always, with relatively mediocre sound - a less favourite outcome, for me, ^_^.

People get carried away with the impressiveness of blingy looking setups - and think this solves all problems ... ummm, no. You still have to do boring things like checking the tyre pressures in a Ferrari, just as much as for a Kia - in fact, some might say it's a touch more important with the fancy unit :).

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

use Balanced components & interconnects - that will greatly reduce some types of noise

I have read that plain RCA provides better S/N over (very) short distances. The writer being the chief engineer of a well known equipment brand.

So this general guideline is already debatable.

use well-designed components - that will reduce the effects of any noise

Well sure, but less-designed equipment will provide so much noise that you may not hear the contribution of cables.

So this guideline is debatable as well.

cross cables at 90 degrees & try to keep them away from each other

I agree full heartedly.

In my case, I have 14 RCAs, 9 power cables, a lot of speakercable, UTP, HDMI etc, so I have a severe shortage of 90 degree angles. Keeping them away from each other worked pretty well, considering the challenge.

worry about conducted noise more than RFI

With my setup, and all the cables, RFI is more of an issue. The quality of components is high enough not having to worry, much, about conducted noise.

Once again, debatable. 😊

worry about circuit design more than noise

Again this depends on the reality you live in, but as a general guideline, sure.

test using single or double blind, levels matched - that will eliminate the effects of confirmation bias (or just buy big phaat cables with a groovey lookin' design on them and be happy)

I can't debate either, being happy being the most important. A lot of people are unhappy and start projecting their misery on the equipment of others.

Edited by Tin
visuals

10 hours ago, fas42 said:

People get carried away with the impressiveness of blingy looking setups - and think this solves all problems ... 

That sounds like a generalisation.

Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, sPS-500, SOtM modified switch, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.

18 minutes ago, Confused said:

That sounds like a generalisation.

I think you're Confused. 😇

It is more than a generalisation. Most of our history and all but a few cultures revolve around the collection and exchange of shiny objects.

We have several senses and to me it seems weird to deny one sense when feeding another.

So, enjoy the comfort of your room and favourite chair, the way your equipment looks, your favourite music, while drinking your favourite beverage.

It's a hobby, it should be enjoyable me thinks.

Living life is a hobby, it should be enjoyed.

It is a right to be alive and respect life.

Everything that is good is good to protect. 

Everything that is bad is bad to protect.

Knowing the difference between good and bad is this life's hobby.

Doing good is doing right, doing right is respect life.

Enjoy the music when played, spinned, sang, rolling, living the hell out of good. 

Where did you "read that plain RCA provides better S/N over (very) short distances. The writer being the chief engineer of a well known equipment brand."

I'd like to see his analysis

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Where did you "read that plain RCA provides better S/N over (very) short distances. The writer being the chief engineer of a well known equipment brand."

Maybe Chord? https://www.chord.co.uk/xlr-vs-rca/

Counter argument from Benchmark: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/balanced-vs-unbalanced-analog-interfaces

Thx - Chord just cites their experience.  I'd like to find out why mechanistically.

41 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I'd like to see his analysis

It was Linn, in a discussion on their forums, but as they closed everything down I can't find the discussion anymore.

I also can't remember at which distance balanced gets the edge.

Anyway, my point was that it is debatable, which is what is happening.

11 hours ago, Tin said:

We have several senses and to me it seems weird to deny one sense when feeding another.

So, enjoy the comfort of your room and favourite chair, the way your equipment looks, your favourite music, while drinking your favourite beverage.

It's a hobby, it should be enjoyable me thinks.

Well, an approach that could work would be extremely blingy, "fake" gear in front of you, which makes zero sounds - behind it, an acoustically transparent curtain immediately in front of some ugly, utilitarian audio setup - that delivers the actual, convincing sound ... both senses are now happy, ^_^ ... probably highly cost effective, too. Sorta reminds me of those Porsche body kits that people drop on top of good ol' VW chasses ...

Yes, everyone is entitled to fun whichever way they want ... you could say, as one alternative, "Some people don't use their equipment to listen to music. Some people use music to listen to their equipment." ... hmmm, that feels strangely familiar ...

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

5 hours ago, fas42 said:

Yes, everyone is entitled to fun whichever way they want ... you could say, as one alternative, "Some people don't use their equipment to listen to music. Some people use music to listen to their equipment." ... hmmm, that feels strangely familiar ...

I'm sure it does, but you can listen to your equipment all you want, and it's nobodys business but yours.

You should seriously read the editorial above this thread and lighten the hell up.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:44 AM, fas42 said:

Be as light as you, IOW?

No, I don't consider myself to be The Measure Of All Things.

That's actually all there is to it.

I have shamelessly stolen this from HiFiCritic's twitter feed.  However, it is BBC achieve so you could argue that I have helped pay for it, or at least my parents did....

From 1959, a full 60 years ago, and not much has changed.

Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, sPS-500, SOtM modified switch, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.