IGNORED

Electrically isolate your network, idea/suggestion/solution

hi i'm new.

Visited here as a guest and seen a few members commenting on the FMC way to isolate noise from a system. Members are saying that the second FMC is the problem because it comes after the optical cables and injects noise from it's own PSU back into the system - correct me if I am wrong?

What I thought of is to plug a pink faun LAN isolator right into the FMC RJ45 output socket, and then plug your LAN cable into that unit. To solve the issue.

Hope that helps.

https://www.pinkfaun.com/index.php/pink-faun-lan-isolator-rj45.html

Hi activist38, A new website is in the making for Pink Faun, so the link in your post is not active anymore. here's a photo and some more information about the LAN isolator:

The Pink Faun LAN isolator provides galvanic isolation between the device that is connected to the network and the network itself. This without loss of speed. Even devices that play from an internal HDD and only use the network for operating and updating the firmware benefit from the LAN isolator.

A network cable from the media player connected to an active modem/switch is a transmission hatch for high-frequency noise. With normal computer use such as e-mailing or surfing the internet, the high-frequency noise has no influence on the user experience. However, high-frequency noise that enters directly into the digital audio device through LAN is very undesirable. This influences purity in the high, which causes the space information to become blurred. The Pink Faun LAN isolator will ensure that the sound is less smudged, making details more audible, providing a better soundstage and a black background which in turn increases the dynamics in an audio system.

The Pink Faun LAN isolator can be used on any audio device connected to a LAN network, even when the network is not used to stream music. Once the audio device has been assigned with an IP address and is active, the LAN isolator has a positive effect on the overall sound quality.

Pink Faun LAN isolator.jpg

€179???? Snake oil of the highest order if you ask me.....

#1 Music: AIFF -> WD Caviar Black 2Tb -> OWC Mercury Elite AL-Pro -> Locus Design Polestar -> Mach2 Music server -> OS X 10.6 -> Fidelia -> LAConvolver -> Audiolense FIR filter -> MBS FW800/400 -> Metric Halo LIO-8 -> Vovox sonorus muco S8 -> Supra Sword IXLR -> Bryston 28B-SST2 -> Supra Sword -> Vienna Acoustics Mahler mkII. Accessories: Exact Power EP15 UK, PS Audio Quintet EU, VH Audio Airsine, Furutech FP-3TS20/FI-E35/FI-25/Fi-1363/fuses, Nordost Vishnu/TI pulsar points, Finite Elemente Cerapucs, GIK Acoustics 244/Monster/Tri traps etc.[br]#2 Movies: MKV -> Areca RAID6 server -> CAT6 -> 2 x Devolo AV200 -> CAT6 -> Mach2 Music Server -> Windows 7 Ultimate -> TotalMedia Theatre 5 -> Plogue Bidule -> ConvolverVST -> RME FF800 -> 2 x Silflex Glass Optical (ADAT) -> RME ADI-192 DD -> VOVOX mucolink direct SD -> LIO-8 -> Vovox sonorus muco S8 -> Supra Sword IXLR -> 2 x Bryston 28B-SST2 (L+R), 1 x Bryston 7B-SST2 ©, 4 x B&O ICEpower 1000ASP DIY (surround) -> 2 x VA Mahler mkII (L+R), 1 x Oratorio (center), 4 x Waltz Grand (surround), Velodyne HGS-18 (sub). Accessories: DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033, Auralex Gramma. [br]#3 Headphones: Nexus Psile (VIA based w/CF card) -> M2Tech hiFace -> Stereovox XV Ultra -> Audio-GD REF 5 w/modded connectors -> DIY ACSS cable w/UniCrystal OCC silver & LEMO -> Audio-GD Phoenix w/modded connectors-> APureSound v3 -> HD800. Accessories: PS Audio Quintet US, Neotech NEP-3001, Belden 83803, Furutech F-11, IsoNodes etc.

11 minutes ago, NiToNi said:

€179???? Snake oil of the highest order if you ask me.....

Nobody is asking you.

But just for laughter what is the 🐍 oil part?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

For someone who has been here for five days you sure are stomping around with some authority both in this thread and others. How about if you hang out for a little bit to get the feel of the place before you dive in and instruct everyone on how you want them to post? 

this really isn't helpful! How does this relate to the topic, i.e the  PF LAN Isolator please? Take care.

