IGNORED

USBridge+DietPi: DAC issue: Soekris 1101 USB DAC

Hi!

I got a new USBridge with DietPi, my intention is to use Squeezelite.

My DAC is a Soekris 1101 USB DAC.

I connect the DAC and power it on. It shows the 44khz - led while it waits for the source to connect.

Then I power on USBBridge and wait until it boots up.

The result is, that I don't get any sound at all:

Squeezelite is "enabled" (which is a sign that somehow it recognizes that a DAC is connected, because without the DAC connected, Squeezelite stays "disabled"). However, Squeezelite refuses to play tracks.

Prior to buy the USBridge, I got myself a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and I installed PiCorePlayer in order to try out the compatibility of my DAC. It worked without problem. Given that I got it to work with a RPi, I thought I could buy a USBridge with no risk.

Even more so, as the DAC is natively supportet by Linux according to the manufacturor.

Some additional information:

The power should not be the problem, as I connect the DAC through a device that cuts the USB power supply from USBridge and adds power from a clean (linear) source. If I connect the DAC directly, it does not power up (I suppose, USBridge does not deliver enough power). This setup works flawlessly with the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and PiCorePlayer pCP4.1.0.

While it boots, the 44khz-led switches off on the DAC. This is not a normal behaviour. Normaly, it remains on normally, or it switches to another value. This might indicate some issue on the communication between DAC und USBridge.

Any possible solution???

And: I suppose that PiCorePlayer would not work properly on a USBridge, supporting the clean USB-port? Or would it? If yes, this would possibly resolve the issue for me. And if yes, how to... I am not familiar with eMMC - flashing...

If it helps if I provide Log-Files or similar, please let me know how to get them, I am a complete newbie (I manage to SSH into DietPi  with putty, but I have no idea where and how to find the log-files).

THANKS INDEED in advance! Urs

23 hours ago, ursdiego said:

Hi!

I got a new USBridge with DietPi, my intention is to use Squeezelite.

My DAC is a Soekris 1101 USB DAC.

I connect the DAC and power it on. It shows the 44khz - led while it waits for the source to connect.

Then I power on USBBridge and wait until it boots up.

The result is, that I don't get any sound at all:

Squeezelite is "enabled" (which is a sign that somehow it recognizes that a DAC is connected, because without the DAC connected, Squeezelite stays "disabled"). However, Squeezelite refuses to play tracks.

Prior to buy the USBridge, I got myself a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and I installed PiCorePlayer in order to try out the compatibility of my DAC. It worked without problem. Given that I got it to work with a RPi, I thought I could buy a USBridge with no risk.

Even more so, as the DAC is natively supportet by Linux according to the manufacturor.

Some additional information:

The power should not be the problem, as I connect the DAC through a device that cuts the USB power supply from USBridge and adds power from a clean (linear) source. If I connect the DAC directly, it does not power up (I suppose, USBridge does not deliver enough power). This setup works flawlessly with the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and PiCorePlayer pCP4.1.0.

While it boots, the 44khz-led switches off on the DAC. This is not a normal behaviour. Normaly, it remains on normally, or it switches to another value. This might indicate some issue on the communication between DAC und USBridge.

Any possible solution???

And: I suppose that PiCorePlayer would not work properly on a USBridge, supporting the clean USB-port? Or would it? If yes, this would possibly resolve the issue for me. And if yes, how to... I am not familiar with eMMC - flashing...

If it helps if I provide Log-Files or similar, please let me know how to get them, I am a complete newbie (I manage to SSH into DietPi  with putty, but I have no idea where and how to find the log-files).

THANKS INDEED in advance! Urs

Dietpi Allo web GUI  squeezelite settings try with 24bit or 24_3

as per DAC spec supports 24/384k

share the results cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0  results to know the supporting bit/sample rates.

Allo.com Tech. Support

Hi! Thanks for your help. I triend 24 and 24_3, same result. Here is the outcome:

First what strikes me: ssh tells me:
XMOS Soekris dac1101 USB Audio 2.0 at usb-aotg_hcd.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Why "

usb-aotg_hcd.1-1.1, high speed"??? In Allo-Web-Interface "Sound Card" is set to USB (not USB 1.1!), and Soekris is set to "USB Audio 2.0".

Here is all the SSH output as set to 24_3, see txt-file attached to this message

190409_SSH_output_for_24_3.txt

22 minutes ago, ursdiego said:

Hi! Thanks for your help. I triend 24 and 24_3, same result. Here is the outcome:

First what strikes me: ssh tells me:
XMOS Soekris dac1101 USB Audio 2.0 at usb-aotg_hcd.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Why "

usb-aotg_hcd.1-1.1, high speed"??? In Allo-Web-Interface "Sound Card" is set to USB (not USB 1.1!), and Soekris is set to "USB Audio 2.0".

