IGNORED

New Schiit AEGIR amp looks interesting

8 hours ago, arcman said:

I'd be curious to try a pair, however, I do not have balanced outputs (required for mono configuration)  and I'm not certain RCA to XLR cables would do the trick properly. I'd also be curious to read sound comparisons to the Benchmark ABH2. I'm sure over time we'll hear more as more people order.

https://www.schiit.com/products/aegir

I understand Mike Moffat has said "no" to the RCA to XLR trick explicitly on headfi and SBAF.  You could always email Schiit directly and ask them.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

15 minutes ago, crenca said:

I understand Mike Moffat has said "no" to the RCA to XLR trick explicitly on headfi and SBAF.  You could always email Schiit directly and ask them.

I am sure it would work with a center tapped transformer SE RCA>balanced XLR adapter.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 minutes ago, arcman said:

Where would you get one of those?

They sell them at pro audio places. It is the proper way to do this. One could also make one out of a good 1:1w/ CT audio isolation transformer. They can be had for $20 a pop.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 3 weeks later...

re https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/na2m-d0b-tx

Note the specifications:

Audio transformer 1:1
Impedance ratio: 200:200
Source/load impedance in Ohm: 200/2k, (600/10k)
Max. Input level (@ 50 Hz, 1% THD): -3 dBu

Transformer saturation at -3dBu - ? potential for significant distortion on transients and heavy bass unless fed low level signal.

re atomicbob @ https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/wtb-jensen-isomax-pc-2xr.7336/page-2#post-241640

• 4 months later...
On 4/6/2019 at 4:56 PM, crenca said:

Well yeah, partly because those adapters aren't wired correctly!  See Rane notes #110 (Diagram #17, IIRC) about grounding.  All off-the shelf rca-xlr adapters can easily cause ground loops: the shields are attached at both the rca ring and xlr pin 1 and thus, usually, to chassis ground = bad.  The shield should *float* on the rca end, whose ring should only connect to xlr pin 3 (inverting input). 

In the case where the rca ring *is* connected to earth internally on the source, then the loop can be fairly free of hum, but that means the source is a bad design anyway.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.