IGNORED

Which DIY power cable?

One and a half

Question

For a new DAC, the cable length is 4m. The cable runs in parallel with a multitude of signal screened cables to a power distributor. Not worried about steady induction/magnetic field too much but the possibility of voltage spike and causing that splat noise through the speaker I wish to avoid.

I have several shorter cables, but the IEC male connector physically can accept IIRC 6mm diameter, screened 12 AWG is something doubling that. Cannot join a flexible cord, it’s illegal. Using another power strip breaks the continuity of the shield and is another point of failure and connection point.

All other power cables are screened, so this new one won’t be any different.

As for brands, Furutech make a great 12 AWG cable, the local distributor needs to buy a 100m reel, unless the demand is there, not going to stock. Tried a foreign country seller, and regretfully cannot supply when the payment is in another country’s currency, even PayPal.

There’s industrial cable to buy, but minimum length is 30m and close to $1200 for the reel plus shipping 20kg. 

Its possible for me to buy Sonic cables, their SPC is 10g, red and $40/ft. The smaller diameter cables are plain copper, where I live, copper oxidises , so prefer the SPC , that doesn’t tarnish.

The plugs and sockets already have, Oyaide C-079 and P-079e, which can accept a cable to 17mm diameter, apart from the fitting off, that is OK.

Does anyone know of a DIY bulk cable available in short lengths, 12AWG, rated for 600V, SPC and screened. Delivery point is FL USA.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

13 answers to this question

21 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Hey '1.5' I didn't know that you were in Florida.

Belden makes at least two shielded/screened bulk AC power cords.

Belden #19364 and 83803.

thanks for the tips here, had a look:

19364 has the al foil, although it's 100% cover, I'm not sure it can stand up as a flexible cable without the foil breaking.

83803 has no green/yellow conductor.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/wire-cable-non-terminated.html

Not sure what shipping would run you due to the weight, but usually isn't too bad to here in New England.  They are having a sale this month on some cable variants.  You could always order 100% braid and some shrink tube, and use bulk SPC rather than a complete assembly.  Depends on how hands on you want to get, everything should assemble solderless.

17 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

The cableco was the supplier I turned to first. The order was for a Furutech Schuko distribution unit and the cable, both items were purchased some time ago. The Furutech distributors would not have a bar of the schuko unit, nor the cable to be delivered in another country where Furutech was sold. 

So missed out on cableco and also local distributor who won’t stock the cable.

As they say, back to square one.

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

The cableco was the supplier I turned to first. The order was for a Furutech Schuko distribution unit and the cable, both items were purchased some time ago. The Furutech distributors would not have a bar of the schuko unit, nor the cable to be delivered in another country where Furutech was sold. 

So missed out on cableco and also local distributor who won’t stock the cable.

As they say, back to square one.

I can not understand, sorry. You want 4 m Furutech bulk cable delivered to FL and Cableco refuse to sell it? 

On 4/9/2019 at 2:37 AM, One and a half said:

Does anyone know of a DIY bulk cable available in short lengths, 12AWG, rated for 600V, SPC and screened. Delivery point is FL USA.

http://www.jenving.com/products/view/lorad-3x2.5-blue-b50-3004000026

Maybe search for a Supra cable ?

U.S.A.

SJÖFN HIFI
1020 E. John st., Suite 101 
Seattle, WA 98102
Tel: +1-206-605.8590
18 hours ago, R1200CL said:

http://www.jenving.com/products/view/lorad-3x2.5-blue-b50-3004000026

Maybe search for a Supra cable ?

U.S.A.

SJÖFN HIFI
1020 E. John st., Suite 101 
Seattle, WA 98102
Tel: +1-206-605.8590

I have purchased The Lo-Rad cable from your goodselves, quite some time ago now. The Lo-Rad has copper cable which tarnishes in high humidity regions and I can't use it for audio apps.  The insulation is not very easy to strip, tends to stretch using stripping tools.

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

Furutech USA will not supply the parts to Cableco. Different story. It also involves a Euro AC power strip as part of the order. Neither will be supplied by Furutech USA.

Does it mean CableCo will not sell 4 meters bulk Furutech cable contrary to what stated on their website? Sorry for being insistent but here is something what I am trying to grasp.