IGNORED

LPSU choices, new contender.....

12 hours ago, jabbr said:

You don’t need to be an EE or have a degree, rather the ability to read & understand basic physics. Basic. I am not talking about qualifications nor appealing to authority, rather referencing the shared understanding about electronics. Try Khan Academy — it’s terrific.

Well, how does your " Basic Physics" explain the attached ?

These new  "screen grabs"  are from the 2nd and the 6th separate session with my L.O.G files with Martin Colloms.

ALL 6 sessions were POSITIVE !

Not that I expect the usual suspects to accept the results of a series of 6 correctly performed  "Gold Standard" DBTs by a well qualified fellow E.E. UNLESS they agree with what they expect they should be !

As I previously mentioned, Eloise became a HFC Forum member so she could ask Martin how the tests were performed and appeared to be happy with his explanation.

Note also that E.E. John Dyson also recently gave a detailed report of the differences he heard with my supplied comparison files, then freaked out and retracted his findings when he was told that the files had identical .md5 checksums.

He then blamed his hearing , even though his reports were 100% in agreement with the differences that I hear myself.  

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/page/540/  Reply #13491

I will not be further responding to the usual "know-it-alls" in this thread.

I will let the silent majority of members decide for themselves.

I would hope that Chris will now lock this thread, as nobody from the Objective side is ever likely to change their stance .

HFC - 6th Session.jpg

Kethel ripping results second session.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Well, how does your " Basic Physics" explain the attached ?

You are now changing the topic. My claim is that it is possible to scrub any noise from a digital stream down below an arbitrary level. 

I’ve also said that sending such a stream across, for example, my own fiberoptic Ethernet segment will remove any such noise on the source and eliminates source effects. 

I also suspect that, for example, new products such as Sonore’s opticalRendu will also be impervious to the original source stream. 

These are specific setups that other readers can test for themselves so no one needs to take what I say at face value.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

31 minutes ago, jabbr said:

You are now changing the topic. My claim is that it is possible to scrub any noise from a digital stream down below an arbitrary level. 

I’ve also said that sending such a stream across, for example, my own fiberoptic Ethernet segment will remove any such noise on the source and eliminates source effects. 

I also suspect that, for example, new products such as Sonore’s opticalRendu will also be impervious to the original source stream. 

These are specific setups that other readers can test for themselves so no one needs to take what I say at face value.

My reply wasn't just aimed at you, and it was not changing the topic as you have had numerous shots at me recently.

it was mainly directed at Ralf11 who seems hell bent on provoking me in order to silence me.

Your claim is still unsubstantiated and should be verified by the same means that you demand of others.

You may be able to " scrub" the noise , but that does NOT mean that the file will necessarily sound exactly the same as the original.

Yes, you are Regenerating the files with what you are doing .

The only thing that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING an A or V file to CLOSE to that of the original. How an Audio file will sound , or a Video look, is governed mainly by the PSU area and how electrically quiet the computer is.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

Your claim is still unsubstantiated and should be verified by the same means that you demand of others.

You may be able to " scrub" the noise , but that does NOT mean that the file will necessarily sound exactly the same as the original.

Yes, you are Regenerating the files with what you are doing .

There you go twisting things again. Did I mention files? I used the term digital stream, you really really just don’t get it. do you? The fact that we are communicating despite the fact that you are upside down is all the substantiation Needed.

6 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Did I mention files? I used the term digital stream

So what ? They started out as files, whether they were saved locally or streamed !

4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

(Someone please remind me again: Does water spiral down really spiral down the drain in the opposite direction in Australia?)

Yes it does in the Southern Hemisphere.

9 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Did I mention files? I used the term digital stream,

So what? They started out as files , whether stored locally, or Streamed from a remote server on request , and your claims are STILL unsubstantiated, and Anecdotal ONLY.

There is no rule for E.E.s and another one for everybody else.

Just now, sandyk said:

So what? They started out as files , whether stored locally, or Streamed from a remote server on request ,

No “they” started out as audio whether digitally sampled and transmitted as streams or to memory 

Just now, sandyk said:

and your claims are STILL unsubstantiated, and Anecdotal ONLY.

