IGNORED

Battery Pack Danger in cars

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

27 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Thanks for that. I have one of those emergency start lithium batteries, and before I saw your post I was planning on making up a solar cell to keep the pack charged in the car. After seeing this I won’t be doing that. I’ll be leaving it in the house and charge it only when needed and take it to the car only when needed!

George

1 minute ago, GregWormald said:

The emergency starter I like the sound of is the one that charges a capacitor off the "dead" battery and then discharges into the starter.

In this case it seems that this emergency starter must have an internal inverter to step up the voltage a few more volts into a pile of UltraCaps perhaps ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

Thanks for that. I have one of those emergency start lithium batteries, and before I saw your post I was planning on making up a solar cell to keep the pack charged in the car. After seeing this I won’t be doing that. I’ll be leaving it in the house and charge it only when needed and take it to the car only when needed!

They should also only be charged when sitting on something inflammable.  Concrete floor is ideal, never on carpet.  I charge all my portable devices while they are sitting on a small slab of granite for safety too.

1 hour ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

They should also only be charged when sitting on something inflammable.  Concrete floor is ideal, never on carpet.  I charge all my portable devices while they are sitting on a small slab of granite for safety too.

Perhaps you meant non-combustible or non-flammable ?

In this case though, the battery wasn't being charged. 

IIRC,  you aren't permitted to send these batteries by Air either.

They are however useful devices , and perhaps keeping them inside a metal toolbox in the car's boot would be a wise precaution ?

8 minutes ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

Long day, exactly what i meant, LOL. 

My booster never leaves the house, too easy to short circuit one IMO due to rough handling.  That and a car trunk can get very hot in summer, i wouldn't trust it.

I wouldn't either, but it is so easy to leave something like your parking lights on in wet weather when away from home. :$

11 hours ago, mansr said:

That would require a nuclear reaction. Not very likely. Lithium fires are nasty, but not for that reason.

Typically Lithium Ion battery fires generate large amounts of highly toxic gases with the capacity to severely damage health. Hydrogen Fluoride (HF) would probably be the main component, as well as potentially some Phosphoryl Fluoride (POF3).

Certainly you’d absolutely want to avoid exposure to either. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5577247/

18 hours ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

I sssume you meant non-flammable rather than “inflammable”?Not a bad idea!

George

On 4/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

I'm blaming my night time meds.

I use large stone tile from any improvement center.  Put some rubber feet on the bottom and they double as nice trivets for hot dishes when company is over.

Now, I want you to apologize 1 more time so that you’ve met the minimum requirement for such an act...

I knew what you meant, but I know with 8 people in the house here and multiple devices each, it wouldn’t fly. I’d say the was more than likely a faulty device and bad quality manufacturing. With Samsung’s Note 7 battery scandal a few years back, though, it’s not like anyone is safe with buying from a top tier manufacturer either...

With a piece of kit like this, and in line with Sandyk, it’s meant to stay ready for use. If it’s not ready and in the right place, you’re either likely to forget it or it to not be ready when you need it. Which is sad, because you certainly can’t trust them...