Here is all the SSH output as set to 24_3, see txt-file attached to this message

190409_SSH_output_for_24_3.txt 5.2 kB · 0 downloads

Yes detected as USB 2.0 only ,

DAC supports 16bit and 32bit , not 24 or 24_3

so squeezelite settings for 32 bit ,  DSD native u32be.

Allo.com Tech. Support

Thanks for this fast reply! I will try as soon as I am back home.

However, juste two questions in order to understand:

If I select DSD (as you suggest), is the signal then converted to DSD?  Or does it remain PCM (important, I want it to be processed as native PCM if possible, not as DSD, because I suppose that this would include unnecessary conversions of the signal that I want to avoid, as my DAC is a multibit design, and all the music I have stored is PCM).

The specifications of my dac soekris 1101 say:

USB Input     Type B, Isolated, Full/High Speed
USB Input Mode Selectable     Audio Class 1.0 or Audio Class 2.0
USB Input PCM     Up to 24 Bit / 384 Ksps
USB Input DSD     Up to DoP-128 and DSD-256

32 bit is not mentionned, so I don't understand why you come to the conclusion that this Soekris-DAC 1101 supports 32 bit?

(PS: Of course, I select Audio Class 2.0 on the DAC.)

Thanks for your explenations!  Cheers! Urs

6 minutes ago, ursdiego said:

Thanks for this fast reply! I will try as soon as I am back home.

However, juste two questions in order to understand:

If I select DSD (as you suggest), is the signal then converted to DSD?  Or does it remain PCM (important, I want it to be processed as native PCM if possible, not as DSD, because I suppose that this would include unnecessary conversions of the signal that I want to avoid, as my DAC is a multibit design, and all the music I have stored is PCM).

The specifications of my dac soekris 1101 say:

USB Input     Type B, Isolated, Full/High Speed
USB Input Mode Selectable     Audio Class 1.0 or Audio Class 2.0
USB Input PCM     Up to 24 Bit / 384 Ksps
USB Input DSD     Up to DoP-128 and DSD-256

32 bit is not mentionned, so I don't understand why you come to the conclusion that this Soekris-DAC 1101 supports 32 bit?

(PS: Of course, I select Audio Class 2.0 on the DAC.)

Thanks for your explenations!  Cheers! Urs

No it will not convert PCM to DSD , pcm as PCM , DSD files as DSD , not selected u32be then all files as PCM.

the ssh results shows the supporting bit rates are 16  or 32 

Allo.com Tech. Support

Thank you indeed for this information, @ALLOsupport, I will try this later today if I get a chance, and I will post the results. What I see is that ssh shows also "Altset 2" and "S16_LE" - I tried with 16bit - setting in squeezelite with no success either. Anyway, I try again tonight if possible.

10 hours ago, ursdiego said:

Hi!

I changed squeezelite settings to 32 bit / u32be. Still no sound, and the DAC still refuses to indicate the sample rate, meaning (I believe) a failure in communication between DAC and transport. Attached is the SSH output for cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0, aplay -l and squeezelite -l.

Thanks for your help!

Bild 3.jpg

190409_SSH_output_for_32_u32be.txt 11.74 kB · 1 download

I think you didn't see the PM forwarded to you.

play the audio through LMS

while playing you can see the playing format on allo web GUI or check through SSH

cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

check the volume 100% or on LMS volume settings to 100%

alsamixer -c 1

Allo.com Tech. Support

Thanks, I'll try, true, i saw the PM too late.

However, LMS refuses to play tracks. It recognizes DietPi as a player, opens playlists, but when selecting to play, it switches immediatly to paused without playing.

I believe this is, because somehow squeezlite "realizes" that there is a playback-issue due to compatibility/configuration problems with the DAC.

However, I will see asap if hw_params gives a useful feedback, even if no track is playing.

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

It worked, and I first thought (relieved and ashamed at the same time) that it was a false alarm. Everything worked well, Squeezelite set to pcm 32bit, the DAC set to USB 2.0 and Allo/Dietpi set to USB Dac (for USB 2.0).

However, it was not a false alarm: I switched off everything, and the next day I powered everything on, and there was again no sound. The DAC diesplay reacted when I played files with different khz-ratings, so there was visibly communicaiton between DAC and USBridge. However, no sound... After long experimenting, I found out the routine that seems to make things work:

1. I make sure Allo is set tu USB DAC, then I power off and on ONLY the USBridge until it has completely booted up, while the DAC is powered off.

2. I power on the DAC.

3. Squeezelite is then disabled on Allo, because no DAC was detected at boot-time. Then I enable Squeezelite.

4. I play a Song on LMS.

However, this routine takes several minutes, only to power on... so that can be, at best, an annoying workaround, and I have to log into the Allo-Interface every time. I wish this was avoidable...

ANY SOLUTION to make this DAC work on USBridge more reliably and normally...?

THANKS! Urs

• 2 weeks later...