There is no rule for E.E.s and another one for everybody else.

Tee hee hee what’s an EE? Shannon and Nyquist sitting a tree... 

19 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Now that's funny! :D

(Someone please remind me again: Does water spiral down really spiral down the drain in the opposite direction in Australia?) 

Yes it does in the Southern Hemisphere.

4 minutes ago, jabbr said:

No “they” started out as audio whether digitally sampled and transmitted as streams or to memory 

Tee hee hee what’s an EE? Shannon and Nyquist sitting a tree... 

Unless you can prove your claims by way of DBTs as I had to do, then your claims are no more than  anecdotal, no matter whether you are a qualified E.E. or  an Audiophile without a background in Electronics. 

BYE !

23 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Unless you can prove your claims by way of DBTs as I had to do, then your claims are no more than  anecdotal, no matter whether you are a qualified E.E. or  an Audiophile without a background in Electronics. 

BYE !

Tee hee hee. What’s a “DBT”? Instead of double blind, you are doing double deaf tests, Tommy!

Back to our regularly scheduled permathreads after a note from our sponsors ...

52 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

This was a thread about LPSU choices. You bring in your off topic file comparison stuff for about the thousandth time, wreck the thread and ask for it to be locked.

I said this in post 287 on page 12 and also repeated similar later :
 "This is off topic and should be discussed elsewhere or via PMs "
but several members, including Kumakuma and Ralf11, wouldn't let it go.

29 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I said this in post 287 on page 12 and also repeated similar later :
 "This is off topic and should be discussed elsewhere or via PMs "
but several members, including Kumakuma and Ralf11, wouldn't let it go.

I've no idea why you didn't follow your own advice then, and stick to the topic of LPSU choices.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

On 4/19/2019 at 12:17 AM, sandyk said:

An  earlier Marantz CD65 CD player that I had for many years ,had the ladder resistors replaced by 1% through hole types.

The removed Surface Mount resistors in many cases varied by quite a bit more than 10% when measured. :o

You can get 0.1% SMD these days, 90's technology is dated. Yawn.

7 minutes ago, marce said:

I am aware of that.

I would be surprised if too many manufacturers used them though due to cost.

SMD isn't that bad in terms of cost.  1% tol and lower is pretty common these days.  Don't even need SMD for that precision.  I used .1% RCD thru hole resistors in my tube head amp power supply and love them.

Cost on the other hand, several dollars each, SMD would be a fraction of that.  You can find wholesaler deals if you are patient and good at hunting though, military contracts lose funding and liquidate assets all the time.

15 minutes ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

SMD isn't that bad in terms of cost.  1% tol and lower is pretty common these days.  Don't even need SMD for that precision.  I used .1% RCD thru hole resistors in my tube head amp power supply and love them.

Cost on the other hand, several dollars each, SMD would be a fraction of that.  You can find wholesaler deals if you are patient and good at hunting though, military contracts lose funding and liquidate assets all the time.

1% thick film SMD resistors cost as little as a few dollars for a reel of 5000. Thin film is more expensive but only needed where the cheaper types are too noisy.

17 hours ago, marce said:

Yeah of course the 0.01% metal film SMD resistors are a bit pricey ($15) in small volumes: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Precision-Group-Foil-Resistors/Y16245K00000T9R?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutyvjUqez%2F3ScD3w29bKsRxOtdNkkiL6Y%3D

but 0.1% thick film are roughly $0.25

16 hours ago, Monge said:

What Is your opinion on the design of

http://www.faradpowersupplies.com/

and the new BOTW P&P ECO mk. 2

https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco/

Thanks In advance.

The first one has no details regarding its operation, though a read through the blurb gives us a hint:

"resulting in a very stable and clean, battery like, power input for the final low" 

and in the Q&A, it mentions the supercaps are being used as a filter bank, with a following regulator, a LPS with step down transformer front end. perhaps.

The second, well they use audiophile and audio grade often enough so it should be good... the bespoke fixed cable with a great lump on the end tickles my EMC senses a bit, as does the general purpose plastic case, interchangeable cable ends and other hints to a mass produced generic PSU.

Without any figures or measurements who can tell though.