IGNORED

Inexpensive Alternatives to the Uptone LPS?

32 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Wondering if anyone has found a good inexpensive battery based alternative?

Want something to power my Matrix Audio X SPDIF 2, 9 volts. 

I found this on Amazon and wondering if things like this are worth the effort? 

https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-11000mAh-14500mAh-26400mAh/dp/B016BJCRUO/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=Dc+battery&qid=1554411883&s=gateway&sr=8-7

There are reasonably low cost (same neighborhood as the battery supply) linear power supplies to be found on eBay that are probably higher quality.  Look for an R-core transformer (radiates less electrical noise) and if you can find what type of regulator is used, Google it or ask someone here (besides me!) if it's good.

Or, if you're handy at a little DIY, you can buy a switching supply or use one you have, and search the forums here for John Swenson's trick of shunting the switching noise to ground.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Thanks.  Are you referring to battery rigs on eBay?

No, linear power supplies on eBay.  Search for references on the forums to "El Cheapo" for links.  🙂

I have gotten the impression that relatively inexpensive battery supplies will not usually be of equally good quality to relatively inexpensive linear supplies (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  An even less expensive switching supply and a little DIY to shunt the noise to ground can work well too.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thought you needed 9 volt?

Then the shunting of power supply noise to ground has already been done internally in UpTone's $17 switching power supply, 7.5 volts.  I have 3 in my system, work beautifully, and will put out less noise than the linear supplies that are several times more expensive.

4 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Do you have a link to Uptone’s $17 switching power supply?  I couldn’t find it.  Thx

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uptone-branded-7-5v-4-8a-36w-smps-with-internal-ground-shunt

56 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Is it good for amber regen?

Pretty much anything you can attach a 7.5 volt supply to, so yes.

3 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Where does this thing go?  For instance, I have a Gophert switching power supply (per Cornan’s suggestion) powering a RUR.  It goes power cable from wall —> Gophert (set at 7.5V) —> Ghent DC cable —> RUR.  

Where in that chain does this shunt go?

In place of the Gophert, after the power cable from the wall.  It has a DC cable and barrel plug built in.

It shunts noise to ground, unlike the iFi unit which puts noise on the line. It's just a simple electrical means to keep noise out of the system, so no need to charge a lot for it.  Certainly if you want to spend more you can.

I use mine fo power an LPS-1, an ISO Regen, and a microRendu.  Love the sound of my system, but I've never claimed to have golden ears, so it's certainly possible they're bad and I'm not hearing it.

The Ldovr looks interesting.  Please note that when using any power supply or power reduction that since electricity runs in a circuit, any noise will not only go "forward" to whatever is being powered, but also possibly "backward" to the rest of the system.