IGNORED

Power Supply for DIY computer

Hi

What are the options today for replacement of (noisy) 160W switched brick power supply 12V ?

We went to upgrade few years old machine with the new motherboard and CPU, and the PC became quite unstable.

Frequently does not boot.

No problems with the original, switched power supply

-- Michael

I was not clear - that power supply (Kora MKIII) worked perfectly non-stop for 4 years. It supposedly had reserve for 25A peak, and 10A minimum 

Machine was was somewhat similar to published by Chris, and after few years we upgraded it for new CPU + Motherboard.

Older CPU was 35W, the new one is 65W TDP

The question is what do we have market to offer as a replacement for switched PSU?

1 hour ago, mansr said:

That peak power still can't be delivered instantaneously. A sudden surge in demand will always cause a brief dip in supplied voltage. The load must either cope with this or ensure it does a gradual ramp-up of current.

TDP is thermal design power, the amount of heat the cooling system needs to remove to keep the system from overheating. It is an average over at least a few seconds. Momentary power consumption will at times be much higher.

That depends on the requirements. If you name the motherboard and CPU, maybe someone can suggest something from experience. Also, do you have any power-hungry components like hard drives or a GPU?

No GPU

Just Gigabyte motherboard, 8700 cpu, 2 x 16G ram, SSD, JCat USB, optical drive

The difference is going mainly from 45W 4770T (my mistake above, it is 45W not 35) to 65W

The question bis not 'why', I understand more or less.

But what to do now.

Stay with the switched PSU? 

52 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Did you check the output voltage of the Kora using a volt meter?

If you’re running Windows you could use something like hwmonitor to monitor the 12V voltage rail. If the voltage isn’t near 12V while idling or drops too much when you apply load (eg. using prime95 to stress test) it may either be broken or simply can’t supply enough power or fast enough.

There’s not many high quality linear replacement PSU’s to choose from that can deliver the amount of power the Kora can/could. A Paul Hynes SR7 comes to mind which is unobtainable at this moment, a Keces P8 (may be too light), HDPlex 200/400W.

Yeah, I also thought about HDPlex

I remember once Sonore had switched, but very clean PSU