lasker98

Forum Rules Suggestion

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, rando said:

So go there to talk about cables.  :P

I seriously doubt there are enough members here concerned about seriously examining the merits of cables in the current retail environment.

I guess you missed the recent cable topic that went from 0 to locked in about 4 days.

1 minute ago, esldude said:

I think a better rule would be we don't discuss imaginary topics on cables.  I bet you wouldn't like that rule would you?

....and we're off 😩

2 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

We were lucky enough to have one of the top cable designers in the world actively participating and sharing here. I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised to find out he was driven off by the usual crew that knows so much more than he could ever hope to know.

So who was it?  I've been very busy and looking at few threads the past couple weeks. 

To paraphrase Rick James, "sighted listening is a helluva drug".

27 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I was literally shocked at how hard he worked to avoid any substantive technical discussion. And he wasted a LOT of keystrokes on jibber jabber.  Some people were like, "oh my god, can't you guys be nice to the cable god?"  I felt more like I was looking at a naked emperor.

I wasn't surprised in the slightest. As for being a cable god, from what I can tell, Galen held the title of Principal Engineer at Belden. In most companies, that's a level 3 or 4 title. Retiring at that level is decidedly unimpressive.

2 hours ago, Allan F said:

In fact, there are many members who have shown an interest in discussing their experiences with various cables, e.g. USB Cable Comparisons Sadly, these threads have invariably been the target of objectivist nay-sayers despite both the OP's and Chris' polite requests for them to cease and desist.

So much so, that although in this case there was no direct stipulation , George, despite knowing the feelings of most members involved in the thread, including myself , even sent me a PM AFTER the particular thread was closed insisting that I check the Maths !

Although I do have a great deal of respect for George and his wealth of knowledge, this is one area where most participants in such threads are highly unlikely to ever change their personal viewpoints.

"If you can't hear the difference between an original CD and a copy of your CD,

you might as well give up your career as a tester. The difference between a reconstituted FLAC and full size WAV is much less than that, but it does exist. - Cookie Marenco"

PROFILE UPDATED 31-10-2018

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

I wasn't surprised in the slightest. As for being a cable god, from what I can tell, Galen held the title of Principal Engineer at Belden. In most companies, that's a level 3 or 4 title. Retiring at that level is decidedly unimpressive.

You didn't grok the twinky defense in all of it's technological glory? 😂

To paraphrase Rick James, "sighted listening is a helluva drug".

48 minutes ago, mansr said:

The Iconoclast cables aren't costing that much to produce vs other cable.

How the hell do you know that ?

Have you ever considered the setting up costs ,and economy of scale for very  limited production runs, and the possible  temporary shutting down of normal production lines in order to do this ?

"If you can't hear the difference between an original CD and a copy of your CD,

you might as well give up your career as a tester. The difference between a reconstituted FLAC and full size WAV is much less than that, but it does exist. - Cookie Marenco"

PROFILE UPDATED 31-10-2018

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Have you ever considered the setting up costs ,and economy of scale for very  limited production runs, and the possible  temporary shutting down of normal production lines in order to do this ?

Agreed, the wanker in the you tube is poo-poohing the price for a Nagra portable battery pack, and can make something cheaper by brainless and and being totally ignorant of commercial reality. Miska explains in that thread realities of costs, and there's the liability thrown in as well. Even to setup a cable creation line on its own doesn't leave much change of $500k ++, let alone the setup costs for the tooling, which is $200k+.

I recall a post at Gearslutz who bought a reel of Monster Cable speaker that wasn't used that often, and ended up under the bench for some time. After a clean up, the cable drum was moved and the insulation fell off like an autumnal event. So it's not just good looks, the stuff has to last.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Guess we could all envision how this one would turn [email protected], nice try though!  These guys are just waiting around for the opportunity to pile on to these kind of threads....always baffles me.   

ROON ROCK, & linear SBooster power supply.  AQ Ethernet to DEVIALET mono blocks,  Nordost Heimdall to Magico Q3.  Power by AQ Niagara 5000 with Tornado PC.

37 minutes ago, sandyk said:
1 hour ago, mansr said:

The Iconoclast cables aren't costing that much to produce vs other cable.

I didn't say that. Please make sure your quotes have correct attribution.