IGNORED

Article: Editorial: What's Wrong With You?

13 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

what we really need is a magazine that tells us whether super expansive gear is really better in SQ or is just a Robb Report exercise in Thorstein Veblin's Theory of the Leisure Class...

Wouldn't matter to me, one way or another as I could never afford expensive audio much less super expensive audio.

Even if I were a millionaire I would still be thrifty and want a good value for my dollar.

I no longer subscribe to The Absolute Sound or Stereophile magazines but when I did I never read reviews of equipment that cost over $1k. I mostly read the letters to the editor, the interviews, the ads and the music reviews. I canceled both because they are more about equipment rather than music. In the early days (1970's - 1980's) The Absolute Sound had a lot of music coverage, including not just reviews but interviews of recording engineers and producers. They even had an entire issue on RCA Living Stereo shaded dogs. The Absolute Sound does still have the Super Disc Lists and more music reviews than Stereophile, but still not enough for me to continue subscribing. There is minimal coverage of the audiophile labels I prefer.

I would subscribe to a magazine that covers the audiophile labels I love (there are over 100 of them, with perhaps 10,000 or more audiophile recordings available as SACDs, CDs and high resolution downloads) You can double that if one includes audiophile LPs. I rely on label samplers and the 30 second to 1 minute streaming samples from the sites that sell them. There are way more than I can purchase so it would be nice to read reviews of ones that I have overlooked in the narrowing down process that perhaps I should not have overlooked.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

ok, I'll describe a friend who has it all together

He's an ER doc, his wife is a dentist - so very high income; DI-NK

- they drink wine, but neither one cares about expensive wine - they can taste the difference from a $100 bottle to a $500 bottle but they do not care -- it is unimportant to them

- they listen to music & can hear an expensive HFi setup produce different sound from their modest one; again they just don't care

so the value assigned to each "factor loading score" is low

and they are happy people

On 4/22/2019 at 3:53 PM, Jud said:

I'd like to see more of that too, but so far in the US no one seems to have made more than a token effort to run an audio magazine along these lines. That says to me there is at least a possibility they found it didn't sell very well when they tried.

I stop buying audio magazines a long time ago. Too much of everything sounds great nonsense. Instead I mostly read online impressions and forums like this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not interested in your inane chatter. Take it to PM.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

6 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

He's probably smarter than me too.

Someone doesn't like this conversation.

I dunno - we could put you both thru an IQ test - it could be biased to audio and give you an edge...

I forgot to ask him today what kind of audio system he has on his scooter.

Funny how people can't find the big ignore button, or post something to get things on track.  At least we are keeping this thread alive.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I dunno - we could put you both thru an IQ test - it could be biased to audio and give you an edge...

I forgot to ask him today what kind of audio system he has on his scooter.

Funny how people can't find the big ignore button, or post something to get things on track.  At least we are keeping this thread alive.

I'd ask what's wrong with you but I am afraid the list would be too long...

No electron left behind.