Rate this topic

Looking to go with a dedicated digital music server and will require a NAS for the music that I own.

Music library is large, guessing between 18-20T and will archive more as time allows. 

Because of the large music library I'm trying to figure out if a cache of the hard drive makes sense as Aurender and Innous

do this in the servers.

Reading on the different NAS and Qnap, Synology and Drobo and that they can be bough with space available to do the caching

in the NAS itself.

Is anyone doing this and what would be your suggestion or recommendations please.

I'm new to this so sorry for question but need to learn from the people that have a better grip on this than just reading and watching Youtube.

Thank you for your time.

Remote  server cache "serves" no purpose for audio; the examples your are looking at (Aurender and Innuos) are caching directly attached hard drives.

When data is sent over IP the media player will always use a buffer because of network latency and jitter. What becomes important then is whether

the NAS supports value add software like Roonserver where RAAT protocol can offer better results than plain vanilla UPNP. If you use an enhanced server

application at  the NAS and a high performance endpoint, some are finding better sound from increased buffer, likely due to less CPU activity from handling network traffic concurrent with audio playback

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Sorry if I was misleading.

My thought was that if Aurender & Innous both do cache for their servers then why not in a NAS that stores my music.

What I meant is that both Qnap and Synology have  NAS's that have 4,6 or 8 bay hard drives and in addition they also have two slots for 2.5 SSD to cache in order for  the NAS  to behave faster . 

If this isn't necessary then I won't spend the extra coin.

The NAS  will only be used as a music storage device.

Roon, server portion along with the streamer is in a separate box which will be in my music room.

The NAS will be in a separate room so that I can hear anything spinning or hear fan noise.

4 hours ago, rugy said:

Sorry if I was misleading.

My thought was that if Aurender & Innous both do cache for their servers then why not in a NAS that stores my music.

What I meant is that both Qnap and Synology have  NAS's that have 4,6 or 8 bay hard drives and in addition they also have two slots for 2.5 SSD to cache in order for  the NAS  to behave faster . 

If this isn't necessary then I won't spend the extra coin.

The NAS  will only be used as a music storage device.

Roon, server portion along with the streamer is in a separate box which will be in my music room.

The NAS will be in a separate room so that I can hear anything spinning or hear fan noise.

I retired my Synology NAS for audio use shortly after I  compared the improvement gained from having a PC as Roonserver with directly attached music storage

vs playing same music stored on NAS. If your music drives aren't locally attached to your Roonserver, you lose the improvement that RAAT protocol offers over

UPNP play from a network NAS. Just use the NAS as a backup device.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

15 hours ago, davide256 said:

Remote  server cache "serves" no purpose for audio; the examples your are looking at (Aurender and Innuos) are caching directly attached hard drives.

When data is sent over IP the media player will always use a buffer because of network latency and jitter. What becomes important then is whether the NAS supports value add software like Roonserver where RAAT protocol can offer better results than plain vanilla UPNP. If you use an enhanced server application at  the NAS and a high performance endpoint, some are finding better sound from increased buffer, likely due to less CPU activity from handling network traffic concurrent with audio playback

I'm left slightly confused with these responses. I use MinimServer installed on Synology DS412+ NAS. As my music library increased in size I began to notice an increase in the time it took to navigate the library remotely (with BubbleUPnP on an android tablet). I am considering replacing the DS412+ with a DS918+ which has a more powerful cpu and SSD capability with the aim of improving the response when navigating the library.

Are you suggesting that there is no point in having SSD in this setup?

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Nexus 7 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

2 hours ago, DavidL said:

I'm left slightly confused with these responses. I use MinimServer installed on Synology DS412+ NAS. As my music library increased in size I began to notice an increase in the time it took to navigate the library remotely (with BubbleUPnP on an android tablet). I am considering replacing the DS412+ with a DS918+ which has a more powerful cpu and SSD capability with the aim of improving the response when navigating the library.

Are you suggesting that there is no point in having SSD in this setup?

I suspect that if you check under the hood as I did with my DS214play  you will find your DS412+ NAS motherboard is limited to SATA II speed internally.

Making sure the NAS uses SATA III will be my hot button in  a next NAS purchase.

"SSD capability" is advertising speak. All that means is that you get a plastic 2.5" adaptor for the drive slot to click the drive into and that the OS

supports TRIM. The speed increase from using SSD was  noticeable to me accessing the OS GUI applications but not significant, I eventually

went back to WD Red hard drives as more cost effective.

"more power" is always good as your library size increases and scans take longer. To run Roon core on a NAS requires an i3 or better processor... I've

tried my Pentium NUC as  Roon core server and its woefully under powered. UPNP/minimserver  is less taxing, upgrading from an atom processor

to a Pentium processor should help library navigation.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking in terms of adding SSD as cache storage in addition to main storage on 4 WD Red drives in the expectation that this would improve performance.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Nexus 7 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800