1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

For someone who has been here for five days you sure are stomping around with some authority both in this thread and others. How about if you hang out for a little bit to get the feel of the place before you dive in and instruct everyone on how you want them to post? 

He's (rightfully) keeping the posts on track, and the unreasonable and unreasonably speculative, troll posts,  OUT...

I think the journey for most people was:

Level 0: cheap ethernet cable

Level 1: fancy network cable (a la Audioquest Carbon)

Level 2a: network isolator (Baaske, pink faun, others)

Level 2b: 2 optical/FMCs, wall wart

Level 3: replace wall wart with BOTWS/stabilized/ultracaps power.

You can add 2a to 2b but I think general consensus is that level 3 gives better results. And then we have level 4: opticalRendu/specialized network hub/etherRendu/SoTM stuff which is very new/not delivered or compared yet.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:26 AM, Pink Faun said:

The Pink Faun LAN isolator provides galvanic isolation between the device that is connected to the network and the network itself. This without loss of speed. Even devices that play from an internal HDD and only use the network for operating and updating the firmware benefit from the LAN isolator.

Ethernet RJ-45 specifies galvanic isolation, so how is this different? The obvious answer would be that it reduces common mode noise transmission. Does it?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

10 minutes ago, esmit said:

You can add 2a to 2b but I think general consensus is that level 3 gives better results. And then we have level 4: opticalRendu/specialized network hub/etherRendu/SoTM stuff which is very new/not delivered or compared yet.

yes, and lets not forget the uptone ether-regen, coming soon to a street near you! (LOL).

41 minutes ago, esmit said:

Guilty as charged, even with full EE education. 😁

In my case 2a is an EMO Systems EN-70HD isolator.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

FYI - Of course @activist38 is @valveboy and @the_doc735 . All now banned. 

😂😂😂 my early warning system went off ... @Jud had a great question about DIY SMD, so I hope folks liked the off topic redirection 😂😂😂

... oh wait that was the other thread 🙄 I’m still waiting to hear what the isolator does that the Ethernet transformers don’t 🤷🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, mansr said:

That widget looks like it probably is an Ethernet transformer.

Oh right. As I suggested it might improve the common mode rejection, which is expressed as a common mode rejection ratio (CMRR). It is known that transformers aka common mode chokes   do this: http://52ebad10ee97eea25d5e-d7d40819259e7d3022d9ad53e3694148.r84.cf3.rackcdn.com/Acal-BFi-Laird-App-Note-1.pdf 

It would be helpful for manufacturers such as Pink Faun to provide CMRR values so that products can be reasonably compared.

6 hours ago, mansr said:

That widget looks like it probably is an Ethernet transformer.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Oh right. As I suggested it might improve the common mode rejection, which is expressed as a common mode rejection ratio (CMRR). It is known that transformers aka common mode chokes do this: http://52ebad10ee97eea25d5e-d7d40819259e7d3022d9ad53e3694148.r84.cf3.rackcdn.com/Acal-BFi-Laird-App-Note-1.pdf 

It would be helpful for manufacturers such as Pink Faun to provide CMRR values so that products can be reasonably compared.

Yup, just as every Ethernet jack in the world has a set of coils/"transformers."  The really nice (more expensive) ones can have as many as 12 cores per port:

2134327667_12-coreENtrans.jpg.eb04997dbf908d2c70cf234695c9982e.jpg

Of course this is not the same as actually putting the signals though differential digital isolators and flip-flop with separate clocking and power domains (the key uniqueness of our forthcoming product). B|

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Yup, just as every Ethernet jack in the world has a set of coils/"transformers."  The really nice (more expensive) ones can have as many as 12 cores per port:

2134327667_12-coreENtrans.jpg.eb04997dbf908d2c70cf234695c9982e.jpg

Of course this is not the same as actually putting the signals though differential digital isolators and flip-flop with separate clocking and power domains (the key uniqueness of our forthcoming product). B|

As you point out correctly all ethernet equipment has to include a certain level of galvanic isolation from the cable. But as you also point out there’re differences between the transformers used (the more expensive ones). Mostly used ethernet ports has integrated transformers in a very small space. With discrete ethernet transformer (like the LAN isolator) there’s less crosstalk and we can choosing modules with better common mode rejection figures than the integrated connector module.