IGNORED

LPSU choices, new contender.....

22 hours ago, 4est said:

Although I do not disagree with these statement, I do not see how this is apropos through the meter long cable from this external power supply to the load. This seems especially true considering that not only are we fighting the lead network IRL, but that there is likely some sort of regulation between this power supply and the load as per your example. Perhaps I am daft, but it would seem to me that an external power supply cannot react at these frequencies. I am sure you know way more than I, and I'd like to understand. Perhaps you are speaking in generalization?

The final power supply is to slow to react to the instantaneous current requirements of digital switching, hence the local capacitance and reservoir caps as I mention.

17 minutes ago, jaaptina said:

Not having the knowledge but thinking from this point. Is there a point in having a power supply, (long) cable, MPAudio SD-HPULN LT3045 dc-dc converter, very short cable, dac/streamer configuration? 

Shorter the better, inductance slows current delivery down, on PCB's for longish supply runs (not power planes) such as 24V to an section of circuitry the supplies are run as broadside coupled traces on multiple layers, so you have power, return, power, return, it gives a low inductance relatively high capacitance feed similar to bus bar routing for high power.

2 minutes ago, jabbr said:

It depends on what is being supplied, but if tighter regulation is helpful then yes. This is called a “pre regulator” and the design pattern might be to step down a supply and allow LDO which reduces the heat generated in the final board. In other cases on board LT3045s might be cascaded to generate the full complement of needed voltages. On board is best.

The general rule is main supply, which often depends on the final location for the design, then main onboard supplies, usually SMPS to keep heat generation down to provide the required main voltages, usually 3V3, 5V, +/-6-12V for analogue, then local LDO's for the device local supplies such as 2.5V, 1.8V, some FPGA's having up to 5 separate supplies, core, I/O, PLL's etc.

26 minutes ago, Tomslin said:

Thank you for your clarification 😃

Although I don't quite agree with these "old truths". They allow certain grade of modification, imo.

A hint for you can be; don't trust people who claim they know and understand better than you do 😉

Another link at the subject:

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4652

I work on very high level of designs every day and have done for 35 years, I am talking stuff that goes in space, steerable phase array microwave antennas, mill stuff such as communications, missile launchers, medical stuff, working on some cool stuff now, 4 x 24 bit DACS, 8X16 bit DACS some fed by ADA4530 so I have metal cans over the analogue circuitry dual floating supplies on the rear of the board and guard tracks all round the analogue signals... So the information I have comes from instrumentation level design and layout, we know it works because it has to...

18 minutes ago, Jud said:

Since he designs circuit boards for mission critical digital equipment for a living, perhaps he has developed some sense of who to trust with regard to particular aspects of battery power supply design.

Cheers Jud. Not just battery supplies, I started a list of all power supplies I have worked on, lots over the years, from 35kV supplies down to low current on board LDO's, SMPS's, LPS's, supplies with batteries and integral chargers... supplies with big batteries, little batteries, invertors, lots of interesting stuff, always remember the first mainframe supplies, emitter coupled 2n3055 by their hundreds in a 1U tray to get the current, the good old days. LOL

10 hours ago, sandyk said:

A high quality battery supply (LiPo etc.) is normally better at preserving a neutral sounding presentation,
 but the main problem is that the voltage reduces slowly with use, and then may vary considerably under different load conditions, even generating audible noise.
Most devices however, require a stable input voltage for the highest consistent performance.
 The only way around this is to use voltage regulation. Unfortunately, the type of voltage regulator used ,
 and the necessary capacitors used with it for stability reasons mainly, usually imparts some kind of audible footprint.

This is more important with the Analogue area than the Digital areas that Marce mainly  plays around in where you can  use well established HF bypass techniques etc.

If you read my posts I don't do just digital, I do a mixture, analogue/digital, microwave. As siad doing a card now with multiple ADC/DAC with lots of analogue circuitry. I do more mixed designs than I do purely digital designs. I do a lot of instrumentation level analogue layout...

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

But what are you using in  your own Audio system, not instrumentation etc.?

It is a generalisation, how do capacitors in the PSU have an effect on the resultant analogue output, and if they do it will be measurable...

There will be voltage regulators on the cards, you wont be bypassing those I presume!

Depending on the digital circuit the instantaneous current requirements when the circuitry switches can be up to 100A, even small circuitry have high current demand when switching, that,s why the whole power delivery system is critical. Even more so on digital/analogue designs. The most important components in the power delivery system are those very small (0402 preferable) decoupling capacitors right next to the power pins and how they are tracked to the pins and power planes.

Whatever front end power you use must be within the requirements of the circuit its feeding and avoid voltage droop at all costs.

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

I was asking what actual equipment you are using in your own Audio system.

Still using something like a SBT ,without even a decent Linear PSU such as designed by John Swenson and used by numerous DIY Audio members ?

Fender Jazz bass, Fender 200W rumble amp.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

We all might wish for a little more cross-fertilization.  Would be interesting to see what marce thought of Pavel's implementation of Miska's DSC-1, for example, since that's hardware without proprietary IP in the way.

Pavel from DIYA?

Got a link...

10 hours ago, Jud said:

We all might wish for a little more cross-fertilization.  Would be interesting to see what marce thought of Pavel's implementation of Miska's DSC-1, for example, since that's hardware without proprietary IP in the way.

Found it, its the Ladder DAC. Will have a look, my initial comment would be that I would use resistor packs with matched resistors, easier assembly, thermally connected resistors etc.